Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone here pocket carry a full sized multi?

Benner · 49 · 4222

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Anyone here pocket carry a full sized multi?
on: February 02, 2008, 02:07:28 PM
I have never really got on with wearing a sheath on my belt as they just seem to dig in me all the time (especially uncomfortable when you are as skinny as me), so I have always pocket carried my multitools in their sheaths, but now I am thinking on carrying them without a sheath.

Does anyone here not use a sheath and just pocket carry a full sized multitool?  How do you get on with it?

Thanks

Ben

I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Anyone here pocket carry a full sized multi?
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:17:18 PM
Well I have carried the Charge with the clip But found it to be kind of a pain to get by the tool to get something lower in the pocket. So back on the belt it went. However the Juice series does lend itself to be carried quite comfortably in the pocket.

The problem with most tools lies in the length. Some find it no problem, but I really cant be bothered. Plus in my line of work stuff on the belt really is not a problem. If I wore a suit all day then it would raise some eyebrows, but I have wore the juice in a sheath but clipped it to the pocket so the tool was inside.

Not to get OT but I really find it funny that the Zilla has a pocket clip. :ahhh

Try to carry that one!!!   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:19:11 PM by hawkchucker »
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:26:59 PM
I carry my Juice in a sack-up and that works pretty well.

I am happy with the size, I think I just started carrying them in my pockets in sheaths as that offered the tool some sort of protection, but as I have a pocket that I just dedicate to my multitool (I have a specific pocket for everything) I suppose that it is not really needed.

OT I know, but is everyone like me and have a specific pocket for everything so you know where everything is?  Or do you just bung everything where there is a space?
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 02:30:06 PM
I work in a cubeyland business casual computer environment so wearing a multi-tool on my belt would never raise eyebrows.  Several of my co-workers carry SAK's.  But I don't usually EDC because the need is not their.  Carrying one in the pocket is not practical.  But Many men now have laptop cases, briefcases or backpacks which makes that an ideal location for EDC and of course women have purses.  Since I usually have something like that with me I would put it there instead of on my belt.  I usually have a backpack at work.  I wonder if I should try a purse  :D.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:45:14 PM
When I was active in EMS,the equipment we had to take on scene was a large enough load,and I minimized the personal EDC as much as I could,and to this day,when I carry a full size multi,it's normally something pocket friendly,like a PST,PST II,or Spirit.
I

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:54:01 PM
All I do is pocket carry, I used a sheath maybe twice last year.

Never really had a problem with size or weight, I've carried everything from the Squirt to the Freehand in my left front pocket, next to my wallet to keep the tool vertical.

us Offline Splat

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 05:14:18 PM
I carry my LM Core horizontally on my belt. Less obtrusive and just wears better for me like this. I'm going to try making a Kydex sheath to carry both my Core and my cellphone in one unit.
Splat

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 05:26:17 PM

Never really had a problem with size or weight, I've carried everything from the Squirt to the Freehand in my left front pocket, next to my wallet to keep the tool vertical.

Yah but have you ever poked yourself in your Happy Place?
S

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 05:41:24 PM
I pocket carry my Spirit S all the time. When I'm wearing jeans and slacks it's no big deal. However, it's a little heavy in sweat pants.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 07:01:33 PM

Do you ever find the tools full of lint etc though?
I'm back!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 07:52:48 PM
I've only poked myself once. I was renting a movie and had retrieved my wallet from my pocket to produce my rental card. Without the wallet in the pocket the Gerber I was carrying "fell over." The nice lady handing me my change missed my hand by about an inch and dropped a few bills on the ground. As I bent to pick them up the tip of the pliers, which pokes up from the handle when closed on the Multi-Plier series, was somehow propelled into my crotch with great force. I let out an embarassingly loud groan, tried to smile at the clerk and then grabbed my copy of Hot Fuzz and limped quickly to my car. Wherein I had a nice cry.

My tools get pretty linty, it never affects the function, it's just kind of there.

Offline cryptrick

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 08:01:46 PM
I nearly always carry mine just in my pocket. Like you Benner, I tend to put them in a sack-up sometimes. Wearing it on my belt is fine with me but in my job I would stick out like a sore thumb with a huge belt pouch and tool so I dont tend to do that. When I'm out on a bike ride I will sometimes have it on my belt but mainly its just in my pocket.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 08:05:31 PM
I nearly always carry mine just in my pocket. Like you Benner, I tend to put them in a sack-up sometimes. Wearing it on my belt is fine with me but in my job I would stick out like a sore thumb with a huge belt pouch and tool so I dont tend to do that. When I'm out on a bike ride I will sometimes have it on my belt but mainly its just in my pocket.

I only have a 4" sack-up.  Have you got any of the 5" ones?  Do they hold the swisstool well?
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 08:16:57 PM
I don't. When I put on my pants I clean out my pockets of all the lint and boogers.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 08:18:58 PM
I don't. When I put on my pants I clean out my pockets of all the lint and boogers.

Perhaps I should invest in a mini hoover :think:. :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 08:19:52 PM
Do they make a pocket model?

Offline cryptrick

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 08:21:51 PM

I only have a 4" sack-up.  Have you got any of the 5" ones?  Do they hold the swisstool well?

Yeah I have the 5" ones. The standard Swisstool fits very snuggy in them :)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 08:22:21 PM
Do they make a pocket model?

You never know these days! ::)

When I worked in electronics it was amazing how many types there were.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 08:23:21 PM

Yeah I have the 5" ones. The standard Swisstool fits very snuggy in them :)

Hmmmm might have to get me some of them then.  Shame they only come in 6's. :(
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 08:55:50 PM
I regularly carry my multi on a belt sheath.  My pockets would be too uncomfortable if I tried to carry a Powerlock or Swisstool (my two main EDC tools) without a sheath.  It's also easier to get to them with one hand if you're kneeling down or otherwise not able to get to your pockets easily.

