Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does the 111mm OH blade have a half stop?

nl Offline SteelWing

Does the 111mm OH blade have a half stop?
on: April 05, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Hi there, I have a Nomad with Dual Density scales and nail nick blade. I like this model, but sometimes I wish the blade could be opened with one hand. Therefore, I am currently looking at the OH Forester and New Soldier models (I really like the Dual Density scales). On my Nomad, the blade has an extra stop before fully opening. On a two handed blade, I do not mind this. It would seem quite annoying to me on a one handed blade though. So I was wondering: does the OH blade have the same extra stop before fully opening (and closing)?

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Re: Does the 111mm OH blade have a half stop?
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:21:09 PM
none of my oh saks have half stop  :(
custom swiss army knives

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:53:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have another question. Is it difficult to overcome the closing force of the backspring when opening the blade with one hand?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:38 PM
Not on my OHT.  The back spring on the blade is fairly soft.
- Steve

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:44:08 PM
None of the OH models that Vic makes has a half stop, or none that I am aware of.
Nate

SEND IT!

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:08:59 AM
Thanks, that is good to hear. I am currently considering getting the OH Forester. However, I was wondering why the Trekker seems much more popular. Reading through forum posts about 111mm SAKs, it seems many people have the Trekker. On the other hand, the Forester seems to be rarely mentioned.

Why is that? I thought many people found the backside Phillips screwdriver to be difficult to use in tight spaces and would rather have a corkscrew instead of the Phillips. I can imagine that the 111mm handles have this problem even worse than smaller models.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:28:54 AM
The OHT is cheaper, has been available much longer, and has the toothpick and tweezers the OH Forester lacks. :tu:

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:16 AM
Good points. So do you actually like the backside Phillips on the Trekker or would you rather have the corkscrew if the OH Forester is the same price? Frankly, I have never had a need for either backside tool, so I could go either way.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:27 PM
Well given that I was able to get OHT + Classic SD combo packs a couple years ago for under $17/each, if I could get the same combo packs but with DD OH Foresters, I'd spring on it. :D

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:03 PM
Wow, that is a great deal. I think I will go for the DD OH Forester. In my opinion, a 3D Phillips screwdriver belongs more in a multitool (just like pliers) than in a SAK anyway. The can opener tip is usually good enough, although I have occasionally encountered tighter or more sunk in Phillips screws that it could not deal with. Usually a normal screwdriver or a multitool is available at those times. Besides, a corkscrew more or less defines a SAK, or is having a backside Phillips significantly better for the ergonomics of the handle?

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:21 PM
the older models of the OHT have softer backsprings for the blade, making them smoother to open, i love that...  if you want a new one go for the forester it´s an amazing knife!  :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:25 AM
[...], or is having a backside Phillips significantly better for the ergonomics of the handle?

IMHO, no, especially not when you pop in the small screwdriver you of course add to the knife.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 02:24:16 AM
That "stop" ,on a couple of my OH's, is more like a speed bump than a stop. hardly even feel it now. :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:54 PM
So...there is indeed a half stop on the OH blade? Is it actually on all recently produced blades perhaps?

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 07:22:14 PM
it is not a real half stop like the two handed version, just a very little bump like big target says, and not noticiable in all knives, and it only feels when the knife is new   :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD