Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got me an MPT

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Got me an MPT
Reply #90 on: February 08, 2008, 11:21:13 PM
I'm sure he'll accept flousies if you've got some spare, and I'll take a couple too if your offering :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #91 on: February 08, 2008, 11:27:46 PM
I'm sure he'll accept flousies if you've got some spare, and I'll take a couple too if your offering :D

:D

Well I haven't got any spare at this moment in time micky, but it might be an easier way through than getting some diamonds. Let me work on it :P ;)
[

Reply #92 on: February 08, 2008, 11:43:34 PM

Well I haven't got any spare at this moment in time micky, but it might be an easier way through than getting some diamonds. Let me work on it :P ;)
Ok well you've got my email address :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #93 on: February 09, 2008, 09:56:09 PM
Ok, here are the MPT pics as promised.

First up is the tool closed;

My MPT is different to that of Mikes, so I do have the "speed bumps" that Spoonrobot refers to in his thread.  This makes opening and closing very stiff and the handles close with a snap.  Mine also has the file edge that Spoonrobot has.

Next up are a couple of the plier head;

I really like the pliers.  The head is a nice size and shape and looks like it has had little to no use.

Below is a picture of half of the implements.  Here you can see the only real wear on this tool which is on the phillips;

More tools...

And lastly, a pic showing the rolled edges.  I am still torn as to whether these improve the comfort or not. :think:

I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #94 on: February 09, 2008, 10:00:17 PM
Good pics benner, nice collectable multitool is that MPT :)

Is the tool next to the straight blade a smaller blade or something else?
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #95 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:36 PM
That tool is an awl/punch if i remember rightly. The tools been on my list for a while now, just waiting till i have a few of the others before i get one of these.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: February 09, 2008, 10:03:55 PM
That tool is an awl/punch if i remember rightly. The tools been on my list for a while now, just waiting till i have a few of the others before i get one of these.

It is an awl yes.  Looks quite handy actually.

I like the tool, but my biggest complaint is the snap in the blades.  There is none. None at all.  Infact they are the worst I have ever seen in any tool or knife and that includes some knock offs.  But maybe that is just my one.
I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #97 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:16 PM

Thanks :)  My list is always changing, I can't keep up with myself :ahhh
[

Offline cryptrick

Reply #98 on: February 09, 2008, 10:08:10 PM

I like the tool, but my biggest complaint is the snap in the blades.  There is none. None at all.  Infact they are the worst I have ever seen in any tool or knife and that includes some knock offs.  But maybe that is just my one.

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see if mikes is like that. Are the tools stiff, if so it probably wont be so much of a problem?
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: February 09, 2008, 10:10:28 PM

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see if mikes is like that. Are the tools stiff, if so it probably wont be so much of a problem?

Not really.  When the knife blade is open for example it takes very little force to close it.
I'm back!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: March 09, 2008, 05:34:24 AM
For the feature-obsessed like myself; another variant of the MPT. Based on the changes I believe this is the latest model made before discontinuation.

Differences between my other MPT:

1.) Round fasteners/rivets at the plier pivots instead of the hex bolts. Not sure if these are rivets since they are so uniform and clean but who ever heard of round bolts?

2.) The file is ground for a large flathead driver at the end and has the fine/coarse sides reversed. This is the same file model as benner's black oxide version below but his lacks the other differences.

3.) The awl has a nailnick inplace of the cut-out, has more severe angles on the cutting edges and has the cutting edges reversed from the earlier version.

4.) The lanyard ring and large flathead implements are replaced by a thick and a thin washer. This may be due to the new awl design being incrementally thicker than the old.

5.) The cutouts for the backsprings are shorter and less refined than earlier. I did not note a difference in the amount of lock pressure though.

6.) The plier tips are thinner. This may be a simple production variation not specific to this model but the finishes between the two are also different enough that I suspect this was a concious change.

7.) Miscellaneous; the overall finish and the finishes on some of the implements are much different but I'm not sure if this is counts.

