Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Imperial "Demo" Knife

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Imperial "Demo" Knife
on: April 29, 2012, 01:46:49 AM
I've been looking for one of these for a while, but every time I see one they're beat to hell.  Today at the swap meet I was at, I got this for $25.

It's hard to read in the pic, but the blade is marked 1961, so this is actually as old as the first issue of Alox Soldiers!  It's not as refined as a Soldier or SI, but it sure feels like a sturdy knife.  I've heard that these are real nail breakers, but the walk and talk of this particular one is great, very smooth and no problem.  The only issue with it is that the thumb stud on the bottle opener/screwdriver is broken off, but that's OK by me.  I have to take it to work on Monday so I can say it's a user.  I'm not a collector, I'm not a collector, I'm not a collector...... :P  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Imperial "Demo" Knife
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:04:02 AM
I have '74 and '75 models, and you are right they are built pretty tough.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:01:15 PM
The Mil-K has a bad reputation for broken backsprings, be careful not to partially open more than one tool in a layer to avoid stressing them.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:23:08 PM
A bit of Mil-K trivia I picked up somewhere...

During it's development it was envisioned that it would become general issue and replace the mess kit knife. The purpose of the long shackle was to allow the knife to be hung on the messkit handle for dipping in the wash and sterilization baths provided on the chow line. It's probably the reason for the all metal construction too.
mil_k04.jpg
* mil_k04.jpg (Filesize: 31.93 KB)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:29:00 PM
Interesting.  I was wondering about why they put such a huge bail on it, thanks for that.  I noticed a bunch that had broken backsprings, so thanks for that too.  I'll be sure not to fan it again.  :tu:  I cleaned and oiled it a bit last night, and have it in my pocket today.  It's a neat piece, and damn is that a big can opener!  Gotta try that out and see how it works.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 07:06:24 PM
I also have a unsubstantiated theory that the reason "can opener" is stamped on the blade because the hook type safety opener was a new-fangled tool at the time and they felt the need to identify it.

I read that Imperial came out with the safety opener in 1944.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%