Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SAK Whittling Club

Smaug · 696 · 73661

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: The SAK Whittling Club
Reply #150 on: July 16, 2015, 09:08:51 AM
Nice natural forks mate :tu:

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #151 on: July 16, 2015, 02:34:42 PM
 :tu:

What do you use for the bands? Surgical tubing, proper slingshot bands, or ??

Also, what are your targets? Just plinking around?

I'm on the lookout for natural forks now. Might have to break out the Hiker one day soon.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: July 16, 2015, 05:23:38 PM

What do you use for the bands? Surgical tubing, proper slingshot bands, or ??

Also, what are your targets? Just plinking around?

I'm on the lookout for natural forks now. Might have to break out the Hiker one day soon.

Natural forks shoot better with flatbands.  This stuff is called theraband gold.  You can buy it in bulk and cut it yourself into strips. i have been buying these precut on e##y from a good seller.

Targets are plinking cans or dead branches when walking in the woods.  Or at home or at the ranch, vermin(mice, barn-rats) or small game(doves, rabbit).  Ive yet to hit a dove

I made a backstop out of an old trashcan with a rubber mat on the bottom and i fill with cardborad boxes.  I lay it sideways and hang a can or something small to shoot at that makes sound.  Right now I have an imitation china sak getting slammed with rocks and marbles.  The backstop is nice because you get to find and reuse your ammo with little effort

I llike primitave things.  It is a connection to the past.  I prefer rifles that are single shot or bolt action also.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: July 16, 2015, 05:26:41 PM
Nice natural forks mate :tu:

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Thanks fren.  I forgot to mention that you have to use hardwood from desidious trees.  never trees with needles like pine or fur(theyre soft)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #154 on: July 16, 2015, 06:06:10 PM
My Uncle had a special kit to build these (pocketknife, small saw, manual drill. rubbers, string and leathers)...he and my Dad used their slingshots to feed their family in 1940's Oklahoma. I always had one growing up.  Still a few of my Uncle's forks around here.

Here's an unused one that my Uncle made my Dad...
Slingshot fork.JPG
* Slingshot fork.JPG (Filesize: 51.66 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #155 on: July 16, 2015, 06:15:54 PM
I llike primitave things.  It is a connection to the past.  I prefer rifles that are single shot or bolt action also.

There are some AMAZING marksmen with slingshots. Some guys can shoot almost as well with a slingshot as with a high-end airgun. There's one guy on YouTube who posts his hunting videos where he'll knock a squirrel out of a tree at respectable distances (40m?), then have to go finish him off.

You said you've yet to hit a dove. Stationary or on the wing?

What do you use for the pouch? Bits of old leather?

How do you attach it to the slingshots?

My Uncle had a special kit to build these (pocketknife, small saw, manual drill. rubbers, string and leathers)...he and my Dad used their slingshots to feed their family in 1940's Oklahoma. I always had one growing up.  Still a few of my Uncle's forks around here.

Wow! A couple of my great uncles helped feed the family with an old shotgun, and I thought THAT was amazing. We've gotten soft over the years.

My son's at an age now where we would LOVE to go wandering with airguns or slingshots, hunting. But he's an impulsive and irresponsible 11 year-old and we live in an urban area. :( I have to forbid video games and TV to get him outdoors sometimes.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #156 on: July 16, 2015, 07:12:06 PM

Here's an unused one that my Uncle made my Dad...

SAK Guy, you need to finish that catapault and make some stew for the kids.  When they ask whats in it, just say "meat and veggies."

Smaug-  Shooting a live animal is really different from shooting a can on a string.  Doves never wait around for a second shot.  I wish I could shoot a flying dove out of the sky. 

The guy i buy theraband gold bands from pre ties the leather bits

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #157 on: August 16, 2015, 05:37:49 AM
Finished my first slingshot today.

I cut the fork a few weeks ago, and ordered the bands from a Hong Kong seller, which arrived last week.

Today, I cut the notches in the fork "tines" and attached the band. First, I tried tying the backs of them on with string. But the band came off about every shot that way. (The first pix show this setup)

Then, I decided to just drill holes through the tines, run the bands through, and wedge them in place with two whittled sections of branch. That seemed to work great, but I need to do some performance testing yet.

I did the whole project just with the Soldier. The whittling parts weren't easy, thanks to the serrations and the chisel grind...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:39:55 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #158 on: October 25, 2015, 05:44:29 AM
The other day, my lad used his Swisschamp to cut a fallen tree into a slingshot shape:

We haven't finished it yet, but the end is in sight!

We figure we'll take our slingshots and a pocketful of stones into the woods and harass the squirrels. Don't worry, they'll be perfectly safe. ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: November 06, 2015, 03:22:12 AM
its nice to see youngsters doing things i did when i was young.  Good Luck hunting

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #160 on: November 06, 2015, 12:23:58 PM
Finished my first slingshot today.

I cut the fork a few weeks ago, and ordered the bands from a Hong Kong seller, which arrived last week.

Today, I cut the notches in the fork "tines" and attached the band. First, I tried tying the backs of them on with string. But the band came off about every shot that way. (The first pix show this setup)

Then, I decided to just drill holes through the tines, run the bands through, and wedge them in place with two whittled sections of branch. That seemed to work great, but I need to do some performance testing yet.

I did the whole project just with the Soldier. The whittling parts weren't easy, thanks to the serrations and the chisel grind...

Thank God you're not in NJ.  Possession of this is a felony offence, if caught.  Nice job.  Great to see the kids getting involved.  A great bonding experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #161 on: November 06, 2015, 07:08:58 PM
...Thank God you're not in NJ.  Possession of this is a felony offence, if caught...

A slingshot? Do they use them for grenade launchers up there or what?  :facepalm:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #162 on: November 08, 2015, 01:55:33 PM
...Thank God you're not in NJ.  Possession of this is a felony offence, if caught...

A slingshot? Do they use them for grenade launchers up there or what?  :facepalm:

It's sad, but true.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #163 on: December 28, 2015, 06:25:35 PM
Great thread, one of my young lads was asking me about whittling/carving using his hiker and i was going to start a thread asking whats a recommended book or two. I think this thread deserves a bump instead :)
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #164 on: December 28, 2015, 06:40:44 PM
Smuag.  How does that shoot with tubular bands?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: January 01, 2016, 04:20:26 PM
ok, ordered a copy of the little book of whittling for my lads (and me :) ) - best deal i could find online was €12.97 inc shipping, which is pretty ok i think.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: January 01, 2016, 05:24:23 PM
ok, ordered a copy of the little book of whittling for my lads (and me :) ) - best deal i could find online was €12.97 inc shipping, which is pretty ok i think.

We want pictures of your projects when you start up.  :pok:  :D

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: January 02, 2016, 07:19:18 PM

We want pictures of your projects when you start up.  :pok:  :D

yeah i ordered the book more for my lads then myself but i'll give it a try though.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #168 on: January 02, 2016, 08:45:57 PM
The other day, my lad used his Swisschamp to cut a fallen tree into a slingshot shape:

We haven't finished it yet, but the end is in sight!

We figure we'll take our slingshots and a pocketful of stones into the woods and harass the squirrels. Don't worry, they'll be perfectly safe. ;)

Good job Dad. I like the idea of doing slingshots so me and the older grandchildren may have to try this one.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:47:18 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #169 on: January 02, 2016, 09:02:07 PM

It's sad, but true.

Very ridiculous. Every boy/girl should grow up shooting a sling shot (if they are interested). It taught me basic right vs wrong decision making as well as consequences of shooting animals with anything. Lessons children should learn young in my opinion. Not just pertaining to animals, but shooting things that will break and cause monetary damage. 

Catching a felony for a slingshot is just about the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.  :think:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:04:28 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #170 on: January 31, 2016, 01:14:55 AM
Smuag.  How does that shoot with tubular bands?

