Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I keep buying more knife than I need

Smaug · 25 · 2302

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
on: April 12, 2012, 10:33:41 PM
I see these super-versatile SAKs, buy them, and THEN remember how thick they are. They go in the drawer, and get carried once annually. I never seem to learn.

I keep telling myself that I just need to commit to carrying a belt pouch, but I spend most of every day in a chair, so that's sub-optimal too.

If I'm honest with myself, all I really need in my day-to-day life is a Classic or Manager. Yet I cannot stop buying the big boys...

Anyone else have this problem?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline Espen

Re: I keep buying more knife than I need
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:40:00 PM
Yes. We are all SAKoholics here.. it's nothing to be ashamed of.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:06 PM
My solution (one of them anyway) is to keep a 91 mm Vic (Cybertool 41 or a variant ) in/at my desk.  In my pocket, I have a Vic Executive.  For computer repairs, I find the cybertool is my goto tool.

When I'm out socially, I usually have a larger Vic in my pocket (often a Modified Alox model).

The pliers based tools are generally for on the Farm use (or if I'm travelling somewhere requiring one--camping, hiking, climbing, motorcycle trips, etc).

For wrench, prytip duty, I usually have an Atwood tool as well.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:33 PM
I allways carry a slipjoint or locking folder with me so my pocket space is limited. Thus I never pocket carry anything large than my Manager or maybe, a big maybe, a two layer SAK.

I still buy them though...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:53 PM
And lo, the collection starteth :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:19 PM
I figured out the pocketability thing ages ago. I bought a champion and a tool chest plus (the Wenger HAS been pocket carried occasionally), but since then the thickest I've had is a Voyager Lite ... everything else has been pocket friendly

The only "lapse" was for a Vic Skipper for the boat that I got last weekend at the meet

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:43 PM
Ever notice they NEVER show photos taken from the side? Now you know why.  :rofl:

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:58:31 PM
Yes. We are all SAKoholics here.. it's nothing to be ashamed of.

+1   :tu: that is completely normal  :salute:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
Ever notice they NEVER show photos taken from the side? Now you know why.  :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:18:33 AM
Yes, I do have this problem too.

I did a trade with Steve a few months ago for a mod on my Outrider, to remove the saw.  As an EDC SAK I have no need for the saw, and it helps the pocketability by making it thinner by not having the saw.  It's still a little on the large side though even with cargo pockets.  I do pocket carry it sometimes, but recently I've taken to putting a small carabiner on the split ring, and hanging it from a belt loop, and that's working pretty well for the most part. 

I had been keeping my Rambler on my key-biner and my Compact in my other pocket.  I'm currently keeping my modded Outrider on my key-biner, and my Executive in my pocket.  But, I trade off every now and again among that core set of SAKs; Compact, Executive, Rambler, and skinny Outrider.

My quest the past few months is to get a "perfect" SAK that I can pocket carry but still have exactly the tools I want so I don't have any more than I need in one SAK, and also don't have to carry a second one unless I want to.  For me, I've figured out that will be my Compact modded with a cybertool driver and bit layer.  I'm planning on having GigaHz do it for me since Steve isn't doing mods right now.  I'm hoping the versatility of the cybertool layer will give me all the driver options I want in the slimmest package possible, and I'll still have a blade, scissors, can and bottle opener with the combo tool, and a corkscrew as well.

I have come up with a solution for the larger ones I have now though... I bought a Maxped single sheath that's now on the side of my EDC bag, that I'm now carrying my Work Champ in.  I also put my CT34 in my laptop bag, as I figure that's the most logical place for it. 

So in short, I try to keep a certain complement of tools on person in one or two SAKs, and find dedicated homes for my other tools in different bags / cases depending on their use, so I can still have my bigger SAKs on hand when I'll need them.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:04 AM
Err... Big SAKs are just a reason to experiment with different carrying methods. Belt hangers, pocket sheaths, belt pouches, etc... Home made, factory made, custom made... I really see no problem here.  :D

Funnily enough given what I wrote above, relatively slim SAKs (=<3 layers) are both the models I have the most of and the models I carry most often. I do EDC both Ranger, Handyman and Craftsman from time to time. A SwissChamp was test-EDCed more for the sheer smurf of it, though. :)

Over at SOSAK, a guy, I don't remember who, perhaps he's here as well (sorry, I don't remember the nick), actually EDCed an XAVT or another of the real jumbo models. He used a belt pouch meant for handcuffs, since no common knife pouch is big enough.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 02:41:04 AM
I remember him, cant think of his name right at the moment. Pocket carrying large Vics never has been a big deal for me. I Carry a CT 41 or a Charge with a pocket clip with my Sog Vulcan.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:38 AM
I've pocket carried my Champion Plus, Explorer, S557, and New Soldier with no problems.  Not at the same time, you understand, but still.......The S557 has been in my pocket on a regular basis when I'm at work since I got it.  It's not a thin knife, but rides very comfortably IMO.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:22:43 AM
>I keep buying more knife than I need
If you didn't you probably shouldn't be here.   :cheers:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:57 AM
It depends on the pockets.

I wear dress pants most days, so carrying a thick knife makes ME feel like a tool.

OK, enough of my whining. Those of you who don't have to play dress-up to go to work, thank your lucky stars. ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 05:28:10 AM
Nevertheless, I think I will buck social convention tomorrow and carry my CyberTool 34 in its (fancy) pouch tomorrow.

I shall prepare myself for professional ridicule and be ready to smile at it.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 05:37:01 AM
Nevertheless, I think I will buck social convention tomorrow and carry my CyberTool 34 in its (fancy) pouch tomorrow.

I shall prepare myself for professional ridicule and be ready to smile at it.
Good man!  Wear your SAKaholism with pride!!!  When the zombie apocalypse comes, you'll be the one laughing, and they'll be steak tar-tar! 

You're right about the practice for carry methods though... I think I've spent almost as much on various carrying methods, holsters, sheaths, lanyards, bags, etc. as I have on tools!   :facepalm:

I think just for good measure I'll wear a t-shirt and cargo shorts to work tomorrow... a lot of the other professors here do actually wear suits... it's pretty creepy actually... really Stepford...  :ahhh

I've been in academics for almost 20 years, including my time as a student, and up until this year, I could count on one hand the times I saw a professor (of mine, or a colleague) wear a suit and tie to class...  While it honestly is a drag they didn't hire me back, I can't say I'm going to miss this place; I don't fit in too well here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:38:32 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:07 PM
It depends on the pockets.

I wear dress pants most days, so carrying a thick knife makes ME feel like a tool.

OK, enough of my whining. Those of you who don't have to play dress-up to go to work, thank your lucky stars. ;)

I work at a hospital, so I always wear dress pants to work.   I agree that larger SAKs can be uncomfortable to wear in a pocket and be difficult to get out, but the S557 wasn't a problem.   Another solution for you would be a Skinth sheath (made by our very own Metropolicity!).  That way it's "just a phone holster, but it has the extra pocket so I keep a SAK in there"

Personally, I'm trying to decide how small of Skinth I can reasonably get away with. 

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:50:25 PM
Another solution for you would be a Skinth sheath (made by our very own Metropolicity!).  That way it's "just a phone holster, but it has the extra pocket so I keep a SAK in there"

That's a cracking good idea. Phone holsters are (somewhat) socially acceptable these days. More so than a knife pouch, probably. If I switch to something that looks like a phone holster, people will just think I'm a workaholic, instead of a big dork. (not that it matters)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 02:14:51 PM
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 02:16:46 PM
Not exactly the most discrete pouch either...  :D

The white seams on those Vic pouches are put there just to make knife nuts even more socially outcast, I'm sure.

us Offline wildcatmo

Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 03:29:43 PM
I carry a Vic Money clip everyday. I've used it hundreds of times.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:32:59 PM
Quote from: Mr. Whippy
Another solution for you would be a Skinth sheath (made by our very own Metropolicity!).  That way it's "just a phone holster, but it has the extra pocket so I keep a SAK in there"

Personally, I'm trying to decide how small of Skinth I can reasonably get away with.

Regarding the Skinth pouches, I looked up the site, and the Parallel Pocket Panel might be just the thing for us office-dwellers.

I'm glad you mentioned them. I wish he made something in a nice black leather.

I'm thinking about either the Juice Box, Parallel Pocket Panel, or maybe even a Spartan OG.

The Juice Box looks the most versatile, but also the least like a smart phone holster.

The Parallel Pocket Panel is something I would DEFINITELY use, because it doesn't hang on the belt. The main thing about carrying a bigger SAK in the pocket of dress pants is that they turn sideways once they hit bottom, then make an odd-shaped horizontal lump. With the Parallel Pocket Panel, it would keep the knife vertical and also allow me to maybe actually carry a pen in there without risk of stabbing myself in the tender parts.

The Spartans are both out of stock. The OG looks very versatile, but also kind of chunky.

I guess "The Thing to Do" would be to order one of each of the four, then return the three I didn't like. I don't know if he's a big enough business that he'd be OK with that though...

Now that I think of it, there are some similar pouches made by bigger companies, like Nite-Ize or something that I could look into. But those look a bit more tradesman-ish, with their big, gauche branding labels.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 04:11:54 PM
I wonder how the pockets sheaths at the adress given below would work with a SAK?

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=489_626

(Looked a second time: Nah, seems like they have both the wrong shape and size. Ah, well...)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:13:53 PM by Steinar »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 12:10:12 PM
I sympathise with office workers, but I would ask you to look to our spiritual leader Dwight K Shrute from the US Office. Not only does he carry his cellphone in a belt pouch, he also keeps a Huntsman or suchlike in his pockets, and has several bladed weapons secreted around his workplace 'just in case'.

Myself? I keep my Huntsman in a homemade leather belt pouch (not at all pretty but perfectly useful, and made from my old para boots) and my Classic on a keyring. My Rucksack, Soldier and Recruit are all in various places in my  bag 'just in case', in shop bought or homemade pouches.

Luckily I don't have to dress for work (I'm a stripper :D) but I sympathise.

Again, Look to Dwight K Shrute for guidance
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88