Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My impressions on the Balance, Steady, and BG Pocket Tool Knife.

Chako · 19 · 3226

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I received in the mail earlier today, several new Gerber models.  I am going to comment on each of these from my observations and personal opinions. Like everything else, I hope the pictures tell you more than the words, as everyone has likes and dislikes that vary. I can be fairly opinionated at times.

The Gerber package arrived today with the following items.

Gerber Balance.
I have waited for the Balance to come out for some time now. Other than a famous (or is that infamous) early model  that made it out in the wild and subsequently mentioned on this forum, this model was a no show. From what I understand, Gerber withheld this model back from the retail channels to fix and or improve something. This extra wait only served to get my curiosity revving about this model.

First thing, I like the shape of this tool. It is very ergonomic, both closed and opened. One thing that makes me somewhat puzzled is the lack of a belt sheath with this model. You guessed it, no pocket clip either. To compound the issue, you don't even get metal lanyard loop. One thing that I quickly found annoying, there are two bit drivers (more on this later) whose round shape edges past the tool and causes grabbing points with the top of my pockets. I can rotate the tool and it slides in nice, but those same grab points seem to grab something on the way out. If I reverse the tool, the same is the issue. Pocket carrying this tool is a bother either way.

I am a big fan of the sliding pliers design. This possibly might be the first one that causes me some disquiet. You see, the sliding mechanism does double duty. It not only slides the pliers up and down, but also locks it in position. Now the button itself I don't like. Sliding the pliers out is positive and easy to do. My issue is sliding the pliers back down. The button is on a spring. When I try to press down and slide the pliers down, my thumb rolls off the button most times. An easy fix is to stab the pliers to push them in whilst pressing down the button. Be cautious if you use a leg or something fleshy, as sometimes, the pliers refuse to get pushed in....because the thumb rolled off that idiotic spring board button.
 In this photo, you can see the problematic button. Also note the slightly complex locking mechanism on the opposite side of the button. You can also see how far the bit driver barrel sticks out of the handles catching everything it can.

It is quite possible I will get used to that spring loaded button with time. One thing I did note however, on the model I have, there is no way to satisfactorily open the pliers by flicking the tool one handed.  No matter how fast I flicked the tool, they stayed put. That right there sort of negates one of the biggest advantages of Gerber's sliding plier design. On the flip side, there is no rattling.

Top down view. This is a medium sized tool, and the plier size reflects that.

As previously mentioned, there are 2 bit drivers with two dual ended bits. Each bit has a Phillips on one end, and a flat driver on the other. These are not regular sized bits either. Added to the underside of one of the bit drivers is a bottle opener. I kept opening the wrong bit driver until I realized to pay close attention to the colour of the handles. Once I figured that out, I accessed the bottle opener every time. On the positive side, the bit drivers are nice and long. I just wonder why there are two in here. Seems to me a bit storage spot like the Skeletool, would leave that spot open to add another tool or two.

Included in the tool mix are a good pair of scissors, and a half serrated knife blade. Another weird design decision centers around the scissors and knife blade. The scissors are opened easily at the opposite end of the pivot point. The knife however, has the nail nick too close to the pivot, meaning you have to exert a lot more force than needed if they had only placed the nail nick further along the blade.

A very nice touch is the inclusion of a great pair of tweezers that store in the handle at the pliers end.

I do like some weight to my MTs, and I also like metal construction. The Balance doesn't disappoint in this regard. In fact, one could almost say it is a tad too heavy for its size. It won't be something many people will want to EDC. You will know it is in a pocket...just be sure to tighten your belt.

Pros:
- Solid metal construction.
- Long bit drivers.
-Great pair of scissors...just what you would expect from Fiskars.
-Ergonomic shape of the tool.
-Great tweezers.

Cons:
-Fidgety sliding plier button design.
-lack of sheath, belt clip, lanyard loop.
-Two bit drivers seems rather redundant. (to me at least). They also catch everything because the stick out of the sides too much.
- Why oh why did Gerber place the nail nick so close to the pivot point. It makes no sense.

Conclusion:
I was prepared to really like this tool. Everything I saw and read in this forum and elsewhere lead me to believe this would be a great tool. I quickly came to realize that although it has some great characteristics, there is plenty to dislike as well. Some of it are design decisions that are not as user friendly as a multi-tool should be. As it sits, I am not a big fan of the Balance. Your mileage will vary.

Gerber Steady.
Here is some irony for you. As much as I was prepared to love the Balance before seeing one in the flesh, I was prepared to hate the Steady. I do like the Steady, but there are also some issues with it...however, I am prepared to overlook them simply because it is darn cute to use with a camera. This one is definitely a conversation starter.

The Balance features a Crucial like shape that I dislike. I will always prefer flat handles to curved ones. At least, this one does fit my big paws a lot better. My hand still wants to slide up the tool to the pliers, but at least it is comfortable as far as a tool that features this type of handle shape goes.

Unlike the tank like Balance, the Steady is made mostly of plastic, and is very light for its size. The plastic surface is textures, and is edged by a very grippy green rubber in strategic places. In my example, there is a slight twist to one of the handles opposite of the plier pivot point that is fairly noticeable when you have the handles folded away for storage. This does not affect the tools functionality. Cosmetically, it makes the tool look cheaply made.

The Steady's claim to fame is its uniqueness to the photographic world...a tripod multi-tool. This is not designed for your big and heavy DSLRs, but will work with most compacts, cell phone cameras, and other light and portable cameras out there. They even included a cell phone suction cup adaptor for camera cell phone devices that do not feature a standard tripod mount.

