Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck X-Tract Essential

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Buck X-Tract Essential
on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:41 PM
Let me know what you think guys, wrote this the other night when I was working real late while our store was getting some work done on the floors. I didn't find any errors but I could be wrong, pics to follow when I have time.

When Buck teamed up with Outdoorsman Peter Whittaker to create the next line of multitools, I don’t think Buck thought they would be as popular as they ended up being. Buck was defiantly bold when they pushed forward with a design like none other; a tool where all the tools are opened with one hand. This vision and determination has gotten Buck back into the multitool market and given the tool community a product that is both of quality and totally unique. Since its release Buck has produced their original X-Tract model, the LED model (a basic X-Tract with an LED) and the FIN which adds a plain edge blade and scissors to the tool. It was only natural for Buck to take the next logical step and do what X-Tract fans have been yelling about from the start, make the X-Tract with a pocket clip.

When you have a one hand opening knife/tool it was defiantly the way to go, with the huge success of tactical knife sales it was only logical for Buck to hop on the bandwagon. In order to make the tool more comfortable in the pocket but not reduce the function of the tool; they looked at the X-Tract and found that while the pliers were useful in a pinch they were not as good as those found on a dedicated plier based multitool. So they tossed out the pliers and were able to thin it by quite a bit, add a pocket clip and you have the hottest new X-Tract, the Essential.

The Essential is just what the name implies, it has all the functions the average tool guy needs and nothing he doesn’t. The Essential is following in the foot steps of other tools that are catering to people who don’t use all the tools on a multitool. Yes it’s true, we all are not die hard junkies, and it’s nice to know some folks out there like Buck actually listen to us.

When they took out the pliers they also did a few other tweaks as well. The LED and FIN models both feature a rubber like surface on the handles to keep the tool from slipping when you have wet hands. Buck opted to use regular plastic handles because the rubberized sides would make it more difficult to remove the tool from your pocket. The FIN was a change for the series because it featured a plain edge blade, most folks don’t like serrations and they decided to keep the plain edge but kept it polished rather than bead blasted. I don’t see why they didn’t keep it bead blasted, unless they wanted to make it a unique tool in comparison to the FIN.

What made the FIN a popular model for Buck was the addition to scissors to the already popular X-Tract. Most folks prefer scissors to the rarely used can opener and once again Buck listened to the consumer base. The Essential features scissors like the FIN but that is where the similarity ends, Buck took the idea and like a fast food restaurant they super sized it! The scissors on the Essential have got to be three times larger than those found on the FIN. Of course, bigger isn’t always better, with the increase in size there are some difficulties. I find with smaller scissors like those found on the FIN, you have a decent amount of leverage to cut the material, the Essentials scissors are so huge they don’t have as much leverage and I find them having difficulty cutting material such as twine and think plastic straps (like those on packages). If you’re cutting coupons then the Essential will do just fine, but anything heavy duty I would leave reserved for the blade.

The drivers are still the same as those found on the rest of the X-Tract line, they work well in spite of being some what limited due to handle design. They may be limited but the one handed access option makes them a keeper and always at the ready for that job that pops up.

The real shining moment for the Essential is the pocket clip, featuring a clip which is reminiscent of the Buck A.S.A.P line the clip is a little different that most clips. The clip is screwed to the frame and doesn’t ride straight up and down like a normal clip but rather rides diagonally across the tool. I thought it was a little crazy in the design but like my Sirus it rides pretty good and I think the style is just something Buck likes to do to be different. The only problem with the clip I encountered was the thumb stud for the scissors can get hung up on your pocket when trying to take the tool out. Not a major problem, you simply twist the tool slightly while taking it out of your pocket. Guess it was a small problem that was over looked because there was not much they could do about it.

In the end the Essential is a much welcomed addition to the popular X-Tract line. The bigger scissors while kind of a flop are still useful and Buck has put together a winner in my book. I really don’t know how much more Buck can milk the X-tract line before they run out of ideas. Course I will be right there to test it and see how it stacks up. If you already own one of their tools and like it, I suggest you pick up the Essential.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Buck X-Tract Essential
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:17:34 AM
Nice job, David!  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:43:48 AM
Great review, thank you. Adding one to my wish list, now do I go with the FIN or Essential  :think: (plain edge is a must).

