Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sick Cold Steel review!!!!!!!!!!!

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Re: Sick Cold Steel review!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 10:10:59 AM
I think Lynn is what keeps me from ever buying Cold Steel products. I just can't take the guy seriously. He strikes me as the archetype for all mall ninjas. But then again, I don't use throwing stars, war clubs, katanas, cutlasses, or plastic knives...
I'm not saying that Cold Steel products are bad (nor am I saying they are good), but seriously WTF is with some of the things they come up with!  :think:

Then again its probably because I'm not cool enough to handle the SICKness of it... :rofl:
(insert witty quote)

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
I think Lynn is what keeps me from ever buying Cold Steel products. I just can't take the guy seriously. He strikes me as the archetype for all mall ninjas.  :think:

Yea Lynn Thomas is a comical character but i give him his props. He is a genius. He knows what sells to the masses and after all that's what a business is ultimately about. But at the same time Cold Steel makes a DAMN GOOD knife for the money and in the end he they end up getting money from the mall ninjas and serious knife users too.
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 09:18:01 AM
He definitely is way out there. I must admit, I have been curious of their swords of late however.

As for the videos in this thread...a good laugh.  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Splat

Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:09 PM
I don't hate the guy but he has gotten really full of himself and the reviews seem to be about him and not the knife, multi, etc..........

Geez, I can't agree more, and I thought that the first time I saw one of his vids last year...or two years ago. He likes to hear himself talk and I don't think his reviews are stellar.
Splat

us Offline Splat

Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 05:31:19 PM
I think Lynn is what keeps me from ever buying Cold Steel products. I just can't take the guy seriously. He strikes me as the archetype for all mall ninjas. But then again, I don't use throwing stars, war clubs, katanas, cutlasses, or plastic knives...
I'm not saying that Cold Steel products are bad (nor am I saying they are good), but seriously WTF is with some of the things they come up with!  :think: Then again its probably because I'm not cool enough to handle the SICKness of it... :rofl:

I used to think the same way until I bought my first CS knife, an American Lawman. I was blown away by the ergos and especially the Triad Lock. I've since bought the Hold Out II and loved it until it was stolen. I'd buy another but the CRKT Folding Razel is my new EDC. I wish it had the Triad Lock but they did well with overall fit and finish. Thinking back now on the whole CS/Lynn hating thing I think it's silly for dismissing the whole CS line because of the guy. I'm not Lynn fanboy by any means but there are some damn good CS knives out today and so far I've had the pleasure of owning two of them.  :tu:
Splat

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 09:27:28 PM
I just ordered a cold steel small sword out of curiosity.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 04:12:32 AM

Get the shield to go with it?  Natural pairing, really.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:14 PM
A shield with a small sword?  :think:

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 10:02:25 PM
I see how the throwing stars are useful.  Most thieves carry a two litre of grape soda while committing a crime so you can nail that sucka and mark them so it's easier for the cops to catch them later.     :twak:

Those guys wouldn't make it in the elite pro Mall ninja core, they have too long of a throwing motion, not a quick enough release to make it in the pros and are overstriding when they throw.   :pok:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Sick Cold Steel review!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:55 PM
If it weren't for the fact that throwing stars would likely see me take a taxpayer funded holiday, i'd have them just to throw at soft drink (soda) bottles. It did look like a bit of fun :)

Those three guys were the polar opposite of the image I had in my head for 'mall ninjas'...
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:20 PM
I did handle one a few years ago when they first came out.  As you'd expect they are well made, but also much heavier than any original piece I've ever held.  Cold Steel make good swords, but they've got to start putting them on a diet. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:05 AM
Yes, at 1 pound 6 ounces, it is heavy for this type of sword. Just, not many are making a small sword at all these days. That and I wanted to closely examine a Cold Sword piece for the first time.

Here is a great article on the weight of period pieces.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:42 PM
I'm not saying that Cold Steel products are bad (nor am I saying they are good), but seriously WTF is with some of the things they come up with!  :think:

Then again its probably because I'm not cool enough to handle the SICKness of it... :rofl:

My name for Thompson is "Star Wars kid", cause that's who he reminds me of.

In all honesty, CS generally doesn't skimp on quality, but I look at some of the utterly whacko designs and think they're so wasting good effort on silliness.  (And I really can't remember the last time I needed to EDC an assegai... :facepalm:)

I have a grand total of 4 CS knives, 2 (original AK-47 & Spartan) bought as gags, and 2 (folding Bushman & Mini-AK) that I do use.  (The Bushman in my tool pack, used around the farm on occasion, and the Mini as an occasional change for my usual "large folder".)  I won't buy any more from them, to be honest.  They just don't "do it" for me.
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40:53 AM
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00