I always either have an overshirt or tshirt untucked, so that covers the sheath and no one knows I'm carrying anything.

I do however pocket carry an old Wave when I'm at home/outside with my BB gun.  Either in my HUGE coat pockets of my M-65 coat in the winter, or my jeans in the summer.  The old Wave is great for removing a BB/pellet from the chamber :salute:

[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 09:41:27 PM
Much like Bretons' view on slavery, I will never never never dress up in the bag of fruit to get on with rich Colorful Enunciations.

That said, I've reduced just how much CRAP I tote around in my pockets - bulging and clanking etc.

I've found the sheath quite complimentary really, my one is a medium brown with light designs. It doesn't stand out much, but it gives the impression I might know what I'm doing (It's well known that the guy with the Leatherman is the guy who gets to make all the decisions. He's got a leatherman, he must know what he's doing!)

The big plus for me of the sheath over a pocket clip or other possibilities is that it protects the world from your multi - Running a scratch down a 911 as you walk past is not a good look.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:45:04 AM by Nomad »

Offline FredKJ

Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 01:46:37 AM
OK you Brits I know we are two countries seperated by a common language so what the heck is a sack-up?  Me, well if I carry a purse I am unlimited, lol.  At least here in the colonies except for schools, airports and govt. buildings I am never uncomfortable carrying something on my belt.  There aren't many places I would go where a multi-plier on my belt would raise eyebrows including the place I work.  I wonder how long that will last.  So carrying one in my pocket on a normal basis is something I just don't have to do.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 04:34:09 AM
OK you Brits I know we are two countries seperated by a common language so what the heck is a sack-up?  Me, well if I carry a purse I am unlimited, lol.  At least here in the colonies except for schools, airports and govt. buildings I am never uncomfortable carrying something on my belt.  There aren't many places I would go where a multi-plier on my belt would raise eyebrows including the place I work.  I wonder how long that will last.  So carrying one in my pocket on a normal basis is something I just don't have to do.
              A sack-up is a silicone treated pouch made in varying lengths,great for pocket carry of thing s like a Juice with it's anodized scales.I was first made aware of sack-ups through posts by the Unknown VT in SOSAK.
http://www.sackups.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=6
http://www.knivesplus.com/SACKUPS.HTML
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 09:40:48 AM
              A sack-up is a silicone treated pouch made in varying lengths,great for pocket carry of thing s like a Juice with it's anodized scales.I was first made aware of sack-ups through posts by the Unknown VT in SOSAK.
http://www.sackups.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=6
http://www.knivesplus.com/SACKUPS.HTML

I have a 4" one on my Juice (but you already know that Bison  ;)) and I am being sent a 5" one for my Swisstool and Supertool (cheers Cryptrick! :)).  That way the tools are covered so lint etc doesn't get in it, but it is a little smaller and easier to carry than a sheath in your pocket.
I'm back!!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 06:53:23 AM
I never carry multitools with sheaths. I either use the pocket clip models or just pocket carry them. This makes it hard with some of the larger tools like the Core or SwissTool. But I just don't like sheaths. I have a drawer full of sheaths that never get used.
"

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 04:35:08 PM
I used a cut down eyeglass case (sold in the drug department at Walmart and other stores) to pocket carry a Victorinox One Hand Trekker for a while.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 12:36:54 AM
I don't carry anything bigger than a Juice free in my front pocket.

I have a little rig that I got for $1 at home depot... It's a carabiner with about 2 inches of cloth attatched, with a keyring at the end of it. I put a little clip on the end of that (off a photon light). I clip the carabiner to my belt-loop and the tool hangs in my pocket just like if it had a clip. Works pretty well.

I also will drop a 4" tool in cargo's side pockets.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 12:42:12 AM

I did that for a while but I had way too much swing in my pants when walking.

I've seen those carabiners before but never though of the EDC possibilites, I will have to get a few now, seems like a good de-facto pocket clip.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 12:43:43 AM

I did that for a while but I had way too much swing in my pants when walking.

I've seen those carabiners before but never though of the EDC possibilites, I will have to get a few now, seems like a good de-facto pocket clip.
Yeah, the cargo's work, but they sure aren't ideal.

For me the tricky part about the carabiner rig was finding an alagator clip (I think that's the right name) that was thin enough to slip in small lanyard rings like on the Juice, etc. The photon freedom's clip works great, but now I've got a light with no clip. ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:46:21 AM by NeitherExtreme »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 06:52:23 AM
How to pocket-carry sans lint?

Unless someone wants to send me a SwissTool to even the weight distribution...

(Just pausing to give people some time to consider this option before I continue)

I can't carry my Surge on my belt without walking crooked.
Fortunately, by & large, my trousers are the sort with Phone-pockets, or at least a pocket vaguely Surge-sized (I have one pair with three such pockets, plus two that suit a SAK or small multi, & one that suits a zippo. I can only assume these pants are designed for people who can't afford houses to store their many possessions)
Anyway, while a location to carry said Surge is not an issue for me, the potential for lint, grit, & public hairs to become imbedded in the tool's many moving parts is of not inconsiderable concern.

What remedies have ye folk for this most pressing of issues?

Keeping in mind my overall manliness and thus lack of interest in carrying fruity little "iPod" socks and what-have-you.
I'm considering lining my pockets with plastic & filling them with bearing grease, then not only with my tool be lint free, it'll look like I've just come back from repairing my truck and/or race car and/or stealth super-jet.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%