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:23 AM
Great review David, that reminds me i still don't have one!

Carlos
(

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:54 AM
While the clip is great, I vote for the FIN. I really like the tactile feel of the handles on the FIN and the smaller scissors. The Essential is not bad, it just is missing some tweaks....maybe it needs to be modded?

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:47:57 PM
great job/read David :cheers:

when you wrote the review about the original X-Tract I think I ordered it the next day

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 01:41:00 AM
I've wanted an X-Tract for a while now, but never bust a gut to get one because I had some doubts about whether it was worth the money. I had an impression that it was plasticky and gimmicky in equal measure.

When I had the opportunity to but a used one from Noth at a sensible price, I bought it, but expected not to be overwhelmed by it.

It arrived this morning and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. Specifically, it doesn't feel light or cheap as I expected, the pliers are far more useful than I thought they would be, and the blade is unrivalled amongst the other MTs I own - it is massive compared to the compact chassis.

I'm also impressed with the screwdrivers - really useful and quite superior to the drivers on many tools I've tried.

I'm really pleased with it, and will be incorporating it into my EDC somehow, if only to mess with during long work-related telephone calls!

I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:48:16 AM
The best part of that tool, apart from the substantial blade and great heat treatment, is its one-handedness. When I started EDCing it I was constantly finding myself in situations where I needed a screwdriver, pliers, or even a can opener, and only had one hand to spare. You won't get that with any other MT I know off... Oh and the drivers seem to be impervious to overtorquing... :tu: It's main downside is its size/implements ratio and its plier head, but you can't always win...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 02:09:50 AM
It's main downside is its size/implements ratio and its plier head, but you can't always win...

You say that, yet it isn't much bigger than a folding knife! I was comparing it to me "beater" knife, a Leatherman c302, which has a very similar (in fact it's slightly smaller) blade to the X-Tract, and that is not a great deal smaller or lighter. Obviously the X-Tract is a bit thicker, but for that you get the drivers, pliers and that itty bitty opener :D

It's a proper blade to isn't it?

I'm quite taken with this and regret not getting one sooner. I think given the choice the version with the scissors instead of the opener would be better for me, but this will do :tu:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 02:21:46 AM
I've always compared it to its MT brethren as opposed to other multi-knives, and have found medium-to-large MTs more pocketable than that. Just look at the Xtract side-by-side with a Skely, Spirit, Old Wave, Charge, and Explorer at the pic below and you'll see what I mean. That said, I loved the little bugger and still do and I will surely miss it as I'd connected it to a special period of my life (and let's not forget that was the reason I registered here in the first place... ::)). Yet, it wouldn't see any use from the new me, so it's surely better off with you.  :tu:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:24:26 AM by noth »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 02:24:12 AM
Well now I know it has history - I'll be sure to use it  :salute:

I shouldn't EDC it though because of the monster locking blade, but that's never stopped me before when I really like a tool ;)

Should I have it send postcards and such at intervals :D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 02:26:38 AM
Hey, don't mock that dude. We served together in the army... :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:36:07 AM
haha - I wasn't really mocking - I'm really sentimental about stuff myself, that's why I have so much crap :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 12:27:03 PM
I've wanted an X-Tract for a while now, but never bust a gut to get one because I had some doubts about whether it was worth the money. I had an impression that it was plasticky and gimmicky in equal measure.

When I had the opportunity to but a used one from Noth at a sensible price, I bought it, but expected not to be overwhelmed by it.

It arrived this morning and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. Specifically, it doesn't feel light or cheap as I expected, the pliers are far more useful than I thought they would be, and the blade is unrivalled amongst the other MTs I own - it is massive compared to the compact chassis.

I'm also impressed with the screwdrivers - really useful and quite superior to the drivers on many tools I've tried.

I'm really pleased with it, and will be incorporating it into my EDC somehow, if only to mess with during long work-related telephone calls!

The plasticy, light cheapness feel was what was putting me off as well.  I'll be keen to see it at the meet as the compliment of tools is actually very appealing.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD