Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Byrd Cara Cara Question

us Offline Chain Gang

Byrd Cara Cara Question
on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:09 PM
I picked up a new Cara and the blade was somewhat tight.I had no problems with one hand opening but it was harder than my other lock blades.I loosened the tension until I had a little side play and it was easier to open but I could not snap it open very well.Lubed it with mineral oil and tightened the screw until the side play was gone.Helped a little but not to my liking.I know it's cheap and not a bad knife for the money but is this normal?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Byrd Cara Cara Question
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:37 PM
No back lock knife will snap open like frame/liner lock, the lock bar pushes against tang constantly to create tension.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:49 PM
I picked up a new Cara and the blade was somewhat tight.I had no problems with one hand opening but it was harder than my other lock blades.I loosened the tension until I had a little side play and it was easier to open but I could not snap it open very well.Lubed it with mineral oil and tightened the screw until the side play was gone.Helped a little but not to my liking.I know it's cheap and not a bad knife for the money but is this normal?

I've found that the washers used in the Byrd line need some time to break in - it's pretty normal.  Give it a week of playing and she'll be good and smooth.

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:11:46 AM
Thanks.I guess I have a normal Cara Cara.Not a great knife but really good for the money and if I lose it,no big deal.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:58 PM
I think that's normal for most Byrds in general.  I had an FRN Robin 2 I got last fall and it was stiff for a while when opening.  After a while it worked in and smoothed out, but I did play with the bolt tension a bit, and made sure to clean and lube the pivot.  I gave it to my wife when I got my Dragonfly 2, and she loves it.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%