So far I think that is 4 different variants. The easily seen features that seperate them:

A.) Scallops on only one side of the handles. "Shoulders" on the handles at the plier pivots.
B.) Scallops on both sides of the handles.
C.) Scallops on both sides of the handles, black oxide finish.
D.) Scallops on both sides of the handles, no lanyard ring or large flathead driver, round fasteners at the plier pivots.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: March 09, 2008, 10:18:07 AM
Great pics Spoon, thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know how long the MPT was in production for?  I thought that it wasn't particularly long, but with all these variables I am beginning to think it was produced for longer than I thought. :think:
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: March 09, 2008, 05:11:48 PM
Hmmm, no idea how long the MPT was in production. ???

There are indeed more variables out there than I'd ever suspected! Take those handle cutouts for instance. Looking very closely, you can see that the longer ones were cut with a milling machine. (An expensive process for sure).

Whereas the model with shorter cutouts was stamped out of the sheet metal that way, then was formed into a channel shape.

I would wager a considerable amount of money that the long-cutouts model came first, followed by the short-cutouts model after Gerber retooled their stamping dies.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #103 on: March 09, 2008, 11:28:18 PM
Only you would notice that Bob.  :P  Interesting thing to point out though.  It looks like this could have run for a few years then ???  I can't imagine changes to production like these happening that quickly.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: March 09, 2008, 11:33:39 PM
Only you would notice that Bob.  :P  Interesting thing to point out though...... 

Gotta give credit to Spoony, I never noticed it before he posted that picture!  :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #105 on: July 19, 2008, 03:00:14 PM
if i remember right,when i bought my rk62 bayonet army knife mentioned on other thread,i got this gerber catalogue that i might have somewhere still,mpt´s were in it and those...plierbased....i just cant remember..hmm.

well anyway i was so sad since i didnt have the money to buy mpt and rk62,both of them,and i choosed rk62 and just drooled that catalogue.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #106 on: July 19, 2008, 03:47:44 PM
if i remember right,when i bought my rk62 bayonet army knife mentioned on other thread,i got this gerber catalogue that i might have somewhere still,mpt´s were in it and those...plierbased....i just cant remember..hmm.

well anyway i was so sad since i didnt have the money to buy mpt and rk62,both of them,and i choosed rk62 and just drooled that catalogue.

Any possibility you could post a picture or a scan of te MPT catalogue page?

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: July 19, 2008, 03:57:20 PM
yep if i find that old cat,i have quite few outdoor/weapon/gear/knife catalogues from last....almost twnety years around.

if i find it and go to someone who has a scanner,ill post it or email to you.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #108 on: July 19, 2008, 08:32:38 PM

Good job someone has sent you one ey.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #109 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:13 PM
I don't know how you could bear to be parted from it :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:51 PM
I don't know how you could bear to be parted from it :D

I do!  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #111 on: July 19, 2008, 10:40:23 PM
Your's was a tad loose as I recall :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: July 20, 2008, 02:46:27 AM

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:18 AM
first thing tomorrow is to call to my girlfriend back at home and ask her has my BO(hey im learning these shortened things) MPT arrived :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: July 21, 2008, 04:31:56 PM
first thing tomorrow is to call to my girlfriend back at home and ask her has my BO(hey im learning these shortened things) MPT arrived :D

Well? 
I'm back!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: July 21, 2008, 04:57:35 PM
nope,but ill keep waiting ;)

the only parcel ive got is some odd package from hong kong,but i sure as H-ll havent ordered anything from hong kong recently.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: July 21, 2008, 05:25:29 PM
nope,but ill keep waiting ;)

the only parcel ive got is some odd package from hong kong,but i sure as H-ll havent ordered anything from hong kong recently.

Perhaps we were just lucky on the quick postage last time.
I'm back!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: July 21, 2008, 05:37:57 PM
i think so.but im sure the pack will arrive someday.

ive been huntin for that kydex to make two sheaths atleast(you know what :D for),but here they dont even know the kydex name in plastic shops >:(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #118 on: July 21, 2008, 05:41:12 PM
i think so.but im sure the pack will arrive someday.

ive been huntin for that kydex to make two sheaths atleast(you know what :D for),but here they dont even know the kydex name in plastic shops >:(

A kydex sheath would be sweet!  :drool:

It might be worth giving Dunc a shout to see if his mate can help.
I'm back!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: July 22, 2008, 03:37:15 PM
Got me an MPT indeed today.

i like the NO-nonsense simple design a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%