Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I just deleted my Google+ account...

AHB · 64 · 3617

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I just deleted my Google+ account...
Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 12:53:19 AM
I still say that you are deluding yourself if you think any of these companies are keeping very close track of what you are doing and all of your information.  Google, Facebook, Apple, Paypal.... if you think for a second your info is safe, regardless of brand you are mistaken.

If you prefer the folks at Google to have your info, good for you.  If you want to delude yourself into thinking that Apple gives a rat's ass about your privacy then good for you.  Apple, like all these big companies is all about the bottom line and they don't have any issues stepping on or over your well being to do it.

If there's less evidence that Apple is raping customers then it's not because they aren't- it's because they are better at hiding it, and if you think you have a decent argument about that then you've probably already had your fill of Kool Aid.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 01:19:43 AM
That's why I use Google Apps, Dropbox, box.com, iCloud, LastPass and Xmarks. (really, I do. I'm 100% "in the cloud")

If everyone already has all of my info, then there's no need for them to sell it - I'm effectively worthless!
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:05 AM
Good luck to anyone stealing my identity.  If they can get anywhere with it then I want my cut...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline hansthebear

Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:23 AM
anyone got any proof of large scale negative effects of gathering the type of data everyone is on about?

didnt think so!

media will moan about what is perceived to be a problem just to cause a stir, i use Facebook and am a big fan of various Google services and have never had anything remotely untoward happen as a result.

this type of paranoia reminds me of some of the pictures in the edc type threads where people claim to carry hundreds of knives on their person all the time, just unnecessary!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 01:43:27 AM
There you go fouling up a perfectly good Big Brother thread by making sense....   :facepalm:

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 01:24:36 PM
anyone got any proof of large scale negative effects of gathering the type of data everyone is on about?

didnt think so!

media will moan about what is perceived to be a problem just to cause a stir, i use Facebook and am a big fan of various Google services and have never had anything remotely untoward happen as a result.

this type of paranoia reminds me of some of the pictures in the edc type threads where people claim to carry hundreds of knives on their person all the time, just unnecessary!

For me it's a matter of principles and morals, or lack of them. I don't like the idea of being stalked so my movements can be used for someone else's commercial (or otherwise) gain. If you don't mind, that's fine - I do, and try to minimise it. Simple as that  :)

Privacy is not just something to strive for when doing something wrong. I have nothing to hide ... but I still want my privacy, and believe I should be entitled to it. Unfortunately todays trends are to publicise everything about yourself (and everyone you know) on whatever online outlet you can, have all your shopping and interests mapped out so your details can be collated into various demographics, sold to the highest bidder and you can be bombarded with targetted marketting ... and if you don't subscribe into that philosophy, you're "paranoid" or "hiding something". Group psychology at it's best ... if you don't think how we think, then there's something wrong with you!

It's completely screwed up!

If someone opts in to having their every movement, thought, and whim logged for eternity and broadcast to the world that's fine - each to their own. My issue is it is becoming increasing difficult to opt out and just live a normal life without every organisation you happen across in a normal daily life trying to leech as much "viable data" out of you as possible whether you are happy for them to do that or not AND there should be nothing wrong or "suspect" with wanting to opt out without losing real world functionality

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Biru

Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:48 PM
Here Here! :salute:

To be honest, I don't lie awake at night waiting for jackboot thugs from Google to come storming into my home. And from my searches they'll learn little about me other than my hobbies and perhaps medical searches I've done. I suppose it's a bit like Google's smarmy CEO opined: If you're worried about what we know, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it (rough quote).

But when Google has a cage full of ravenous rats strapped to your face, don't come begging for one of my multitools to loosen the straps! :climber:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:46 PM
So you're the one who keeps searching for "Why does my elbow smell like turnips?" to stack the autocomplete results!
:rofl:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 08:31:25 PM
For me it's a matter of principles and morals, or lack of them. I don't like the idea of being stalked so my movements can be used for someone else's commercial (or otherwise) gain. If you don't mind, that's fine - I do, and try to minimise it. Simple as that  :)

That! I totally agree.