Pretty well, I think. The reason I say 'I think' is that I've not shot any truly round ammo out of it yet, just roundish stones at posts sticking out of the water, seagulls, etc. Haven't hit a seagull yet, as it would have to be on the first shot, and they don't stick around after the first miss. :)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #171 on: January 31, 2016, 01:19:34 AM
Catching a felony for a slingshot is just about the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.  :think:

I think they do it because it is easy and cheap to cause hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of damage with a slingshot, and almost impossible to catch someone at it, so they make the penalty steep.

But I agree, it's dumb. I'd bet that if an officer caught you with one NOT doing something bad, he'd let you off on a lesser offense.

Here's a slingshot story from my youth. We were maybe 11 or 12:

A friend and I had slingshots and were shooting rocks at the wooden fence of the local pool. (it was closed) Nothing more.

A cop came by and picked us up for shooting out one of the pool lights, which happened to be broken.

The thing we didn't think to mention at the time was that the light was half full of water from rain the night before, and it hadn't rained the day we were there. So we got in a lot of trouble over nothing.  ::)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #172 on: December 25, 2016, 09:22:56 PM
I got the ideal to carve something using a Spirit...

I used the blade, awl and wood saw...along with a spoon knife. It was somewhat of an ordeal because the factory bevel is less than ideal for carving and I did not want to change it. It did stay sharp during the process with just stropping. The Spirit was surprisingly comfortable...not hot spots, a bit clumsy though being so handle heavy.

The model for the spoon was an antique Baskin-Robbins ice cream spoon I found in the back of a kitchen drawer.
mugspoon01.jpg
* mugspoon01.jpg (Filesize: 90.43 KB)
mugspoon03.jpg
* mugspoon03.jpg (Filesize: 95.39 KB)
mugspoon04.jpg
* mugspoon04.jpg (Filesize: 80.08 KB)
br_spoon02.jpg
* br_spoon02.jpg (Filesize: 99.37 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #173 on: December 25, 2016, 09:39:09 PM
I'd happily eat some ice cream with that mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #174 on: December 26, 2016, 12:32:26 AM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #175 on: December 26, 2016, 01:01:37 AM

+1 That is a very nice looking spoon Spork :like: :like:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #176 on: December 26, 2016, 01:50:42 AM

+1 That is a very nice looking spoon Spork :like: :like:

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I left the back of the spoon "as carved" and only sanded the front...first time I've tried it that way and I like the results.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:40:49 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #177 on: December 26, 2016, 02:24:05 AM
We just got the little book too....can hardly wait to start! 
Barry

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #178 on: January 06, 2017, 10:28:49 AM
Fantastic thread! I'm eager to start whittling this year, and I have a few projects in mind already.

Have a couple questions for more experienced whittlers though -

1) Any recommendations for a good starter hook/spoon knife? I've seen a few around but keen to hear recommendations if any. Or is there another way for carving spoons using use a SAK (I have a Climber and a Hiker)

2) Anyone aware of the legality of sawing off a small branch or twig from a tree in a woodland or even from a tree on the side of the street (in the UK)? There are a few different woods I want to try out and I think I've spotted a few on local streets. Obviously I don't want to break the law or damage anything in a woodland reserve, but does anyone have any tips with this? Should you stick to fallen branches and dead wood?

Thanks!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #179 on: January 06, 2017, 11:11:01 AM
2) Anyone aware of the legality of sawing off a small branch or twig from a tree in a woodland or even from a tree on the side of the street (in the UK)? There are a few different woods I want to try out and I think I've spotted a few on local streets. Obviously I don't want to break the law or damage anything in a woodland reserve, but does anyone have any tips with this? Should you stick to fallen branches and dead wood?

Thanks!

In the UK even fallen wood is the property of the land owner and to take it is theft.  In the countryside that will usually be either private land owners or the Forestry Commission; in urban streets likely the local council.  You might take the view that no-one is going to get too upset over someone picking up a single fallen branch.  But to cut a branch from a living tree that is owned by someone else will surely be considered criminal damage or theft.

In past centuries, we had ancient rights to gather firewood on common land, but those rights have been removed for good reason.  The decay of dead wood is an essential part of the ecosystem, and if you had millions of people hoovering it all up for their fashionable log-burning stoves it would be bad for the health of the woodland.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%