Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why do you collect Multis? What got you started?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Why do you collect Multis? What got you started?
on: February 04, 2008, 12:04:47 AM
Having only recently become aware of my collector mentality I am curious as to why and how others got into collecting multis.

Or do some abstain from forming collections and trade/sell tools, trying to find the best ones?

As for myself, my collecting habits started with knives and flashlights. I liked collecting knives, there seemed to be a lot of variety and they were very useful to me on a daily basis, all was well. Then, I bought my first Spyderco and everything else seemed sub-par. So I started collecting exclusively Spyderco knives, this went fine for a while until I realized that I was buying pretty much the same thing with different blade styles and handle colors. Cue boredom.

I slowly removed myself from the knife hobby and no only note it at the periphery of my vision. Seeing the new stuff is nice but I don't have any plans for a new cutter on the horizon. The knives I have already cover 100% of my needs.

I moved to flashlights next, this was just as the really hot (at the time) Luxeon III models were hitting. My nights were filled with endless reviews and discussion of the latest U-bin emitters and which Surefire was the best. This rolled along until the Cree lights started showing up. Overnight my nice collection of Luxeon lights was obsolete, dim and unwanted. As soon as this happened the majority of the lights released became saddled with horrible user interfaces. Having to constantly clickie the switch to reach the brightness I wanted drove me away from the hobby, I bought a D-Mini and pretty much stopped collecting mainstream lights.

Multis attracted me for a couple of reasons. I have always recognized their usefulness and diligently bought a few of the new models Leatherman released in 2004 but never really approached it as a collector. Then, I found a broke down PST and this forum and my interest took off. Thanks to the knowledgeable posters here I quickly became enamored with the history of these tiny tools. Trying to find odd variants, minute changes and rare tools drives my interest. Multis are also a lot more accessible than knives or flashlights. I can find dozens and dozens of good tools for @20-30$ whereas the bottom end for good knives/flashlights runs about twice that. The variety, excellence of construction and feeling of confidence that comes with slipping a multi into ones pocket make this hobby so much fun.

Multis also never really go obsolete, even if an older tool is overshadowed by newer models it is still inherently useful and worth carrying.

What about you?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why do you collect Multis? What got you started?
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:14:12 AM
I started out collecting SAKs when I was about 12, then I took an interest in folding and fixed blade knives primarily fixed, then I collected tactical folders, then I moved on to airguns, then when I was old enough real guns, then I got a original Super Tool then I started collecting multis because I used to do a lot of remote control stuff. I remember when I got my first Traxxas R/C Gas Truck! I used my supertool to put the whole damn thing together. Then, when I was about 22 I went back to tactical folders and I liked Benchmades the most. Soon after when I was 26 I got back into MT's and now I am a diehard collector!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:28:59 AM
Well until very recently I never really considered myself to be a "collector", but after a conversation with Def he pointed out that I had the bug pretty bad.  :)

I have never really collected anything as I have never found a real interest in anything.  I was always into electronics when I was young and after training to become an electronic engineer got hooked on having the latest gadget or gizmo that was on the market. I had always been keen on tools as well because of my job and following my love of gadgets, liked to own things that I could carry at all times.  I had always admired the trusty SAK and had often thought about buying a Swisschamp but never really had the money to get one.

On my 18th birthday I was given a PST which at the time I thought was the best thing going.  I thought this for about 3 years, never really thinking about changing it as I didn't really think there would be many different versions available.  Then one day I lost my PST   :(.  So I went and bought a 2nd hand Mechanic off of Ebay and carried that instead.  This I did for a few months before I stumbled across my PST at a bottom of a bag and went back to carrying that instead.

After owning my PST now for over 4 years the jaws had become pretty worn and so I went on a hunt on the internet to see if Leatherman would cover this sort of damage on warranty.  When searching, I stumbled across MT.org and signed up thinking I would just ask a couple of questions to hopefully get my PST fixed.  But when I searched the forum it became clear that there were far more models available than I first thought and that multitools would fill my interest in gadgets, tools and EDC items.

That was nearly 5 months ago now :) and now I own quite a few tools, most of which that are retired models as I found these to be the most interesting.  The forum is a big part of multitool collecting for me.  I enjoy talking to you guys on here and it is cool to know that there are people out there that have the same fondness in tools that I have.  

I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:51:39 AM
I started out collecting SAKs when I was about 12, then I took an interest in folding and fixed blade knives primarily fixed, then I collected tactical folders, then I moved on to airguns, then when I was old enough real guns, then I got a original Super Tool then I started collecting multis because I used to do a lot of remote control stuff. I remember when I got my first Traxxas R/C Gas Truck! I used my supertool to put the whole damn thing together. Then, when I was about 22 I went back to tactical folders and I liked Benchmades the most. Soon after when I was 26 I got back into MT's and now I am a diehard collector!

