Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I handled the infamous Tough Tool.

us Offline Wanimator

I handled the infamous Tough Tool.
on: May 04, 2016, 05:46:31 AM
Before I say anything... I didn't believe you guys about how this thing is, now I do.

Don't take this too hatefully or as a rant but from what I've gathered handling this multitool it needs to be revised a bit, I can't speak for the original version. The pliers sound like they're filled with sand and make an awful noise when they move not to mention terrible tolerances in the pliers. The pliers are free and moderately loose but the teeth of them don't even meet when the tool is closed

The tools can hardly even open, the tools ride on rough, gritty steel or aluminum washers. The locking is horrendous to engage or disengage especially if it's the blade you need to put back the package opener you have to push down on has a hump that really digs into your thumb. The knife is particularly hard to open. The box opener is dull... I am truly sorry for the Australian army. I wonder how well it would perform if it properly cleaned, lubricated and adjusted.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:30:59 AM by Wanimator »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: I handled the infamous Tough Tool.
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:53:12 AM
Forget the Army,

Be sorry for the taxpayers that bankroll the terrible purchasing habits of the government.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:50 AM
Yep. Schrade no longer makes them because the company no longer exists. The name and the designs were bought by Taylor Tools. I do recall that Def had a copy where the tip of the knife blade was bent to fit inside the handle. That was classic.

I have both the older and um...newer cheaper models. You cannot compare the old to the new. Not even in the same class.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:18:32 PM
I had an original one and didn't think it was all that great.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:39:59 PM
I had an original one and didn't think it was all that great.

Then you sure wouldn't like the newer ones :D

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:12:02 PM
Yep. Schrade no longer makes them because the company no longer exists. The name and the designs were bought by Taylor Tools. I do recall that Def had a copy where the tip of the knife blade was bent to fit inside the handle. That was classic.

I have both the older and um...newer cheaper models. You cannot compare the old to the new. Not even in the same class.

I knew that, the new one is worse than flea market quality. Taylor Brands really has a problem.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:45:08 PM
Even in the US, there's a bunch of stuff the government wastes money on, but defense isn't one of them.  I think troops need the best stuff, and that even includes multitools.  If the SwissTool was so expensive, then why didn't they just issue a cheaper LM Rebar or Super Tool 300, Gerber MP series tool (what US troops get), SOG tool, or even a Bear and Sons product (after all, Victorinox owned them for a time as to get access to the Bear Jaws patent, which resulted in the SwissTool)--all of which would have been better than the Chinese-made bargain priced tool that is the Taylor Brands Tough Tool (I just wish they'd take the "Schrade" name off of their crap).    I never trust my life to a low-grade Chinese made tool or knife, and it's appalling goverment cheapskates think an Australian soldier should.   

I have a US made Tough Tool, and there's quite few things I don't like (all chisel ground blades, weird awl, odd serrations on PE blade, ruler piece with hook disgorger is redundant (could have been stamped on handles like everyone else), bad lockup on non-locking tools) but the file is great, outside accessible tools and awesome pliers.  I can't imagine how bad a Chinese made tool would be, and I'll never own one.  All but one Chinese Schrade I have (one Barlow I bought at about age 10  back when Schrade first moved to China, the others I received as gifts.  The Old Timer single blade I had was a gigantic piece of junk compared to my grandfather's US made Old Timer, which I carried far more.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:07 PM
and it's appalling goverment cheapskates think an Australian soldier should. 

It's slightly more complicated than that.

The problem is that "procurement consultants" have generally never seen a multitool (or lightglobe, or fridge, or box of pencils, or main battle tank, or submarine) in the real world, so don't really know what they are buying when they start a contract.

Some publicly available info:

You Are Invited To Submit A Tender For The Supply of Multi-Tools Under A Standing Offer Arrangement.

The Commonwealth Has An Ongoing Requirement For The Above, To Satisfy A Capability Need Identified As Serial 10 In The ADF Clothing And Personal Equipment Procurement Plan (ADF CPEPP) 2008-2012. Multi-Tools Procured Under A Standing Offer Are To Be Provided To All Army Members And Used By Soldiers In Field Settings And On Operational Deployments That Cover The Full Spectrum of Operational Areas And Environmental Conditions.

The Multi-Tools Are Required To Be Manufactured In Accordance With Specification

There Is An Estimated Initial Requirement For Approximately 40,000 Multi-Tools With An Annual Requirement of 9,000 Thereafter On The Basis Of A 3-Year Standing Offer With An Option For 2 X 12 Month Extensions.  The Commonwealth May At Its Sole Discretion Issue More Than One Standing Offer To Satisfy The Requirement.

I can't tell you what the Specificiation is, 'cause it's a government secret - but I will say that it had to have Scissors, and be Black.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:34:08 AM by Sea Monster »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:08 PM

I am very proud to say that I did not ever own that particular tool.  If I recall properly, it was Bob's.  And, you have to admire their ingenuity- if the part doesn't fit, bend it until it does! 

That also speaks to the horrible heat treat of the blade that it could have been bent like that without snapping off.   :facepalm:

And, I firmly believe that if a soldier's life is lost due to a fault in equipment then the purchaser and the manufacturer should be charged with murder.  That would make both of them think twice before providing substandard equipment to people in the field.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 01:37:26 PM
That photo of the bent knife was unbelievable.

I agree. Unfortunately, we humans have a long and sordid history of giving combat troops substandard equipment.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Australia

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 01:46:00 PM
I think they might need mr bear grills stamp of disapproval ....

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 01:46:49 PM
That photo of the bent knife was unbelievable.

I agree. Unfortunately, we humans have a long and sordid history of giving combat troops substandard equipment.

What photo? I'm intrigued...  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD