Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Orange Spyderco Endura 4 FFG

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Orange Spyderco Endura 4 FFG
on: April 21, 2012, 04:17:27 PM
I JUST got this in and he's my first ever youtube review of a knife... dont worry its nuttin fancy... LOL

I'm really trying to like it, but it's very different than any other knife Ive ever handled.

The biggest thing that bugs me is the blade is not inline with the handle, its a good 30 degrees off and it feels like a mini folding kukri to me.  I'm going to give it a couple days and see if it grows on me.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline powernoodle

Re: Orange Spyderco Endura 4 FFG
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:27:16 PM
You have an economy of language which I appreciate.

I have probably 10 Enduras, and have never noticed the blade not being in line with the scales!  Weird.  I'd say its more like 15 degrees and not 30, but that could just be an optical conclusion.

If you want to sell that sucker for 50% off retail, let me know.   :drool:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:40:49 PM
Ah so true spyderco fan needs one of every color and you don't have orange?? :D

The fit and finish is 10/10 and I love VG10 steel, its pretty much just the design style Im not in love with yet.  I know this style is their 'thing' though so I just want to see if it grows on me.  I never thought about the angled blade before I noticed it, and noone really mentions it, but it was the first thing I noticed when I opened it up.  I tend to be picky though and little things will bug me.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:51:05 AM
Spyderco's design philosophy is a bit unusual compared to others, but I find I like their designs quite a bit.  Hardly the most aesthetically pleasing knives, but that's not an issue for me, as they're tools, not bling.  My understanding is the angle between the blade and the scales is for ergonomics, puts the blade in a better cutting position and reduces the amount of angle and torque you need to place on your wrist.

I have a gray Endura 4 FFG and it's my favorite utility knife.  The blade profile and shape lends itself well to general hack n slash kinds of tasks.  The angle on the Stretch 2 is a bit more pronounced in fact; my Stretch 2 is my favorite EDC folder.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:37:00 AM
Give it some time, I made a quick video on how to one hand close it.

us Offline Bosman2

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:45:41 PM
The angle of the blade and handle is intentional, I read this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
But if it is something you personally don't like, then I understand not wanting to keep it, but it isn't a "mistake".

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:03:33 PM
Oh no I didn't think it was a mistake, I'm sure its by design, 'I' just wasn't really aware of it before I bought one.  My wrist is just used to handling straight handle-blade arrangements.  They're popular so I have no doubt people like them, it just wasnt for me.  It's since been sold.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 06:43:17 PM
I'm sorry you didn't like the Spyderco style. I've had a delica for a very long time now, and LOVE it, both aesthetically and functionally. A big selling point to me is that it's actually useful for a left-handed user, something few other OHOs are.

I love the blade shape on the Spyderco knives, and I find the angle of the blade from the handle to be very comfortable. The scales give an amazing grip, and the simple design ends up weighing very little for the size of blade you get.

This is one of those things though. Everyone has different tastes, so it's basically impossible to make a knife that everyone will like. Hope your next choice suits you better.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
I'm sorry you didn't like the Spyderco style. I've had a delica for a very long time now, and LOVE it, both aesthetically and functionally. A big selling point to me is that it's actually useful for a left-handed user, something few other OHOs are.

I love the blade shape on the Spyderco knives, and I find the angle of the blade from the handle to be very comfortable. The scales give an amazing grip, and the simple design ends up weighing very little for the size of blade you get.

This is one of those things though. Everyone has different tastes, so it's basically impossible to make a knife that everyone will like. Hope your next choice suits you better.

I hadn't really appreciated this fact until I bought a Leatherman C33Bx.  It has very limited usefulness for left handed carry.  Spyderco knifes are excellent in the ambidextrous department.  :)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:56:56 PM
For a tactical folder I see no reason why they wouldnt have made them for both hand use.  The sog I love is either hand.  I like the spyderco quality for the money, just didnt feel right to me.  I did think it needed some slight refinement though.  The inner edge of the opening hole was quite sharp. I would want to round that edge to soften the feel.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:06 PM
It's really a preference, some people like it sharp as it gives more purchase.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%