Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...

AHB · 156 · 14131

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...
Reply #90 on: March 17, 2012, 03:50:21 PM
Still love my iphone, and glad I put it in an Otterbox too - these hands are not trustworthy!

Here's a Q for a small grumble I have. Do any of you use a different calender app on yours? I've been using Goocal so I can log in to my gmail anywhere and see a synced up calender, but it lacks functionality on the iphone sadly, so I need to know if one can get to a copy of the iphone calender online which would solve my problem.

Any ideas?

PS: I hate itunes!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: March 17, 2012, 04:17:47 PM
I'm not certain I would agree with the statement that the others are like deer in the headlights.  The fact is that there is just too many hardware options to make software work as seamlessly as on Apple products.  When you control the process start to finish it's easy to make all the pieces fit, but Android and Windows are designed to accommodate a number of different hardware options.  While they may not work as well together as the Apple products do, I do have a choice of screen size, battery replacement & upgrade and other wonderful options.

It all comes down to what tool (and that's all these are is tools) is going to fit your needs the best.  Honestly I like Android better, and I really don't see the point of having 40 billion pixels on a 3 inch screen if the human eye can't possibly perceive more than 2 billion pixels in that size.  By the way, those numbers are used as examples only- I'm sure someone will be along to correct me in a moment...  ::)

Chrissy, if you hate iTunes then you must have a glitch in your programming.  Please report to the Assimilation Department to have your lobotomy reviewed.... :assimilate:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #92 on: March 17, 2012, 05:26:02 PM
Still love my iphone, and glad I put it in an Otterbox too - these hands are not trustworthy!

Here's a Q for a small grumble I have. Do any of you use a different calender app on yours? I've been using Goocal so I can log in to my gmail anywhere and see a synced up calender, but it lacks functionality on the iphone sadly, so I need to know if one can get to a copy of the iphone calender online which would solve my problem.

Any ideas?

PS: I hate itunes!

Do you use icloud  ? I sync and backup my iphone with icloud. It does it whenever its charging , locked and connected to wifi .So you can sync your calender and access it from any computer .

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #93 on: March 17, 2012, 05:30:15 PM
I haven't come around to either Icloud or Siri yet, but I'll probably get there eventually.. :)
 But for some reason I've been running faster since I got the Iphone. Coincidence??  :think:  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #94 on: March 17, 2012, 07:11:24 PM
I haven't come around to either Icloud or Siri yet, but I'll probably get there eventually.. :)
 But for some reason I've been running faster since I got the Iphone. Coincidence??  :think:  :D

I havn't got the "S" model but I have heard SIRI can be quite entertaining if you ask it the right kind of questions  ;)

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #95 on: March 17, 2012, 07:12:33 PM
Since you already use a Mac you might as well.  Apple's big strength is the ability for all of it's products to operate seamlessly with eachother.  If you have one, you might as well get them all to enjoy the benefits. 

Def

well i ended up with an android again  :think: wanted something a little different other wise using my phone would be the same as using my ipad and that would be boring!

say hello to the very sexy sony (without the ericsson) xperia s

it has a higher pixel density then the iphone 4 teehee  :pok:

which i probably should have got, but this is easier on the pocket

EDIT: Dunc for me with apple products always white find it easier on the eye
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:16:45 PM by ryan1835 »
I

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29:27 PM
Since you already use a Mac you might as well.  Apple's big strength is the ability for all of it's products to operate seamlessly with eachother.  If you have one, you might as well get them all to enjoy the benefits. 

Def

well i ended up with an android again  :think: wanted something a little different other wise using my phone would be the same as using my ipad and that would be boring!

say hello to the very sexy sony (without the ericsson) xperia s

it has a higher pixel density then the iphone 4 teehee  :pok:

which i probably should have got, but this is easier on the pocket

EDIT: Dunc for me with apple products always white find it easier on the eye
::) ::)

Well you can get out of this thread then..  :pok: :P

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #97 on: March 17, 2012, 07:31:40 PM
i guess i can, but isn't thread derailment the norm?  :facepalm:
I

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #98 on: March 17, 2012, 07:57:01 PM
:D
uploadfromtaptalk1332010600311.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1332010600311.jpg (Filesize: 29.39 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: March 17, 2012, 09:38:09 PM
That's funny Jie!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline hansthebear

Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:13 AM
I had a xperia x10 mini pro for about 6 months, and it was refreshing to have a physical keyboard again for a while.  Last week I was considering getting a 4s as the x10 was starting to do my head in (because the screen is relly too small for a smartphone).  Looking at price versus funtionality versus what I actually use it for I decided against it and went for an HTC Explorer, which is marketed as an entry level beginner type smartphone but its bang on for what I need.

The iphone has a few other things going against it for me also - itunes, no removable storage, no homescreen, and no flash.  Apple lovers have a conditioned response to the lack of flash debate, which is that html5 pwns everything, which may be true eventually, but meantime there are too many websites I read regularly that use flash (BBC News for example).

Not a rant or anything just an opinion.  Although my phones wallpaper is the android man taking a bloody bite out of an apple.........

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 06:27:58 PM
I never actually removed the "removable storage" on my HTC, so that not a problem for me.. And I still have a problem understanding why everyone need flash on their phones, the Iphone has a Youtube player so I'm pretty much sorted flashwise..  :think: :)
I haven't found anything to put my finger on and it's way smoother, faster and has a bit more "yummy-effect" than the Desire it replaces.. :D So all's good..  ;)

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #102 on: March 21, 2012, 08:33:12 AM
IOS also has a bbc news app
I

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #103 on: March 21, 2012, 04:38:00 PM
I never actually removed the "removable storage" on my HTC, so that not a problem for me..

Not so much as removable but upgradeable. My phone came as 16 GB, too small so I bought a 8 GB card, filled it up and now has a 32 GB card. When that fills I can always pop in a 64 GB card.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 06:51:52 PM
If you're happy with your phone, good on ya.

I'm using Android.  I'm a financial analyst and work has only released software for Blackberry and Android.  Quite like the openness of the system, plus I have a REALLY pretty phone now.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: March 26, 2012, 02:45:26 AM
1) I'm not "defending" Apple.  I'm explaining their design logic.  The fact is that most people don't understand why Apple designs their products the way they do.  The criticisms leveled against Apple are evidence of that, and I was pointing out to people why Apple designs things the way they do, nothing more.  If you want to call that 'defending', that's up to you.

Also, I make my living with my computer; I give ten lectures per week in my teaching job, and I also write extensively as part of my job.  My computer is an essential tool, and my phone is too.  I use it for calendaring, messaging, etc. just as much as my laptop.  In fact, I use it least as a phone than any other function. 

I use Apple's products because they let me do what I need to do more easily than any other similar product.  Thus, I have a vested interest in what Apple does, and how their stuff works.  That's the extent of it for me. 

2) Being a "Fanboy" implies someone that thinks Apple can do no wrong, and can't go without owning at least one of everything that Apple makes.

I am definitely NOT one of those people.  I am VERY VOCAL CRITIC of Apple when they mess something up.  The best case in point are some of the UI design decisions they've made on the latest version of OS X, 10.7, which I think are horribly flawed.  I tried the new OS for a while to see if I would like it and it would be good for me.  It isn't.  I gave it six whole weeks, but I wiped my drive and went back to 10.6.8 because I HATE the fact that they're trying to merge the desktop and mobile OS's.  The result is a UI in the new OS that is inefficient and unintuitive and harder to use.  I've lost work because of it in fact, something that in my line of work is damn near intellectual property theft.  I've written letters to the company complaining about the design of the new OS, and so on, but they have fallen on deaf ears, another thing that pisses me off immensely! 

Also, there are plenty of Apple products I don't have and don't ever plan on buying.  I have no need for a desktop computer at this point in my life, and at the times in the past where I have, a PC has been a better choice for me because of the type of research work and computing I've done in the past.  I don't own an iPad of any version.  I still use my almost 4 year old 3GS because it still meets my needs; I don't line up before dawn to buy every new latest phone or ipad that comes out.  I don't use any Apple software other than what comes with the OS, because I don't need it.

3) I acknowledge the need for extended battery life.  My wife and I use tracking apps to log our hikes and backpacking trips, and for that we have to lug around an external battery with a USB connector.  It's admittedly not as convenient as if I could change the battery in the phone, but again, that constitutes less than 1% of my total use of my iphone, so I don't consider it an issue, I understand why Apple made the design decisions on it they did, and I don't go spouting off about how iPhones are just a piece of overpriced smurf with outdated technology simply because they chose not to make the battery removable. 

Again, I do criticize Apple when they F-up.  But, I don't criticize Apple's products for not being what I want them to be, rather I criticize them for the faults in what they are.  Apple-haters deliberately choose to not see that distinction to satisfy their need to hate everything Apple.

So again, I am not a "fanboy", no matter what you may think or what label you wish to use for me. 

You know, saying you are not an Apple fanboy then going on at length to defend Apple by telling people that what they want is irrelevant kind of negates the whole "not a fanboy" part of the statement.

Still, it is user preference. You obviously prefer Apple and that's fine.  I prefer Android, and I'm pretty certain that is allowed too, although admittedly not in all circles.  All I know is, I am going to appreciate my extended battery when it arrives next week, and the external charger that comes with it, but apparently I'm in the minority.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012, 03:08:01 AM
Well, this is raging on!

Thanks Grant, I'll book myself in for appropriate assimilation ;)

And yes, I shall try the icloud option to view the info online (sorry I forgot who suggested it) :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #107 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
Well, this is raging on!

Thanks Grant, I'll book myself in for appropriate assimilation ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

And yes, I shall try the icloud option to view the info online (sorry I forgot who suggested it) :D

ME  :D :D :D :D :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:52 AM
:D

Well, I ended up messing with that bloody icloud till o'dark hundred, and now I am trippy tired!

I'm seeing apples, not stars.... resistance was futile.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #109 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:51 PM

Let me reiterate; 4G: there isn't a single cell carrier that has a true 4G implementation yet.  And, Apple DOES support 4G, but only on AT&T's network right now.

Heinz let me reiterate:  The iPhone 4s does NOT support 4g.  Apple and ATT have deceived the iPhone users.   The 4G symbol shows up on your 4s because of some trickery.  .  Of course the assimilated iDefenders are explaining it away as usual.  They are saying that it is just as good or even better than 4G.  If that is true why not be honest and up front about it?  Because Apple and ATT don't think you are capable of understanding?   Because they are beyond question and what they say goes? 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/03/att-iphone-4s-update-has-4g-kinda-sorta/

You said in a later post that you are are a "VERY VOCAL CRITIC of Apple when they mess something up".  Will you be vocally critical about this or is it somehow OK for Apple and ATT to work together to deceive their customers?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:11:44 PM by MeadMaker »
Tick Magnet

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #110 on: March 27, 2012, 01:24:52 PM
Not even the iPad 3rd gen supports true 4G. True 4G doesn't exist. LTE isn't even true 4G.

The real 4G spec is years away, but carriers and marketers decided to use the moniker now, to drive up sales.

The 4S reports 4G when using HSPA+ on AT&T because AT&T demanded that it do so because their marketing people were out of other ideas for selling phones.

The iPad reports 4G when on LTE, which is better, but still not actually 4G.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #111 on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:52 PM
From Wikipedia:

This article uses 4G to refer to IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced), as defined by ITU-R. An IMT-Advanced cellular system must fulfill the following requirements:[4]

Based on an all-IP packet switched network.
Peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access.
Dynamically share and use the network resources to support more simultaneous users per cell.
Scalable channel bandwidth 5–20 MHz, optionally up to 40 MHz.[5][5][6]
Peak link spectral efficiency of 15 bit/s/Hz in the downlink, and 6.75 bit/s/Hz in the uplink (meaning that 1 Gbit/s in the downlink should be possible over less than 67 MHz bandwidth).
System spectral efficiency of up to 3 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell for indoor usage.[5]
Smooth handovers across heterogeneous networks.
Ability to offer high quality of service for next generation multimedia support.
In September 2009, the technology proposals were submitted to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) as 4G candidates.[7] Basically all proposals are based on two technologies:

LTE Advanced standardized by the 3GPP
802.16m standardized by the IEEE (i.e. WiMAX)
Implementations of Mobile WiMAX and first-release LTE are largely considered a stopgap solution that will offer a considerable boost until WiMAX 2 (based on the 802.16m spec) and LTE Advanced are deployed. The latter standard versions were ratified in spring 2011, but are still far from being implemented.[4]

The first set of 3GPP requirements on LTE Advanced was approved in June 2008.[8] LTE Advanced was to be standardized in 2010 as part of Release 10 of the 3GPP specification. LTE Advanced will be based on the existing LTE specification Release 10 and will not be defined as a new specification series. A summary of the technologies that have been studied as the basis for LTE Advanced is included in a technical report.[9]

First release LTE and Mobile WiMAX implementations are in some sources considered pre-4G or near-4G, as they do not fully comply with the planned requirements of 1 Gbit/s for stationary reception and 100 Mbit/s for mobile.

Confusion has been caused by some mobile carriers who have launched products advertised as 4G but which according to some sources are pre-4G versions, commonly referred to as '3.9G', which do not follow the ITU-R defined principles for 4G standards, but today can be called 4G according to ITU-R. A common argument for branding 3.9G systems as new-generation is that they use different frequency bands from 3G technologies; that they are based on a new radio-interface paradigm; and that the standards are not backwards compatible with 3G, whilst some of the standards are forwards compatible with IMT-2000 compliant versions of the same standards.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: March 27, 2012, 09:46:10 PM
Strictly speaking you're correct.  But, as I and myvyrmnd have both already said, no current cell carrier supports true 4G.

That said, I suggest you look into the specifications on the HSPA+ standard that is used by AT&T, which has a higher data throughput rate than current LTE standards that are also falsely being called "4G". 

So, your bashing Apple for not supporting 4G "while everyone else does" is a load of BS.  At best it's misinformation.  At worst, as you say, it's feeding people a bunch of lies.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't criticize Apple for not having it when NO ONE does.