As for negative effects, do you really like the idea of a society where PR-people know that much about people? Where corporations gain even more power? Nobody is interested in you. Identity theft and Russian mobsters is not the problem here. Corporations are interested in markets. Your personal tastes, habits, friends are only relevant to the degree they can be used to identify you more precisely towards advertisers and salesmen. When you use a service paid for by advertisers, be it commercial television or Google search, remember, you are not the customer, you are the product.

Ironically, I work in this business.

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 05:12:12 AM
Privacy is not just something to strive for when doing something wrong. I have nothing to hide ... but I still want my privacy, and believe I should be entitled to it. Unfortunately todays trends are to publicise everything about yourself (and everyone you know) on whatever online outlet you can, have all your shopping and interests mapped out so your details can be collated into various demographics, sold to the highest bidder and you can be bombarded with targetted marketting ... and if you don't subscribe into that philosophy, you're "paranoid" or "hiding something". Group psychology at it's best ... if you don't think how we think, then there's something wrong with you!

It's completely screwed up!

If someone opts in to having their every movement, thought, and whim logged for eternity and broadcast to the world that's fine - each to their own. My issue is it is becoming increasing difficult to opt out and just live a normal life without every organisation you happen across in a normal daily life trying to leech as much "viable data" out of you as possible whether you are happy for them to do that or not AND there should be nothing wrong or "suspect" with wanting to opt out without losing real world functionality

Hear hear.

I'm by no means any kind of criminal, subversive, radical, or the like.  While my political views are definitely leftward on some things, I'm a pretty ordinary, law abiding guy.  In general my motto is 'no blood - no foul'.  But still, I don't like the fact that companies are intentionally tracking and recording everything I do online for the explicit purpose of selling it to make a buck.  That's what Google is explicitly doing, and it really cheezes me off. 

I also participate in almost no social media.  I do have a Facebook membership, but that's primarily because many of my old friends from HS do, and relatives as well, so it's a good way to keep in touch with them.  I also have everything set to the highest level of privacy I can, and I've got some plug-ins for my browser that hide the ad bars and automatically block tracking cookies from FB and the like.

That said, I feel comfortable posting here, because I feel I can trust you guys.  I wouldn't have posted a couple pics of my wife in other threads by now if I didn't!

In general though, I agree that it's getting harder and harder to opt-out of anything you do electronically, and that seems very Orwellian to me, and I'm tired of having to constantly monitor the few things I do online for privacy issues and the like.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:59 PM
This is the trade off isn't it?

You click on a youtube video, they track that information--even if you don't allow cookies, there are ways to statistically track your "type"

Every podcast, every itune download, free or not, that corp is using that valuable information about your choices and even what you're willing to pay for.

The greatest data acquisition device ever invented?  The "Like" button.

Amazon.com (especially if you become a "registered" reviewer), Zappos.com, heck even the little online retailers like Moosejaw track as much data as they can.

Anyone who wishes to single out Google and don the tinfoil hat, fine, that's their choice but honestly, if you have online activity, your demographic data is out there and likely has been sold many, many times.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 02:35:57 PM
I just Googled "hermit" and got 22,300,000 results.  If Google has detailed information on hermits, you can bet they know about you.  :P

I'm certain if Apple had a searchable database available you'd get a lot of hits searching for hermits too.

Def

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:05 PM
Couldn't figure out how to embed

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 01:52:59 PM
Are you sure about that?

:D

Def

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 12:45:52 AM
:D

My boys are pestering me for book three at the moment.  I've made them wait since last summer  >:D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 12:55:33 AM
Good idea to make them wait- after the Prisoner of Azkaban the books get pretty adult.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 12:22:31 PM
I watched the 1st couple of films but then it got too confusing ::) for me to bother watching any more, though the lead girl turned out to be quite nice, I hear.  :think: 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 04:08:55 PM

Emma Watson....  the reason I became a dirty old man!

