Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Safari

Offline marduk

Safari
on: March 04, 2012, 03:33:38 PM
In collecting Vic Safari style 108mm models, one question has puzzled me. Which models with the saw (utility tool) have saw guards and which do not? I've discovered that the Fireman has a saw guard. All the GAK's, Mausers, & Walthers also have saw guards. But the Hunters are different. All the Stag Hunters do have saw guards, the OD Hunters w/serrated gutting blades do, but the red and OD Hunters w/plain edge gutting blades do not. The Trooper (OD scales) and the Safari Trooper (red scales) do come w/saw guards. The Pathfinder usually does not, but I recently acquired a Pathfinder (an authentic Vic) in Asia and it did come w/a saw guard. Its saw guard, tho, was markedly different from all the other guards in that it had no small notch at its base unlike all the others that do have a notch. When I tried to fit the guard on one of my other Pathfinders, it did not fit.
By the way, when I say a model does not come w/a saw guard, I mean that a guard will not fit on the saw: it's either too small or the saw is too wide.
What's going on? Why do guards fit on some and not on others? I tried measuring both the guards and the saws, but I did not find any difference. I have to admit I didn't use a micrometer. But why the difference?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Re: Safari
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:57:53 PM
Photos side by side of the 2 different saws might help us who have never seen this before.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%