Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photo Essay: SwissTool Spirit.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Photo Essay: SwissTool Spirit.
on: January 30, 2008, 04:24:28 AM
The SwissTool Spirit presents something of a conundrum to the American tool user. A blend of sparse simplicity and complex design create a tool that sets itself apart from the mainstream multi. Looking over the Spirit one notes the complete lack of wasted space, everything has a place and order rules the day. There are no extra embellishments, no art deco holes or blended forms in the metal, just cold European function with the faintest hint of heritage from the American South.

Of all the competing tools offered the one that compares the best to the Spirit is the Leatherman Blast. The Blast is pure American design and execution. From the stratlingly loud click of the locks slamming home to the excessive strength of the pliers the Blast proclaims it's identity, struggling to set itself apart from the rest of it's line. There is nothing new inside the Blast, you've seen it all before. The simple clip point knife blade seen on hundreds of folders to the stereotypical box profile, the Blast is comforting in it's sameness. The Spirit takes this comforting sameness and smashes into the ground. The blunt knife blade, the odd combination tool and the ergonomically shaped handles exude confidence. It does not need to set itself apart from the pack, one look and it becomes obvious that the Spirit deserves it's own classification. The implements click open and closed with a quiet sensibility, one's attention is not forced to the tool but is left to end there on it's own. This conveys not the brute strength of the tool but the tight tolerances and fine Swiss machining. The Spirit is not only different, but in many ways much better. The handles are thinner and more comfortable, not because of inserts but because of intelligent design and smooth forms. There are no sharp edges on the Spirit, it is gentle to the hands and pockets.

This smooth gentleness presents an interesting contrast to the soul of the tool. Although the Spirit is made to work, to get down and dirty while performing it's intended task, it is finished so much better than this. It seems such a travesty to take a wonderfully executed piece of work and slog through the mud and rain while prying, sawing and cutting, but this is what the tool wants. Attack those stuck and rusted bolts, scrape corrosion from a battery terminal and saw through insect-infested rotten wood with this tool, it will be satifisfied with these tasks. The shiny finish is there to get scuffed and scratched, to earn character over it's long and useful life.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Photo Essay: SwissTool Spirit.
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:07:29 AM
Bloody hell mate, that was a very fine bit of writing, thoroughly enjoyed reading it :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:45:08 AM
Spoony and a Spirit, sitting in a tree.... ::)

We all know what it means when a lad waxes poetic like that.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:21:42 PM
After reading that I have to wonder if there will ever be another tool in your life?  I mean, other than maybe a Spirit S? :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 06:45:05 PM
Bloody hell mate, that was a very fine bit of writing, thoroughly enjoyed reading it :cheers:

Yeah, what he said!  :)  That writeup almost brought a tear of satisfactory joy to my eye.  Almost makes me want to go buy back my Spirit.
Splat

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:50:00 PM

Yeah, what he said!  :)  That writeup almost brought a tear of satisfactory joy to my eye.  Almost makes me want to go buy back my Spirit.

It made me want to buy a BO Blast. :drool:
I'm back!!

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:05:41 PM
Spirit all the way!!! :cheers:
-------
Alexei

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:29:01 PM
The SwissTool Spirit presents something of a conundrum to the American tool user....There are no extra embellishments, no art deco holes or blended forms in the metal, just cold European function with the faintest hint of heritage from the American South.

Great photoessay, Spoonrobot!

The only part that surpasses my understanding is the following:  "just cold European function with the faintest hint of heritage from the American South."

What is that hint of heritage from the American South?

N

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:40:15 PM
Very well done. I gotta say you really just sold me on one, but I still think the butterknife is silly. Maybe my belt sander can remedy that.
S

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:32:26 PM
I gotta say you really just sold me on one, but I still think the butterknife is silly. Maybe my belt sander can remedy that.
Get a Spirit S!!! Who needs scissors?!?!?!?!?!?!????????????
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:38:59 PM
Well one thing taht really sold me is the darn chisel. I really think that that is a really cool little piece to put on a tool. However the Does the spirit S still have that silly blade?
S

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:45:02 AM
Great writing Spoon! Hope you enjoy your Vic Spirit for a very long time!

Carlos
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 03:40:12 AM by crls1 »
(

Offline 17Chap

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 03:37:27 AM
Wow, great post! :salute:

I love my Spirit (with scissors, thank you) but I may have to get a Blast.  I really like the needle nose pliers on the Blast, but the knife blade opens the wrong direction.

Chap   :multi:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 04:14:17 AM
However the Does the spirit S still have that silly blade?
Yep. I rarely use mine though. I figure that way if I ever need a sharp cutting blade it'll be nice and sharp.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 05:09:18 AM
The SwissTool Spirit presents something of a conundrum to the American tool user....There are no extra embellishments, no art deco holes or blended forms in the metal, just cold European function with the faintest hint of heritage from the American South.

It was J-sews or lonediver that put me onto this first so they may know more than I about it. But, as I understand it Victorinox bought out Bear MGC (based in Alabama) in order to, among other things, acquire their patent for the Bear Jaws tool. Properties of which are incorporated into the Spirit/SwissTool.

Article

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:16:13 AM

It was J-sews or lonediver that put me onto this first so they may know more than I about it. But, as I understand it Victorinox bought out Bear MGC (based in Alabama) in order to, among other things, acquire their patent for the Bear Jaws tool. Properties of which are incorporated into the Spirit/SwissTool.

Article

Ahhh! Makes sense now. That went right over my head too the first time. :P :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 06:03:09 PM
Only just got round to reading this  ::) Sorry  :-[
  Spoony this is a great review and I really like your style . Well done mate  :D

Dunc

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 06:42:32 PM
Comparing the two, it makes me want to buy a Leatherman Blast.

Thanks Spoonrobot!!  A Blast looks like it'll be next on the list.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 07:56:01 PM
Yes I thought the Blast faired betting in the photos . Cant photos be deceiving  ;)

Dunc

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 04:11:12 AM
Spoon, what do you like more- the Spirit or the Blast?
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:54 AM
As with the other of Spoons "Photo essays", I thought it best to move this here to save it getting lost.
I'm back!!

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 05:33:11 PM
I just noticed you didn't post a picture of the Blast's mini bit driver! Shame!
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:20 PM
Wonderful side by side :) I missed this the first go around ??? glad it was brought back :cheers: I have a Blast and love it I can really see how they compare together in this thread :tu: I like how the Spirit is more compact though :o I am waiting for the 1 that has a PE blade and scissors to cross the deep blue sea before I buy 1 though ;) Great pics and writeup Spoon :tu:

Offline tholiver

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 06:31:40 PM
This thread helped me finally decide to buy a Spirit!
Got one mint on ebay for about $27!
It has since displaced my Leatherman XE6 and my Swisstool in my edc lineup.
The Spirit has very sweet ergonomics, and unlike the Swisstool i don't need long fingernails to open the Spirit tools!
Woohoo!
(When i first got my Swisstool X i couldn't open anything, had to let my fingernails grow out first! lol!)
I've learned to live with Spirits funky serrated blade, mostly if i need a sharp point i just use the awl instead.
I really miss the scissors on the Swisstool though.
Anybody here figure out a way to mod the Spirit scissors?
Might still eventually mod the Spirits blade into a spearpoint.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%