You  can see the cell phone suction cup adaptor (green disk) which is screwed onto the standard tripod screw. Just stick your camera to the suction cup and you're in business.

Here, I have a Kodak video camera that does have a tripod screw mount. It is the general size of many smart phones out there. Note the dual foldable tripod legs.

Not only does this cute little MT act as a small light tripod mount, you also get a nice half serrated knife blade, a 3D Phillips driver, a small flat driver, a combination flat driver/bottle opener, and a smaller package opener blade

The tripod legs lock into the body of the tool...so they won't open and flop around. The green rubber tips also grip the body of the tool. With that said, they are easy to open and close. You can tell that there was some good thinking that went into this system. the legs themselves have two stops in their motion, but you can pretty much position them anywhere you like.

The sheath that is included gives you a small pouch to store your cell phone adaptor, as well as the tool.

Pros:
-Neat tripod function.
-Grippy exterior with super grippy rubber in places.
- Nice assortment of useful tools.
-A sheath is provided.

Cons:
-Cheap plastic feeling supported by handle misalignment, Issue.
- When opened, if you squeeze the handles, they move quite a lot inwards.
-This tool just feels rather cheap in construction, fit and finish.

Conclusion:
Despite the overall cheapness of the Steady, I do get it. I am prepared to overlook some flaws because of its primary uniqueness out there, that of a tripod. I can see the Steady finding a niche market. At least it is light enough that most people won't mind having it on their belt, ready to do duty as your compact camera's steady friend.

Gerber BG Pocket Tool Knife.
I find myself a bit of a Gerber BG fan. I like the colour scheme and textures of the line. Not much of a BG fan myself, but I can definitely appreciate Gerber's lineup with his name on it.

This small pocket tool contains a knife, 3d Phillips driver, combination flat driver and bottle opener, and an awl.

Not much to say about this one. I do find the nail nick cutout for the 3D Phillips a bit hard to get at...but that is a very minor quibble.

Pros:
-Love the exterior.
-A good assortment of tools in a small package.
-Excellent construction. It would appear brass pins were used.

Cons:
-No lanyard loop.

Conclusion:
Another neat item in the Gerber BG lineup.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Thanks for the insight Chako. Great piccies as always  :salute:

The Balance and Steady have left me very underwhelmed from what you've shown. I can't see me grabbing either of those at any point. They are novel little gadgets, but neither strikes me as being a tool I'd consider reaching for before leaving the house. The protruding drivers on the Balance along with lack of alternative carry options is very disappointing, and the Steady doesn't strike me as a good tool or a good tripod  :-\

The BG "Scout knife" looks better, and I think I may need to sample one of those at some point. Nail nicks and tool deployment do seem to be the recurring gripes with these from what I've seen so far.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for the review chako, shame the BG pocket knife doesnt have a lanyard ring  :-\ but looks a cool knife,

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Good reviews Chako! I always thought the balance was an odd design, it looks like a stapler to me...
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I did not know the steady was available!

I really want one for me and a few for presents, to go with the cameras I gave as presents.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
And that right there is why I like the Steady so much. Because it ties in two things that I enjoy so much.

However, the build quality of it leaves a lot to  be desired. The closest tool I can think of in build quality is the Gerber Radius. Both have overly springy handles when you apply pressure on them. It does not have a solid back wall...so to speak.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:54:11 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
My impressions on the Balance, Steady, and BG Pocket Tool Knife.
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:17:44 PM
I might try the steady as well. Not so much for edc but would be okay in a glove compartment or camping gear bag. Any word on the MSRP for these tools chako?

Stay multi my friends

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I can't say for MSRP...but I paid around 50 dollars for each off of eBay. 18 for the BG item.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I am talking to Travis about getting a Steady.

I do not think there will be enough interest for a group buy but you can try contacting him too. Maybe we can get better prices if a few of us want one..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jzmtl

I was just looking at the steady earlier in store today. For me the two legs that takes up long tool slots is deal killer. As a MT it doesn't have many features, and as a camera mount it's too expensive. If they had used something else, I duno, like a file and a saw as makeshift legs, it would be a lot easier to accept.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I can't see that working. I know I would hate to use a saw, file, or anything with a two way pivot point at its base.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
cheers for the excellent pics mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

I can't see that working. I know I would hate to use a saw, file, or anything with a two way pivot point at its base.

Not in its present form, but I can think of a way or two to make it work.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Great pics & great review ! thnks Chako  :salute:

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Excellent pics, how do you find using a black background :think: anyway tools, the Balance is an interesting looking tool, not sure about two bit drivers though. The Steady is a novel concept and I can see its appeal and use but the design of those fold out legs, just don't look solid or durable, I've seen that hinge design on other things and it always seems to fail. The BG tool I actually like a fair bit, while not a BG fan its a nice package of basic tools, shame its not, as yet available in non BG colours. Thanks for the great write up and pics :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
A black background works great for me. The trick is to use a sheet of black velvet. Be sure to position your light to bounce off the ceiling directly overhead (will need a flash gun either mounted on camera with a swivel bounce head, or a flash off camera via cable, or wireless). If you position the light at right angles to the fabric, you will get a sea of white dots as each tip of the velvet will somehow reflect a small amount of light back.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Amazon has the steady for 36 to 40 shipped

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Great pictures and write up Dan! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Thanks Bob.

Scrappy that is a good price.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87