Seriously the movies were a bit confusing only because of the depth of the books.  They had to cut a lot out of the books to make the films, but then realized that all the things they cut out actually played important roles later on in the series, and so tried to stick them back in while cutting out other things due to time constraints.

There are a few spots in the movies that get that much more confusing because the scenes aren't edited well.  In one that sticks out in my mind, Harry and Dumbledore are in Dumbledore's office talking, then a quick camera cut and Dumbledore and Snape are in Dumbledore's office talking, and while you are confused as to wtf happened, Harry comes walking in wearing different clothing than he was ten seconds before.

You really do have to read the books to understand the movies.... fortunately the books are an excellent read.

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 06:08:59 PM
What was the original subject of this thread again..?  :think: :think:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 06:10:06 PM
What was the original subject of this thread again..?  :think: :think:

Just Google it.....

:rofl:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 07, 2012, 08:52:02 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Emma Watson....  the reason I became a dirty old man!
+1  :tu:

In my case, it was more that she ended up bringing out the dirty old man that was already there.

In fact, when I saw the second movie with my wife, I remember telling her at one point that I thought Emma Watson was going to grow up into a total babe... she was sort of disgusted by my comment at the time, but now of course I've been totally vindicated!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09:19 PM
Well, I suppose it wasn't an accurate statement- I was a dirty old man when I was still in my teens!  :ahhh

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #52 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:23 PM
For the Apple people:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2125496/Apple-computers-infected-Flashback-Trojan-virus-rude-awakening-Mac-users.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

.. and a couple of pictures for the rest of us, to get the thread back on topic  :tu:
emma_watson_6.jpg
* emma_watson_6.jpg (Filesize: 52.24 KB)
emma_watson_1.jpg
* emma_watson_1.jpg (Filesize: 49.33 KB)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:24:42 PM by dks »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #53 on: April 07, 2012, 09:33:17 PM
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: April 08, 2012, 11:58:58 PM
For the Apple people:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2125496/Apple-computers-infected-Flashback-Trojan-virus-rude-awakening-Mac-users.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

:rofl: :rofl:  About time the russian hackers gave them a turn.
Only a problem if you don't use a Flash permissions plug-in, like I do.  Flash is notorious for its security flaws and it's crappy coding that unnecessarily sucks processor cycles.  I will be cheering loudly on the day that HTML 5 completely replaces Flash.  I hate Flash.

DIE FLASH!!! DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE!!!   :rant:  :rant:  :rant:

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:23 AM
The problem is that there are many people that I know that are Mac users that truly believe that Macs are immune to all the nasty stuff on the web when the reality is that no one bothers to make viruses to a operating system that only count for like 15% of the market when Windows covers 80%.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:11 AM
For the Apple people:

Only a problem if you don't use a Flash permissions plug-in, like I do.  Flash is notorious for its security flaws and it's crappy coding that unnecessarily sucks processor cycles.  I will be cheering loudly on the day that HTML 5 completely replaces Flash.  I hate Flash.

I also think flash has ruined the web, but that's another rant.  The reports though said it was a java exploit, not a flash based one.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:12 AM
For the Apple people:

I also think flash has ruined the web, but that's another rant.  The reports though said it was a java exploit, not a flash based one.

Correct.  It's a Java based virus.  Completely unrelated to Flash.

Die Java Die?

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 03:01:17 AM
For the Apple people:

Correct.  It's a Java based virus.  Completely unrelated to Flash.

Die Java Die?

I wouldn't shed a tear for either of them...
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:19 AM
Yes, Flash has ruined the web, but yes, that is another debate/rant entirely.

I hate Java too.  A developer friend of mine calls it "C minus minus".  It also has made significant contributions to the ruination of the web. 

Both should be taken out behind the virtual barn and have cyber-bullets put between their metaphorical eyes.

I just updated to the latest version of Java that has the patch for this vulnerability, and I also use a couple of different plug-ins that allow me to kill Flash and control its permissions.  I also have Java set so that it can't do anything requiring authentication without notifying me.

So, in the interest of spreading the love evenly...

DIE JAVA!!!  DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!   :rant:  :rant:  :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%