Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...

AHB · 156 · 14133

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #120 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:04 AM

Not in Australia it isn't. One of the guys is gagging for it, checks his phone daily for updates.

This isn't a pro-Apple, anti-Android conversation. I'm simply stating fact.

I like the SGSII hardware... But carriers have a stranglehold on OS releases, and that's can't be good. Apple are being torn apart over bowing to AT&T's demands for a 4G logo, but no one seems to yell very loud when carriers restrict Android OS releases to suit their marketing timetables.

Samsung has released it, if carrier drags its feet it's not Samsung's fault. My own carrier is still on 2.3.3 and I'm not waiting for them.

That puts you in the minority. He knows there are options and is more than capable of applying them, but wants to stay genuine.

It has to be admitted that it is one of the great pro's of iOS that Apple can release OS updates without carrier interference, if for no other reason than there being no hold-ups distributing security updates.

ICS is a bit like iOS 4. It's a mature, stable release that will be Androids coming-of-age. I can't wait to play with it, and part of me hopes that it's good enough to draw me away from the iPhone. 2.3.x simply isn't.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...
Reply #121 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:18 AM

That puts you in the minority. He knows there are options and is more than capable of applying them, but wants to stay genuine.

I think most people just lazy, don't know how or afraid to mess up their phone. There's really no reason to stay with carrier release, and takes 30 seconds to revert to absolutely out of box state if ever necessary.

I assume carrier cannot add bloatware to ios then? That is an advantage, but sorta goes back to how Steve Jobs is an control freak.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #122 on: March 28, 2012, 02:08:54 AM
Was a control freak. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #123 on: March 28, 2012, 02:21:00 AM
Right, I forgot...

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #124 on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:20 AM

I think most people just lazy, don't know how or afraid to mess up their phone. There's really no reason to stay with carrier release, and takes 30 seconds to revert to absolutely out of box state if ever necessary.

I assume carrier cannot add bloatware to ios then? That is an advantage, but sorta goes back to how Steve Jobs is an control freak.

Nope. No carrier bloatware.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: March 28, 2012, 02:47:38 AM

Not in Australia it isn't. One of the guys is gagging for it, checks his phone daily for updates.

This isn't a pro-Apple, anti-Android conversation. I'm simply stating fact.

I like the SGSII hardware... But carriers have a stranglehold on OS releases, and that's can't be good. Apple are being torn apart over bowing to AT&T's demands for a 4G logo, but no one seems to yell very loud when carriers restrict Android OS releases to suit their marketing timetables.

Samsung has released it, if carrier drags its feet it's not Samsung's fault. My own carrier is still on 2.3.3 and I'm not waiting for them.

The whole ICS thing is overblown, it does improve performance but probably makes no visible difference on a phone that's already as powerful as some laptops.

Seems it's time to introduce that guy to XDA forums, although make sure he knows if he bricks his phone it's not on you.

I'm not pro or anti either, but that doesn't stop me from poking the applings for fun.  :D

ICS makes a HUGE difference in overall phone performance... as long as the hardware is properly supported.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #126 on: March 28, 2012, 03:00:06 AM
But realistically when the phone can already run anything out there even when underclocked, the added performance doesn't really make a difference.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #127 on: March 28, 2012, 03:06:26 AM
But realistically when the phone can already run anything out there even when underclocked, the added performance doesn't really make a difference.

True, but application performance and interface performance are two different things. I'm curious to see if the interface performance significantly improves.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #128 on: March 28, 2012, 04:11:07 AM
Yeah, the file management especially is very limited (and slow), hope that's improved.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: March 28, 2012, 08:32:24 AM

True, but application performance and interface performance are two different things. I'm curious to see if the interface performance significantly improves.

ICS now includes hardware GPU acceleration for the interface.  Even on non-supported phones using the generic Android drivers the difference is noticeable.  On chipsets with proper drivers there is a really big difference.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #130 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:49 AM

ICS now includes hardware GPU acceleration for the interface.  Even on non-supported phones using the generic Android drivers the difference is noticeable.  On chipsets with proper drivers there is a really big difference.

Now that sounds cool.

I can't wait to have a play... If and when Telstra pull their finger out...

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: March 28, 2012, 10:20:30 AM
For ripping a part both iOS and Android based devices I recommend a small Victorinox Cybertool with additional torx plus P0 bits and a watch back opening SAK.

I'm lucky and have a modified one with both ;)

I'm OS agnostic, I'll tear 'em apart whatever software they're running  >:D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline SMK76

Reply #132 on: March 28, 2012, 11:36:56 AM
Telstra yesterday launched the Galaxy S2 4G. Currently it is running 2.3 Gingerbread. So I think that Telstra will work on getting the Ice cream sandwich update launched in the near future.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #133 on: March 28, 2012, 12:02:17 PM
Telstra yesterday launched the Galaxy S2 4G. Currently it is running 2.3 Gingerbread. So I think that Telstra will work on getting the Ice cream sandwich update launched in the near future.