And no, I do not approve of Apple browbeating AT&T into putting the 4G symbol in the iOS menubar.    But again, like they're going to listen to anything I have to say?

I could have been clearer in my posts, and for that I apologize.  I honestly don't really take time to sit down and compose these things to be literary works.  I am a vocal critic of Apple; I've gone so far as to make announcements in my classes that I think students should be wary of certain things Apple does... a case in point is the OS X 10.7 debacle... I've told students flat out I think they should avoid "upgrading" to 10.7 because of its design flaws.  And yes, I've told students that their new 4S doesn't have true 4G.  I've also told them that HSPA+ is faster than LTE also. 

Let me reiterate; 4G: there isn't a single cell carrier that has a true 4G implementation yet.  And, Apple DOES support 4G, but only on AT&T's network right now.

Heinz let me reiterate:  The iPhone 4s does NOT support 4g.  Apple and ATT have deceived the iPhone users.   The 4G symbol shows up on your 4s because of some trickery.  .  Of course the assimilated iDefenders are explaining it away as usual.  They are saying that it is just as good or even better than 4G.  If that is true why not be honest and up front about it?  Because Apple and ATT don't think you are capable of understanding?   Because they are beyond question and what they say goes? 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/03/att-iphone-4s-update-has-4g-kinda-sorta/

You said in a later post that you are are a "VERY VOCAL CRITIC of Apple when they mess something up".  Will you be vocally critical about this or is it somehow OK for Apple and ATT to work together to deceive their customers?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:51:21 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #113 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:10 PM

And no, I do not approve of Apple browbeating AT&T into putting the 4G symbol in the iOS menubar.

It was the other way around, mate.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #114 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:27 AM
So...
I was thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S II.
*runs away* :P
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #115 on: March 28, 2012, 12:32:34 AM
So...
I was thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S II.
*runs away* :P

A few of the guys at work have them. They're not bad, except they're stranded waiting for their ICS upgrade. Can anyone say "fragmentation"?

Screen is pretty, very light and thin. If Samsung could deliver OS updates on time for their flagship product, I'd almost consider it...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: March 28, 2012, 12:57:48 AM
Maybe we need an Apple forum?   Or better still, an Apple Lover and Apple Hater forums to keep everyone from fighting?

Or do we just start considering Apple a bona fide religion and ban discussion about them altogether since folks seem to be getting overly upset about what is really just another frigging product on a shelf?

Get over yourselves people- they are just phones.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #117 on: March 28, 2012, 01:04:38 AM

A few of the guys at work have them. They're not bad, except they're stranded waiting for their ICS upgrade. Can anyone say "fragmentation"?

Screen is pretty, very light and thin. If Samsung could deliver OS updates on time for their flagship product, I'd almost consider it...

ICS for SGS2 is already out early this month.

I'm going to wait for apps to catch up on ICS support and a more mature version though.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #118 on: March 28, 2012, 01:15:26 AM

ICS for SGS2 is already out early this month.

I'm going to wait for apps to catch up on ICS support and a more mature version though.

Not in Australia it isn't. One of the guys is gagging for it, checks his phone daily for updates.

This isn't a pro-Apple, anti-Android conversation. I'm simply stating fact.

I like the SGSII hardware... But carriers have a stranglehold on OS releases, and that's can't be good. Apple are being torn apart over bowing to AT&T's demands for a 4G logo, but no one seems to yell very loud when carriers restrict Android OS releases to suit their marketing timetables.

Yes, they're 'only' phones, but my phone is very rapidly becoming my primary online device. It needs to do what I need it to do. If one company provides that, and another doesn't, then which one will I vote for? That doesn't make me a fanboy. That makes me a pragmatist.

It's other people that assume I like the iPhone because I'm blind to all other options and opinions. I like it because it does what I need it to do. I'm not sinking nails with a screwdriver.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #119 on: March 28, 2012, 01:33:22 AM

Not in Australia it isn't. One of the guys is gagging for it, checks his phone daily for updates.

This isn't a pro-Apple, anti-Android conversation. I'm simply stating fact.

I like the SGSII hardware... But carriers have a stranglehold on OS releases, and that's can't be good. Apple are being torn apart over bowing to AT&T's demands for a 4G logo, but no one seems to yell very loud when carriers restrict Android OS releases to suit their marketing timetables.

Samsung has released it, if carrier drags its feet it's not Samsung's fault. My own carrier is still on 2.3.3 and I'm not waiting for them.

The whole ICS thing is overblown, it does improve performance but probably makes no visible difference on a phone that's already as powerful as some laptops.

Seems it's time to introduce that guy to XDA forums, although make sure he knows if he bricks his phone it's not on you.

I'm not pro or anti either, but that doesn't stop me from poking the applings for fun.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%