Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Professionals NOS boxed

jaydar · 27 · 3082

ch Offline jaydar

Wenger Professionals NOS boxed
on: April 14, 2012, 08:41:16 PM
Never had one of these before but 3 turned up today

Nice addition all the blades are date stamped :)

All very nice the back springs on them are very solid ...I like them ....but see what you think :)

br Offline edursr

Re: Wenger Professionals NOS boxed
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:57:43 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
great find!!!
 :gimme:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:45:49 PM
Amazing!  I've never seen those before.  Are they the standard 85 mm?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:48:50 PM
31 years old NIB, amazing.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:22:16 PM
They're also known as the Handwerker series. 93mm long. About a dozen or so different models. They seem to have been sold mainly in Europe; very seldom show up in the US. My personal guess is that they were Wenger's attempt to make use of the blades and tools in the Standard Issue in a wider range of knives.

Karl
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:23:49 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46:15 PM
A couple more of the Handwerker series. The lower knife with the bail has textured nylon handles. It's marked "74". The upper knife with key ring is marked "95".

Karl

IMG_1201.jpg
* IMG_1201.jpg (Filesize: 170.28 KB)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:51:21 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:11:55 PM
Nice!!  Great Find!!  Wenger must have found some because for some reason they have been turning up lately with boxes and all.

I actually like the nylon handled ones, they feel great, really not crazy about the other newer plastic handled ones as user knives though.

I think officially Wenger had these labled as 95mm, I believer there is documentation to that affect.

I believe the big one ColoSwiss showed there is the largest Factory 93/95mm knife at 4 laters, as Vic never did produce a 4 layer Alox model that we know of.

us Offline Grateful

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:48 PM
 Those are very cool .
Jim

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 11:45:44 PM
Nice. Wenger should bring those back

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:51 AM
Nice!!  Great Find!!  Wenger must have found some because for some reason they have been turning up lately with boxes and all.

I actually like the nylon handled ones, they feel great, really not crazy about the other newer plastic handled ones as user knives though.

I think officially Wenger had these labled as 95mm, I believer there is documentation to that affect.

I believe the big one ColoSwiss showed there is the largest Factory 93/95mm knife at 4 laters, as Vic never did produce a 4 layer Alox model that we know of.

I think you're right. I have a downloaded page with what appears to be (in small, blurry letters) 9.5 cm.

Karl

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:07 AM

I think you're right. I have a downloaded page with what appears to be (in small, blurry letters) 9.5 cm.

Karl
Ya, checked a few ads and the brochure, most say 9.5 cm (or 9,5 cm for the european folks).  Here is a high-res brochure scan.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:05 AM
When you check SAKwiki under Wenger Models-Other, the Professionals are listed under 93mm, but there's no link to anything. Could you possibly establish a link to that scanned brochure?

Karl

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 02:47:38 AM
Ya a lot of the Wenger stuff is messed up, and the series.  I'm slowing trying to clean it and fix links.  The series pages are messed up with last wiki software update and I need to split them up into smaller pages.  I've started it behind the scenes, but there never seems to be enough time.  Since they are messed up I hate to create a new one just right now for the Professional Series, so there is no link on that page to anywhere. 

I'll try to fix something up, since these knives are showing up more.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 03:22:01 AM
if there is more than two variations it would be worth expanding the wenger section to have 95mm... i understand with the VIP its easier to dump it in the other section
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 03:31:13 AM
if there is more than two variations it would be worth expanding the wenger section to have 95mm... i understand with the VIP its easier to dump it in the other section
The plan would be that from the "Other" page There would be a link to another list, so all the models won't be on the "Other" page, that will just be a landing page that directs you to a page dedicated to 95mm series.

Right now I linked it to the later series brochure as Karl suggested.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 03:50:13 AM
I've never messed with SAKwiki. Given my usual level of computer "expertise" I'm likely to destroy the entire site. 

Karl
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:08:24 AM by ColoSwiss »

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 10:33:07 AM
hi

Nice find!

Here is mine,..
Wenger 88 (600x450).jpg
* Wenger 88 (600x450).jpg (Filesize: 188.13 KB)
Get more tools

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:47 PM
Just wow... :drool: :drool:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 06:12:11 PM
Want one! :drool:

Excellent stuff.... great score :cheers

Coloswiss, if you care to part with that '74 with the bail, I'd be VERY interested :D
(I have some nice Alox hiding out here ;))
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 09:42:35 PM

Coloswiss, if you care to part with that '74 with the bail, I'd be VERY interested :D

It's the only one I've see of that model. I think I'll keep it. However if you have some rare alox you want to get rid of I have a couple of beat-up Classics I'll trade.  :D

Karl

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:05 PM

It's the only one I've see of that model. I think I'll keep it. However if you have some rare alox you want to get rid of I have a couple of beat-up Classics I'll trade.  :D

Karl
I picked up one of the 4 layer models from 74 recently, had to pay a pretty penny for it.  It's scales are a bit rough and only a faint outline of the badge is left.  I think the bail was removed as well.  Being 4 layers I'd love to find one in better shape. 

On my 4 layer one, I seem to remember 1 liner and spacer being nickle-silver and the other liners being aluminium, is your sample like that as well?

I'm convinced their move to plastic scales really doomed this line, as when I hold the old ones and then the new ones, they don't even feel like a Swiss Knife.  I think competing with the Alox models from Vic, may have been too hard for them anyway.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:08:19 AM
My 4-blade nylon one doesn't have liners. The spacers appear to be two aluminum and one brass. All of my half-dozen plastic ones do have aluminum liners and brass spacers. I have one of the three-blade Original Swiss Stock Knives with the clip blade which is undated. Mine is fairly rough, but the few I've seen on ebay went for way too much.  A few years back I tried to dig up some more of these. The few I found were all in eastern Europe.  Apart from language problems I'm always leery of given my credit card info to places in that region.

When I was down at the Wenger store in Boulder recently they said the Standard Issue was going to be discontinued. Apparently some of the equipment is worn out and they don't sell enough of the SIs to justify retooling. If they have some spare parts they may throw some of the Professionals together to clean out the store rooms (maybe that's why we're seeing some showing up now). Otherwise I wouldn't look for these to be reintroduced.

Karl
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:17:35 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:50 AM
My 4-blade nylon one doesn't have liners. The spacers appear to be two aluminum and one brass. All of my half-dozen plastic ones do have aluminum liners and brass spacers. I have one of the three-blade Original Swiss Stock Knives with the clip blade which is undated. Mine is fairly rough, but the few I've seen on ebay went for way too much.  A few years back I tried to dig up some more of these. The few I found were all in eastern Europe.  Apart from language problems I'm always leery of given my credit card info to places in that region.

When I was down at the Wenger store in Boulder recently they said the Standard Issue was going to be discontinued. Apparently some of the equipment is worn out and they don't sell enough of the SIs to justify retooling. If they have some spare parts they may throw some of the Professionals together to clean out the store rooms (maybe that's why we're seeing some showing up now). Otherwise I wouldn't look for these to be reintroduced.

Karl

Make that 4-layer. :oops:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 05:12:13 PM
My 4-layer nylon one doesn't have liners. The spacers appear to be two aluminum and one brass. All of my half-dozen plastic ones do have aluminum liners and brass spacers. I have one of the three-blade Original Swiss Stock Knives with the clip blade which is undated. Mine is fairly rough, but the few I've seen on ebay went for way too much.  A few years back I tried to dig up some more of these. The few I found were all in eastern Europe.  Apart from language problems I'm always leery of given my credit card info to places in that region.

Karl
Thanks; Sorry I was not being precise enough with my language; I call all the spacers on SAKs liners, and don't distinguish the outside ones as liners, as in most cases they serve a different purpose (or multiple purposes), as opposed to liners used in other types of knife construction.  I believe Vic calls them all spacers and does not distinguish.  Although I think on the Gardener their fuctionality could be considered that of a liner if there is a formal definition.

So on my 4-layer one there are no outside spaces, or liners, and the spacer between the blade/reamer layer appears nickle-silver.

I see a few of the newer ones still on ebay this week, so people in Europe might want to grab them.  I did not ask if they would ship to the US.

I saw one of those Stock knives on ebay a while back, would love one, it either went for big dollars or I could not bid on it for some other reason.  I'd certainly like to add one of those to my collection.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:38 PM
My 4-layer

I see a few of the newer ones still on ebay this week, so people in Europe might want to grab them.  I did not ask if they would ship to the US.

Which European ebay? I'd like to pick up a few more if possible.

Thanks,

Karl
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:49:33 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 10:54:43 PM

Thanks,

Karl
see PM.

see second PM
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:00:49 PM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:43 AM

Thanks,

Karl
see PM.

see second PM

Received. Thanks.

Karl

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30