They're saying April, but in February they were saying March.

Make of that what you will.

Offline SMK76

Reply #134 on: March 28, 2012, 12:41:59 PM

Stock is available now for purchase.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #135 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:22 PM

I meant ICS.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:31 PM

And no, I do not approve of Apple browbeating AT&T into putting the 4G symbol in the iOS menubar.

It was the other way around, mate.
Thanks for the correction Simon... I sometimes don't put as much thought into my posts here as I sometimes should!  :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #137 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:13 PM
For ripping a part both iOS and Android based devices I recommend a small Victorinox Cybertool with additional torx plus P0 bits and a watch back opening SAK.

After reading your post I realized that, while I know several people that will tear into their computer to mess with it, I don't personally know anyone who is willing to tear into  their  phone.  Are phones that much more complicated or delicate?
Tick Magnet

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #138 on: March 28, 2012, 09:33:24 PM
There are quite a lot of people messing with Chinese "clone" phones; modifying them, adding functions, programming etc..
Of course they are cheaper than apple phones.. :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #139 on: March 28, 2012, 09:40:19 PM

After reading your post I realized that, while I know several people that will tear into their computer to mess with it, I don't personally know anyone who is willing to tear into  their  phone.  Are phones that much more complicated or delicate?

There isn't much to do inside a phone, everything fits like a jigsaw puzzle and the SOC construction mean you can't change component easily. When I take out the battery on mine I'm constantly amazed by how much stuff they managed to fit inside such a thin and small space.

That and the slightest smurf up will cost me $600 or so.

Offline SMK76

Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 08:20:00 AM

I meant ICS.

Sorry Mate. I wasn't sure for a sec there...

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:41 AM

Delicate yes, complicated not really. For the most part you're just playing lego like you do with a PC.  Its rare to ever bother getting the soldering iron out, the parts are small and often mounted in such a way as to require reflowing the solder on the whole board.  Most of the time its just board/part swapping.  If you go back ten or so years more fun could be had, I had a mad slimmed down Nokia 5110 illuminated entirely with extra bright red LEDS :)

The above is a bluetooth headset being converted for other purposes.  Fiddly to work on but OK with a magnifier or microscope.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: March 30, 2012, 02:49:22 AM

Delicate yes, complicated not really. For the most part you're just playing lego like you do with a PC.  Its rare to ever bother getting the soldering iron out, the parts are small and often mounted in such a way as to require reflowing the solder on the whole board.  Most of the time its just board/part swapping.  If you go back ten or so years more fun could be had, I had a mad slimmed down Nokia 5110 illuminated entirely with extra bright red LEDS :)

Nope, this hasn't been the case for quite a while.  Current smartphones are almost exclusively system-on-chip (SOC) designs.  Graphics, processor, I/O and control are all in a single chip these days and it's pretty well impossible to add or remove components.  Even phones with dedicated audio subsystems (like the Wolfson Audio Hub) will have dedicated motherboard setups that you simply can't do anything with.

You'd also be hard pressed to find room anywhere in a current smartphone to add components, even LEDs unless you're literally willing to drill out radiation shielding, body support plates or antennae.

Even my older Nokia N95 (which was quite bulky in terms of phones today) had little to no room to do anything with the internals.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #143 on: March 30, 2012, 03:23:36 PM
If you are interested in phone "modifications" then you need a phone designed to take them.

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f457/
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:57 PM
I just get to play with normally broken freebies or car boot sale cast offs.  And yes jekostas you are correct about the soc stuff, I was thinking more along the lines of antennae, touch panels, connectors and batteries rather than CPUs, GPUs :)   Out of the extended family I think only my brother has a phone he bought rather than one of my resurrection jobs :D

Laptops still offer plenty of space for tweaking. These days though I just try and keep old trashy ones going rather than pimping them, My present highest spec one is held together by parcel tape  :ahhh

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #145 on: April 09, 2012, 12:52:27 AM
I'm going to reopen and old wound here, but I recently aquired a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I've been using it quite a a lot, and enjoying it for the most part, but there's one thing that's been happening that is bugging the smurf out of me...

SPAM NOTIFICATIONS!

Holy hell that annoys me.

At least apps inside Apple's walled garden can't spam you with free iPad giveaways and battery replacement ads WHEN YOU'RE NOT EVEN USING THE GODDAMN APP!

I hope the companies responsible (i'm calling you out, LeadBolt) die in a fire.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #146 on: April 09, 2012, 01:00:54 AM
That's airpush, there's an airpush detector on android market, and supposedly you can op out as well.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #147 on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:55 AM
Airpush is another one, yes, but Leadbolt was making me their victim this time around.

Regardless, this sort of smurf should be illlegal.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #148 on: April 09, 2012, 02:29:46 AM
Damn, there's another one now?

Root the thing and block the process from starting.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #149 on: April 09, 2012, 03:00:11 AM
Damn, there's another one now?

Root the thing and block the process from starting.

Already done :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88