Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kryptonite!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Kryptonite!
on: May 17, 2013, 05:56:30 AM
  Heh. Actually had bought this Kryptonite U-Lock for my Rockhopper back in the '90's. It has a round key even, which I figured made it extra secure.

Went back to carrying it perty much the same way. Bought a cable as a secondary lock only recently which has flat keys.

Anyhow, had found that Kryptonite would give you a second set of keys for free the first time, $6 for additional sets. So wrote them about obtaining a set of round keys as I only had one key. Well... received an interesting email today.

Quote from: Kryptonite Customer Service
Kryptonite stopped making locks with tubular keyways and we have very little stock left. Since you have at least one key or aware of the key number and the lock is not attached to anything, send in your lock and key(s) to us along with a note (no po boxes please) to the address below and we can replace it for you with its current equivalent at no extra cost.

That's perty bonzer of them, offering to give me a free replacement. Kryptonite has a lifetime warranty on their locks.

Got it sent off today, though cost me $20.49 - stupid postal worker... I wanted a flat rate box but she said to get this other box cause it was thinner. Had to buy some bubble wrap, went up to get it sent off and she told me the cost. Said I thought this was flat rate. On, no, it's Priority Mail, I should of let you get the other box cause it was flat rate but it is too late now. /grr

But anyhow, spent the last of my tax refund sending that back. Hopefully will get something that works with mountain bikes & fat tires - and I did mention that in the return letter.

Kryptonite does have this Indigo colored LED light on their keys now, or at least this cable lock does.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Kryptonite!
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:58:52 PM
I worked as a bike messenger in San Francisco for about a year and a half when I was in my early/mid twenties.  All Kryptos were barrel keys back then, and the problem they had was wear on the key such that the key wouldn't actually open the lock anymore.  Working as a messenger, I opened/closed my lock dozens, if not a hundred times or more, each day.  I went through at least two, maybe even three keys for my lock during that time. 

I'm glad to hear they've changed to a regular flat key design; should be more durable.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:59 AM
  Have been looking for a ticket I was given for a drawing tomorrow. Local telco is giving away a 4-wheeler and four $100 gift cards, and for the life of me I cannot locate it. Tore up my car, my computer hutch, desktop, nothing!

Came across my father's shoe shine kit, and found this in the bottom. Was my first cycle computer. Cateye ATC CC-8000, that was just before the solar version debuted - the solar version was way too expensive.

Wished more cycle computer companies would of made reliable solar alternatives for wired computers

Then, of all things, found a mess of split rings. There was two keys on one of the rings, one being the spare Kryptonite lock key! Argh! Oh well... saw a few videos online how people managed to unlock those Kryptonite tumbler keys using plastic pen bodies, so might be a good thing to had it exchanged anyhow. The replacement should arrive today too.
  The lock was sent out two days ago and Kryptonite did not bother sending a tracking number, least not until I asked for an update.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:44:32 AM
  Put a CR-2032 battery in and it WAS ALIVE!! Useless without the hardware though, and not sure if there are any mounting kits that would work with the Cateye ATC.

Am using a Sigma BC 1009, and it works well. Heard the unit & buttons are fragile though. That Cateye ATC was indestructible. Had it for 22+ years and it still came on and was able to set it up.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:13:51 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread. Good deal getting the new Kryptonite lock. That Cateye is a classic, I had a similar one back in the 80s. I can't recall which model right now though.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:24:00 AM
I always wondered how long it would take for a thief to cut through one of those locks.  I would imagine a cordless dremel with diamond wheel, or carbide cutter would make it though?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:29:31 AM
I always wondered how long it would take for a thief to cut through one of those locks.  I would imagine a cordless dremel with diamond wheel, or carbide cutter would make it though?

I just need a sak file and some time  ;)

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:16:06 AM
  This one came in today as a replacement. My God one could use this as a self-defense weapon. It is more than just a lock. This one weighs in about 3 pounds! Liking that 5" x 9" sizing compared to what I had before.

How it arrived

Contents

Had a time trying to find a suitable location for the lock bracket. Thought I had taken a photo of the odd place to mount it, but I got distracted after a goat head and some other thorns ended my ride. Had only a mile to walk back. Miss the long frame pumps of the 90's as there always was a place to put one - even down the seat tube before the rear wheel. This Bell Airstrike 1000 (Wally's World Special) is so annoying to find a suitable location to put it. As such did not have a pump with me. And the tube sealant failed me.

Am I going to be forced to use a Presta, and go tubeless???  :ahhh   Local bicycle shop owner says he has a cure, and it is not the foam core thing. /rubs butt   Will find out tomorrow.

Oh, the key shape is like a lazy S looking down the key.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:27:58 AM
  Got a pic of the Kryptonite ATB lock mounted on the top tube.

Seems to be the only place I'm not running into the lock, or vice versa. Can always slide it in to the Blackburn MtnRack area if not carrying a rack pack. Rattles a little so may have to fin another O-ring or wrap around with paracord.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Offline stelug

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:58 PM
I rebember a video on Youtube about 8 years ago, with a tief opening the ancient krypto heating the back of a bic biro pen with a lighetr and moulding it as a key. After that video Kryptonite issued a pubblic recall for all the locks with round keys alla' over the world. I had mine replaced and sent home at no expense. The factory is demonstrating beeing great trustly appling the recall so many years later.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%