I thought you had a PST first ???
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:19 AM
Indeed, but the ST was used far more.. The PST was used hard but then I just discarded it because the tools didn't lock!
B

Offline FredKJ

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:07:08 AM
I think it's called obsessive compulsive disorder.  Just enjoy it.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:22:00 AM
I got my first PST free when my sisters found it in the snow while sledding... :) I wanted it more than they did so I ended up with it! Many years later I decided to get another MT. To be honest I can't even remember why... I was pretty nearly broke (just married) and didn't spend much money on myself at all. Maybe that's why! Anyway, of course I had to check them all out before I bought anything (the less money you have, the more you research). For a few months I thought that Charge Ti was all I'd ever want, but I already had the bug. ::) I'm not a very accomplished collector, as I haven't felt right spending a lot on them (I'm in school), and I don't have any really "special" tools. But I still have more than anyone else I know. :D (In "real life" of course, not here on the forum. :P ) As to "why?"... They're just fun!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:15 AM
I'm not a collector. When I buy a knife or tool I fully intend to use it. Maybe not all the time but I don't buy one just to look at. Right now I am completely happy with what I carry so I have no idea what I'm gonna buy next.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 05:33:15 AM
I first got into plier based multis when an aunt gave me a $25 gift certificate to Target a few years ago for Christmas.  A few weeks later I was wandering around the tool dept of Target with that card burning a hole in my pocket...another Mag Lite? naa...some cheezy air gun? naa...then I saw a Gerber MP600 ($40 I belive) and grabbed it!  A few days before I had a little tire problem that a pair of pliers would have fixed...but I had none on me (or in my car), so I had to walk a few streets away in a snowstorm to get pliers.  Never again! 

I'm more of a user than collector...I don't own any tools I woulden't carry.  I've bought or traded quite a few trying to see if they would work for me, and if they did I kept them, if not I traded or sold it away.  Variants don't really interest me...like I own a Swisstool X...which out of all of the Swisstool models works the best for me.  So unless I see another Swisstool for a really good price, I won't buy another. 

[

Offline Carthas

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:13:24 AM
Mine has always been the quest for the perfect EDC all-rounder tool. Every time I see a new tool that has a feature or features that I think would be useful, I go out and buy it as an upgrade. Sometimes they don't pan out, mostly they do. One day, I'm sure I'll run out of money to spend on these things, and I'll have enough tools to last me my life with backups to spare (I don't often trade or sell things). But until that day, my endless quest continues....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:30:45 AM
Thanks guys- I appreciate that none of you are blaming me or this site the way those SOSAK members blame me for their collections! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:15 AM
For me Tools are like Shoes to women - I don't need them, I rarely use them, but if I didn't buy them I'd have too much money!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:45:51 PM
Thanks guys- I appreciate that none of you are blaming me or this site the way those SOSAK members blame me for their collections! :D

Def

Def your not the reason why I collect, your the reason why my collection is so large.  :D
I'm back!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 05:06:02 PM

Def

Def your not the reason why I collect, your the reason why my collection is so large.  :D

It's still cheaper than gambling,and besides Multi's never go to waste,they go to your children when you cant use them.Then you have to bet better ones than the one's you gave to your children to fix what they took apart when you were not watching.

Seriously,I guess that there are worse things to collect and probably better.But at least with collecting Multi's...Or....SAK's you are collecting something that you can atcually use.The only one I don't use is my SOSAK knife for 2007.The rest are fair game,as the mood or need takes me.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Splat

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 06:34:39 PM
My interest in MT's surfaced when I started my own business. Sure, having the right tool meant for the job is always the best, but sometimes you don't have all your tools with you. That's when the eventual arises and you just need to tweak/cut/move/etc. something. Voila!  I think I needs me a multitool!  :sak:     Then, I found this site and now I'm buying knives, MT's, and making my own Kydex sheaths.... thanks guys!  :drink:
Splat

us Offline Pacu

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 03:43:29 AM
I got my first multi when i got my Eagle Scout back in 1993. Gerber 600 with the bit attachments. Used the heck out it fishing the gulf coast, snuck it into the air force, pulled a bullet out of my arm, and now i use it daily at Best Buy doing construction.

I have just about every Gerber multi made and have actually put them to work.

Now i'm eyeballing Leatherman..... a surge maybe.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 03:46:39 AM
GO FOR IT! Best tool you could ever get!
B

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 04:00:49 AM
Why I have all these SAKs and multi's??? 

Simple.
If you haven't noticed lately, the whole world is going to SH*T!!

And someone has to have the tools, talent,,,,,and STONES to rebuild it right :multi:  :sak: :climber: :pok:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:02:25 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 04:39:55 AM
Why I have all these SAKs and multi's??? 

Simple.
If you haven't noticed lately, the whole world is going to SH*T!!

And someone has to have the tools, talent,,,,,and STONES to rebuild it right :multi:  :sak: :climber: :pok:

When things truly go up smurfs' creek, people like us here on the forum will be a commodity.  People are so far removed these days from anything mechanical it's not funny, and just basic common sense is a rare thing.

"WHAT DO WE DO NOW!?"

*everyone stares at the guy with the multitool and flashlight* :salute:
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 08:50:24 AM
Now i'm eyeballing Leatherman..... a surge maybe.

You could get a LM Core The tool for Tradesmen and people who actually know what they are doing, or a LM Wave, subtle yet innovative.
Even a Fuse - A gentleman amongst Multitools.

But a Surge (this time the italics mean saying it with spitting disgust, rather than eloquent flourish) ? -

A Surge is like Speeding. No one thinks big of you.

*everyone stares at the guy with the multitool and flashlight*
I've got a knife, and I've got Tape. It's going to get messy - ladies, children, sensitive gents, please leave the area.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:52:10 AM by Nomad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD