Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissor test

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Scissor test
Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 01:11:18 AM
And I think that's a pretty fair solution. I agree the Crosscut scissors aren't great for very fine work. I'd actually prefer the Vic Classic scissors if I was just trimming a string.

I sorta-kinda have a working philosophy for tools going, and think there might be a fair argument to be made about scale. I have one small keychain size MT with little pliers, small phillips, dinky scissors... all work, just at a very small scale. That tool matched well with a Tinker (and now my Trekker), which have larger screwdrivers and larger blade.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 08:15:02 AM
Unfortunately, I must agree with Leatherman's consistency.  While they have awesome designs, I have had several tools with terrible scissors on them, while others have the same model scissors and they rock. 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:18 PM
Nice!  Some great tests!   I think at some point I'll have to do a scissors test.  Just got in a new pair of shiny stainless steel Vic scissors rated at 60HRc.  They are 8" scissors, but the cutting edges are only 2.5".  They do cut "very" well though. packaging says hot forged in Spain.

Francis, we need to know more ...  :pok:
Where from, obsolete or current, piccies, blah blah blah  :)
I think it is current, or was recently current, gone from victorinox.com as far as I can tell with their region stuff and the information there seemed a little out of date.  It could be that it is very new as well, i have not had time to check the catalog.

Model number is 7.6378, I'll get a picture up on the weekend. I see a couple on ebay mine came from Europe at 40 euros or so (not cheap).

Oops I had mis-typed the model number, it is 7.6376.

:oops: Only just come back to this thread  :-[ Thanks for the info  :salute:

As for the Buck X-Tract, I've considered tracking down an Essential for a while to have a good look at those scissors (and see if I can purloin them and fit them in an Octane  >:D )

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 07:46:00 PM
Good review Lynn, its no much surprise that the wave has very good scissors, its oone of my prefereed MT, but no sure which scissors is better, the new or old version, but I miss the size of the old version wave.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 07:23:13 PM
My new Crosscut came in yesterday. Here's what the scissors are like when they're brand new.

Crosscut 2.0: Failed nothing. Barely Adequate for Corrugated Cardboard, Pass Non-Corrugated Cardboard, Khaki, Leather, 550, Pass with Distinction Paper, Pete, Heavy Plastic, T-Shirt. The 'Barely Adequate' for Corrugated cardboard had nothing to do with its cutting ability, and everything to do with the body of the tool being in the way while trying to cut.

Final score for new Crosscut 2.0: +12
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:16:21 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 02:55:03 AM
Got your Wingman in the mail yesterday. Haven't run as detailed tests as you did, but it cut fairly well on what I tried; I did notice that the pivot on the Wingman scissors is loose even by Leatherman standards (see my previous post about LM QC). The scissor build and geometry remind me of the old skool Wave scissors just a bit, and my old Wave cuts noticeably better than the WIngman. I'm tempted to try tapping it tighter with a nail set, and re-trying some of your tests.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 03:25:57 AM
Feel free to post your findings in this thread if you do. I thought the Wingman Scissors were decent, and only got rid of it because it's not a great OHO for a lefty.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 03:31:07 AM
Amici,
Has anyone had any negative experiences with the scissors found on the Juice models? So far I can honestly report no, but I cannot say that for some of their other models.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 03:32:07 AM
only got rid of it because it's not a great OHO for a lefty.

OH! That explains a lot. I was actually surprised you sold it off, it's been a much more impressive tool than I expected, especially for the price. But for a lefty, I can can see your problem.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 03:34:12 AM
Amici,
Has anyone had any negative experiences with the scissors found on the Juice models?

I've got one of each of the Juice models. (Yeah, I know, twelve steps and all that.) Even though I've been beating up on Leatherman's scissor QC lately, I've never had a problem with the scissors on the Juice models I have. Maybe I just got lucky, but they all cut very well.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 09:52:15 AM
Amici,
Has anyone had any negative experiences with the scissors found on the Juice models? So far I can honestly report no, but I cannot say that for some of their other models.

Cheers,
Serge

Yes! Floppy dscissors, half arsed grinds and difficulty stowing as they fouled on the liners. I'm not a fan of the Juice line, and the scissors are merely a part of that equation. I actually prefer the scissors on the Wave to those on a Juice ... but give me Victorinox or Wenger any day, although I'll settle for Gerber's too if I haven't got a swiss option to hand.

As always YMMV

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:00 AM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 11:43:03 AM

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:02 PM
Adding the Juice S2 Scissor test...

Fair disclaimer: This tool is used. I don't know how used, but it's looks to be in good shape. But, just so we're clear, it wasn't NIB.

Failed: Heavy Plastic
Barely Adequate: Corrugated Cardboard, Khaki, 550
Pass: Non-Corrugated Cardboard, Leather, PETE, T-Shirt
Pass with Distinction: Paper

If I use this tool left-handed, then it fairs much worse, Failing Leather and 550 and barely adequate for T-Shirt.

Final score:
Right-Handed: 5
Left-handed: 2

This is the only tool I've seen this kind of major difference in from right to left hand. Very odd.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 10:36:12 PM
This is the only tool I've seen this kind of major difference in from right to left hand. Very odd.

Sounds like the pivot is loose.

When you press down on the "lever," you usually also press a bit sideways. Most scissors are built for righties, who tend to press leftwards; that in turn levers the edge against the other edge, which makes for a more efficient cut. Lefthanded, though, you tend to press it rightward, which levers the edge away from the other edge, causing the scissors to bind up rather than cut cleanly.

us Offline JimShockz

• The early bird get the Worm!
Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 03:58:51 PM
Unfortunately, I must agree with Leatherman's consistency.  While they have awesome designs, I have had several tools with terrible scissors on them, while others have the same model scissors and they rock.

The scissors on the S.A.N prove to be useless after a few cuts,I dont get it? ??? ???

-JS

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 04:51:52 AM

The scissors on the S.A.N prove to be useless after a few cuts,I dont get it? ??? ???

-JS

Are you talking about Swiss Army Knives?

If so, I disagree, I have had a ton of SAK's and NONE of them had any scissor issues.  In fact, SAK scissors tend to be the best ones around.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:52 PM
Another pair of scissors enter the fray.

Scissor test on the Victorinox Spirit X (brand new out of the box)

Failed: Nothing

Barely Adequate: Heavy Plastic, Corrugated Cardboard

Pass: Non-corrugated Cardboard, Paper

Pass with Distinction: Khaki, 550, Leather, PETE, T-Shirt

I got a 'push cut', meaning I was able to push the scissors through the material without having to work the jaws, on PETE, Leather, and T-Shirt. These scissors were also able to cut through their chosen material even at the very tips of the scissor blades. I think both of these features are due to the curved angle on the scissor blades, making it so the angle of cut is about the same, whether at the back or front of the scissor. These might also have been the best scissors versus 550 I've ever tested.

On a slightly ironic note, their short blades make them only average at common tasks like cutting paper. This shows a bit of a flaw I've already mentioned in my test scoring. While they will cut right through Corrugated cardboard and heavy plastic, the higher force required starts to speak to the tool's lack of leverage, and problems in ergonomics in dealing with heavy material. That's just a function that you will see in all fold-out scissors, IMO.

These scissors are dead on-par with my Wave's numerically, but they really should get special consideration for the awesome push-cut ability demonstrated.

Final Score: +12

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:17 PM
My test on the scissors for the Multitool that comes with Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Pack... Are we calling it the Bear Grylls Strata? Anyway...

Failed: Nothing
Barely Adequate: Heavy Plastic, corrugated cardboard
Pass:550, Leather, PETE, non- corrugated cardboard
Pass With Distinction: Khaki, T-shirt, paper

Total Score: 10

Generally a good pair of scissors, which I expect from Gerber, but the small thumb stud used to press the scissors closed makes cutting heavy material painful. I was also a little surprised at how bad it was at cutting 550, considering how well it did with even multiple layers of khaki.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 05:30:13 PM
cheers for the tests Lynn. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 12:44:50 AM
C'mon... you guys just KNOW as soon as a new tool falls into my hands, I'm gonna want to test the scissors and can opener. Well... it's Friday, and we're having dinner over at our friend's house, so no can opening today (but I WILL be testing the cap lifter later :D)

Anyway, the Wenger EVO S17 has scissors, and this is how I rate them...

Failed nothing.
Barely adequate on Heavy Plastic and Corrugated Cardboard
Pass with distinction on T-Shirt, Suede Leather, Cardboard, and PETE
Pass everything else.

+11

Very good scissors overall. Cutting heavy material like corrugated cardboard and heavy plastic was a bit painful, and the 550 was a lot harder to cut with this than I thought it should be, but otherwise no problems.

And to make it easier for comparison, here's what the totals look like to date, in order of worst to best. In the event of ties, there's no sorting. Anything ranked +12 tested just as well as anything else ranked +12.

Sheffield swiss army rip-off   -3
SOG Powerlock +0
Sheffield 12010   +1
Vic Classic +5
Juice S2 (used) +5
Wingman +6
Vic 91mm Scissors (used) +7
Crosscut (used) +8
Squirt S4  +10
Wenger 85mm +11
Wave +12
MP400  +12
Crosscut 2.0 +12
Spirit X +12

I'll add more as new tools come across my plate.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 01:57:30 PM
They should at least get another point for being self sharpening. They'll never go dull. :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:20 AM
I'm not exactly sure how I missed this review earlier. I have 2 Micras, and have never tested them. In addition to them, I retested the SOG Crosscut I have against them, to get a very close comparison. One of the Micras is used, and one is more-or-less new.

While the cutting performance on the new Micra actually (to my surprise) beat the Crosscut, I pinched myself twice on the handles of the Micras. No knocks on points for cutting, but not awesome. I must now grudgingly admit that Micra is the best scissors in the land.

Neither failed anything.
Old Micra is barely adequate for T-Shirt, Khaki, Suede, 550
New Micra passed with distinction on T-Shirt, 550
Both passed with distinction with Paper, PETE, Cardboard, Heavy Plastic

Final Scores
Old: +9
New: +15

So the rankings of all tested scissors to date stand as follows...

SOG Powerlock +0
Sheffield 12010   +1
Vic Classic +5
Juice S2 (used) +5
Wingman +6
Crosscut (used) +8
Micra (used) +9
Squirt S4  +10
Wenger 85mm +11
Wave +12
MP400  +12
Crosscut 2.0 +12
Spirit X +12
Micra (new) +15

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 02:37:13 PM
I keep telling people here how great micra scissors are but they never listen...

As said, they get a bit worst with age. My usa stamped ones,older, need to be tightened.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 05:27:47 PM
I keep telling people here how great micra scissors are but they never listen...

I've known the Micra scissors were good for quite some time, however, I carried a Crosscut for a very long time. At one point, I lost them, and the only tool available for me to replace them with was a Micra. I then carried it for a few months until I found the Crosscut again. I tested them side-by-side, and the Crosscut was decidedly better. That was 12 or so years ago.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I have the new Crosscut 2.0 and a new Micra. This time, Micra wins, pretty handily. The thing is, I've had 5 Micras in my life, and they were ALL really good. I've had 2 Crosscuts; the old, which was outstanding, and the new... which is less outstanding. It might be this specific tool, or the entire line, but every Micra I've owned has been consistent.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:28 PM
My Micra is old poor thing, perhaps it's time for me to get a shiny new one to compare! :D

I'm enjoying your reviews on the subject a lot :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:13 PM
I'm enjoying your reviews on the subject a lot :tu:

Thank you. In truth, scissors are the tool I use most on any MT. I >REALLY< care about how good my scissors are. It's a major factor in my tool selections I intend to EDC. I wish I had a more scientific way of testing, other than my 'sucked/kinda sucked/didn't suck/kicked @$$' method... which is more than a little subjective. I would also feel better (like it was more scientific, less subjective) if I had multiples of each to test, as points have been raised, most notably about Leatherman QC issues. But, I do what I can.

I hope to have a brand new Vic 91mm with scissors to test some time in the near future. That's one of the scissors I really want to get fair rankings for.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 11:46:47 PM
Oh, scissors are the top tool for me too, without a doubt.

I love the 91mm ones and use them as my first choice :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:21 PM
Today, a head-to-head of two tools I've owned for a while, and never thought to test.

The Victorinox 58mm (Rambler, in like-new condition) versus the Leatherman Style PS (also in like-new condition). I'm not going to draw out any suspense. They were as close to identical as I could possibly imagine.

Failed: nothing
Barely Adequate: Heavy Plastic and Corrugated Cardboard.
Passed with Distinction: Khaki, Suede, and 550 Paracord.

Final scores for both: +10

The size of both of these little fold-out scissors made cutting heavy material very painful. However, in both instances, I was really shocked how well they cut through thicker soft material, like the khaki and particularly the 550, each of which snipped through with one cut.

The quality on both tools shows clearly when compared with the same size scissors on the Sheffield 12010.

The Style PS has the same scissors as on the Squirt PS4, for the record.

So the rankings of all tested scissors to date stand as follows...

SOG Powerlock +0
Sheffield 12010   +1
Vic 58mm (Classic, used) +5
Juice S2 (used) +5
Wingman +6
Crosscut (used) +8
Micra (used) +9
Squirt S4  +10
Vic 58mm (Rambler, new) +10
Leatherman Style PS +10
Wenger 85mm +11
Wave +12
MP400  +12
Crosscut 2.0 +12
Spirit X +12
Micra (new) +15
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:02:54 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:08 PM
I EDC a Leatherman Style PS and I do use the scissors from time to time and they have not let me down. I originally had the Style CS but found I needed pliers more than scissors as a primary implement.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%