Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New extra thin Macbook

Pacu · 5 · 1434

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
New extra thin Macbook
on: February 07, 2008, 02:45:38 AM
I was at work today installing some new data lines at work and we have that new super thin Macbook out now.
This thing weighed almost nothing and was less than 1/4 inch thick.

aside from that you would think that 1800 bucks would get you something more than an 80 hard drive and no optical drive at all. It does have a wow factor though.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New extra thin Macbook
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:44:21 AM
For $1800 I can break a lot of Dells! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline cryptrick

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:52:21 PM
This new ultra thin mac has got to be one of the most overhyped, overrated things I've ever seen. Why would you want a laptop so thin, so thin that it lacks features such as no optical drive ::) There are plenty of slim laptops, half the price, with DVD drives. Perhaps its just me, but being able to fit my laptop in a paper bag really doesn't sell it to me. When I need to send a laptop in a paper bag I'll consider investing in one :P 
[

Offline Levi

• What just happened?
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:55:37 AM
I think it's perfect for some people and unsuitable for a lot of people.

A lot of people have done away with desktops altogether and just use a laptop at home and on the move. The MacBook Air is certainly not for those people, or people (like me) who already have a fairly light/thin laptop. It's for people with a Mac Pro/iMac at home and who want something nice and light to use on the train/plane/in Starbucks/in business meetings/in classes etc.

When I look at my laptop usage away from home... do I need more that 80GB of storage? No. I only need my work documents. Do I use the optical drive? No. File transfer is all done via Wi-Fi or USB flash drives. Do I need more than 1 USB port? No. On the move I'm probably only going to need to plug in a flash drive and maybe a printer every now and then. Do I need super-fast speeds? No. While faster is always nicer, I'm not going to be transcoding video on the move; I'm going to be on the net, or writing, or browsing photos, or watching a film. Do I need more than one battery? Probably not; I haven't so far.

It will be interesting to see Apple using the knowledge they've gained from this project in other products in the future, and if it goes well it will be interesting to see how Sony etc. counter (I've loved Sony's "sub-laptops" for while, but the keyboards, processors, memory, screen size, cost and Windows have always put me off. I can't wait to see what they bring out next.).

I

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:57:13 AM
     I am using a regular macbook now and it seems almost to small but I have to say that it has been a great laptop and a whole lot cheaper and better equipped than the really thin one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%