Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tackle Box MT?

Poll

Which do you use or suggest for Fishing Duty?

Gerber Dime
LM Micra
Vic Fisherman
Vic Angler
Gerber Flik Fish
Other (Please Describe)

us Offline DeezNittles

Tackle Box MT?
on: April 16, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Looking for a tool to stash in my tackle box.  Weight is kind of an issue because I hike into a lot of "hot spots". Your input is greatly appreciated.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Tackle Box MT?
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:53 PM
Well a pulse is darn near the perfect fishing tool but with the weight issue a juice with scissors might work better for you. The Gerbers with the crazy long needle nose pliers are sweet too, holding a fish in one hand and flicking out a set of pliers would be slick. I suppose any of gerbers sliders, I'm thinkin MP400, something affordable to replace if they happen to sink to the bottom.

Stay multi my friends

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Tackle Box MT?
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:04:32 PM
A PST II might  be a good choice for you. The PST II  has a diamond file, scissors and only weighs 5 oz. There is always some on the bay and you can usually find one at a decent price.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:55 PM
For fishing Id want something that can cut hard steel hooks.  Im not sure which (if any) MTs have carbide inserts for cutters, but that would be my biggest concern.. well having had a hook stuck in my finger and nothing to cut it, thats my reason.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline David

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:12 PM
The Gerber 600 Fisherman had carbide insert cutters. But it is big and heavy and hard to find as it has been disco`d for some time.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:24:50 PM
The LM Pulse would be pretty good but if you do go for one, get the model with the fish hook line in the diamond file like this one :tu:

Also see this MTO link for more fishy mt's and check out Coast products :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 03:21:09 AM
I've tried various MT and SAK for fishing, but eventually went back to a rapala pliers/forceps combo. They are cheap so I don't care too much if they plop into the water or lost in grass, or stink up by working on fish. And frankly they work better than any MT.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 08:55:44 PM
I almost hate to even admit this, but I came across this while walking through a Walmart the other day (I was killing time, not shopping).

The in-store price was about $5, as opposed to the $7 listed below.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Mini-Fishing-Tool/16637412

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:11 PM
Okay... I have to admit, after seeing that fishing MT I posted, my curiosity got the best of me, and i purchased it yesterday.

My review in 2 words: Don't bother.

It's pretty terrible.

Use the same $5 and go get a 'Great Neck 12-in-1 Mini Multi Tool' from K-Mart. I have one of these and they're great for function, if a bit iffy on fit and finish.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_010W012825630001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Tackle Box MT?
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:54 AM
I've seen that tool many times Lynn but never bought it, now I'm glad I didn't.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:30:29 AM

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_010W012825630001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I am glad to see they offer EU shipping too.

However the shipping cost for e.g. a 22 euro LM Micra is 41 Euro, which makes the whole idea of buying it from them seem stupid.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:53:24 PM
I did a quick review on the Berkley fishing tool in the Cheapo multitool thread here...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36424.msg598801.html#msg598801

Zed's post just above that shows a tool which is basically identical to the kmart one I linked above, which he got for 2 pounds. That means you should be able to get it in Europe SOMEWHERE pretty cheap and avoid the shipping-across-the-Atlantic cost. Heck, Zed even said he might be picking up duplicates. Might hit him up and see if he's will to sell one.

Back on the issue of the Berkley, I think my short review covers everything, but I'm happy to field any questions about it. It's not all bad. It actually has a lot going for it, but not enough for me to recommend buying it, even at just $5.

gb Offline Likeablefish

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 02:29:20 AM
Even though weight may be an issue, i would still go for a full size tool prefferably a BO Wave or at least a BO PST paired with a micra or style, those full size pliers sure do come in handy when your unhooking your latest monster fish!  :tu:

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:30:02 AM
I fish mostly salt water, and I gotta be honest, I use cheap-ass craptastic tools costing less than $10 if possible. I've had too may quality tools rust or corrode, no matter the finish, when exposed to salt water, salt spray, and salt air. And then there's the risk of one dropping into the drink while trying to pull a hook from a struggling fish. Even if I used a wrist lanyard and kept a dunk-bucket of fresh water handy to rinse it, I'd still be leery. I's just easier to pack a disposa-tool.

So the tool in my tackle box is a small Coast tool, very similar to the Berkley tool Lynn reviewed. Amazingly, while it's got some white corrosion that I just can't clean up, I'm not shedding tears over it, and I've actually managed to not lose the thing for so long that the tool is probably a collectible now, Coast doesn't make this one anymore. Go figure.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:34:23 AM by Gryffin »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:20:09 PM
I agree. I would never use an expensive MT for fishing purposes. With a cheap tool, you won't mind all that much the first time you drop it and watch it sink out of sight.

I would suggest the Coast larger brother. Place this on your sheath and you should be good to go. The pliers are actually very good for fishing. It is cheap enough that you can buy two for the price of a higher end MT.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11744.msg217836.html#msg217836

If a  hook sharpener is a must, then you can always buy a small portable one. The sheath is ideal for carrying one inside the sheath as well due to the large zippered compartment.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33426.msg543738.html#msg543738

Here are a few other links you might find useful...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,12803.msg239332.html#msg239332

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22590.msg417781.html#msg417781

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:22:44 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 03:43:03 PM
I agree. I would never use an expensive MT for fishing purposes. With a cheap tool, you won't mind all that much the first time you drop it and watch it sink out of sight.

First time? BTDT, bruthah. 

>kerplunk<  :rant:

I would suggest the Coast larger brother. Place this on your sheath and you should be good to go. The pliers are actually very good for fishing. It is cheap enough that you can buy two for the price of a higher end MT.

Looks like just what I need! Just might hafta get over to WallyWorld this weekend. Thanks!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 04:33:56 PM
oh, I am either unlucky or a bit of a fishing klutz. My worst mistake was moving a what I thought locked tackle box from the pier to the boat only to find out it opened mid way. That was expensive. My father couldn't stop laughing at the look on my face as I saw countless fishing items sink. With that said,  I have lost various other things to the waters.  :-[

Come to think about it, that trend goes into golfing as well. If there is a water hazard, I am consecrating that ball to the water gods for sure.

As for that MT, I think you will be happy with it. Not as good quality wise as the top end tools, but it does have its charms.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline mkianni

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:45 AM
I never could make up my mind.  :(

I have to say when it comes to taking a deep hook out, the longer the needle nose the better. So the stainless steel berkley pliers with the blue handles is the tool I find myself using the most.

The Gerber fish flik are kinda cool I guess............as a conversation piece more than anything.  :-\
001.JPG
* 001.JPG (Filesize: 256.47 KB)

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 06:02:34 AM
I have over 13 different MT's,but the PSTII has always been my go to fishing multi,the diamond fish hook sharpener and the scissors are a must with me. :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%