Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

XX on Schrade 885UT Tang Stamp. Neat find.

Guest · 5 · 1819

IzzyJG99

XX on Schrade 885UT Tang Stamp. Neat find.
on: March 13, 2012, 07:59:25 PM
Been looking for a Stockman to carry and use everyday. Was going to get a new-old stock Old Timer that was similar to what I had as a young boy. But I came across at one of the local antique stores a flawless Uncle Henry 885. Weird tang stamp on it. XX is stamped on the main blade and then the "Schrade+ U.S.A. 885UH" is stamped OVER the XX. Googled it. Seems these are factory seconds that don't pass inspection. So I compared it to my other two 855UH's that're beat to hell as a reference. Seems like one of the handles on this XX is too bumpy and thick. Other than....I see nothing wrong with the knife. Seems like this would make it a bit more collectible, in a weird way.

Picture for your enjoyment.
Stamp.JPG
* Stamp.JPG (Filesize: 181.4 KB)

us Offline 82brutus

Re: XX on Schrade 885UT Tang Stamp. Neat find.
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:28 PM
very cool!     :tu:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

IzzyJG99

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:32 PM
I guess the rarity of it means I won't be EDCing it. Lol. Thats just my luck. Go to find a beater knife in moderate quality....and come out with a gem that belongs in my display case. Talk about overachieving. Lol. Oh well. Guess I'll buy the Chinese made Buck Stockman for the beater pocket use.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:53 PM
I like the chinese made Buck knives.  Very good for the price.  Maybe you'll get lucky and stumble across an Old Timer in good shape!   :tu:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

IzzyJG99

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:39 PM
82, I have one on my watch list on eBay that's new in box for a steal. Will still get that for sentimental sake for sure.

As for the Chinese Bucks. I saw a video last night of a guy comparing the American made versus the Chinese made Buck Stockmans. The Chinese was actually better in quality control than the American counterpart. Go figure.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%