Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not all fun and games

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Not all fun and games
on: February 05, 2008, 07:55:45 AM
As much as I enjoyed the SHOT Show this year, it certainly has had it's problems.  On the way down to Las Vegas, a two hour layover in Chicago lasted for four hours, and Bob's flight was outright canceled.  I didn't get to the hotel until about 2am and barely got any sleep before getting up again to see the opening of the show.  Bob didn't arrive until lunchtime the first day, which created some problems with us meeting up, but fortunately we worked it out eventually.

Now, as I type this, I am lying on a bench in Chicago's O'Hare airport, when I should have been home a couple of hours ago.  I arrived here to find my flight to Halifax was canceled, and now I have until tomorrow morning to get a flight to Washington, then change planes again to get home.  Bob's flight was canceled as well and now he is currently about 200 miles from his home, stuck at the Detroit airport and has to wait until the morning for the next one.

I left the hotel in Las Vegas at nine thirty in the morning and I won't arrive home until around supper time tomorrow, which means all told, I will have had spent more time traveling to and from Las Vegas than I actually spent there.

I can't wait to get home!  The worst part is, I have a pile of new (to me) tools in my luggage, and all this time to kill, but I can't get to them to play!  If I'd known that I was going to be held up like this, I'd have spent another day at the SHOT Show, and another night at the Las Vegas Hilton, even if it was a tad pricey.   >:(

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Re: Not all fun and games
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:17:33 AM
Hey,  STFU, some of here ain't so lucky to be stuck in the midst of multi's, knives, and hookers!  Wait.....I didn't mean hookers..... I meant ..... man, it sucks to be lonely.  >:(
Splat

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:01 AM
Hey,  STFU, some of here ain't so lucky to be stuck in the midst of multi's, knives, and hookers!  Wait.....I didn't mean hookers..... I meant ..... man, it sucks to be lonely.  >:(
:D That was the funniest post I have read all day Splat. Sorry for all the problems Def.
"

us Offline Splat

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:32:52 AM
That's what a 12 pack of Schaefer and a long days does to ya, bud. ....and some of the clients didn't pay today. .....Just gotta double up on them next time. . ;)  Man, sometimes I hate owning my own company. ............................But the Giants DID WIN!  :-))))))))))))))))
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:40:34 PM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:37:08 AM

Multi's, knives, and hookers, I wish! Unfortunately, looks like there aren't any of the above at Detroit Metro this evening. I'm stuck here for another ten hours. Not to worry though, I've got 110 volts and internet service, I'll survive! :D

* Camera Download 003.jpg (Filesize: 92.88 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:41:43 AM
That's about what it looks like here too, only with less trees.  I get the feeling I'm the only guy with a canceled flight, and maybe the other passengers knew something I didn't!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:43:04 AM
And i thought it was bad spending 8hrs on or waiting for trains over the weekend, at least you'll have nothing better to do now than post all the info you've accumulated! :P
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:47:58 AM
And i thought it was bad spending 8hrs on or waiting for trains over the weekend, at least you'll have nothing better to do now than post all the info you've accumulated! :P
Way to see the up side Ryan :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:50:02 AM
Way to see the up side Ryan :D

As someone famous said "Always look on the bright side of life" :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:47 AM
And that's exactly what I've been doing....  :D

I am not saying that we didn't have a good time because we did.  There would have to be something seriously wrong with us if we didn't enjoy ourselves in the biggest toy store around!

Just letting you know there were some down sides... like the amazingly overpriced hotel room...  and the travel problems.  I guarantee you unless I am visiting Chicago specifically I am never coming to O'Hare again.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 09:17:08 AM
Yep, it was well worth the hassle!  :)

Hey! I just realized that my stomach is gnawing a hole through my backbone. Haven't eaten anything since breakfast yesterday morning with Def. Hmmmm, all the food booths are shut down.....help me out fellas, any recommendations?

* Camera Download 006.jpg (Filesize: 118.31 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 09:22:33 AM
Out of that lot i'd take either the Doritos or the m&m's. I do like that vending machines use a technology that was invented a couple of thousand years ago!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:50 AM
It worries me that what was once used to supply folk with the ever necessary water that sustains us is now used to supply folk with cheetos.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:47 AM
Go for the healthy option...take the M&M's :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:34:21 AM
Mmmmmm peanut M&M's....

No vending machines here, just a lot of restaurants that are unfortunately closed for the night....   :(

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 11:37:49 AM
I love peanut M&M's!  :drool:

Sorry to hear about all your problems guys.  Glad you had a good time while you were there though.

I'm back!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:45:44 PM

I am not saying that we didn't have a good time because we did.  There would have to be something seriously wrong with us if we didn't enjoy ourselves in the biggest toy store around!

Just letting you know there were some down sides... like the amazingly overpriced hotel room...  and the travel problems.  I guarantee you unless I am visiting Chicago specifically I am never coming to O'Hare again.

Def

Hopefully, this will help:  http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/brghtsd.mp3
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 03:10:07 PM
order pizza! they'll deliver there!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 03:15:28 PM
Bob is on his way home now and he should be there in a few hours.  I have another hour until my first flight takes off, then assuming I am not too late, I get a connection that will take me home.  With any luck I'll be home by supper time- not bad considering I left just after breakfast yesterday!   :twak:

Def

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 03:40:06 AM

Def
With great power, comes great responsiblity :D
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 10:05:39 PM
I got home last night and my luggage arrived this afternoon!  It was all there too, except one of the zippers on one of the outside flaps was broken.  I'll take it up with the airlines, but the bag is still covered by Wenger's ten year warranty so I don't think it'll be a big problem.  I never use those pockets anyway.

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 10:08:05 PM
I got home last night and my luggage arrived this afternoon!  It was all there too, except one of the zippers on one of the outside flaps was broken.  I'll take it up with the airlines, but the bag is still covered by Wenger's ten year warranty so I don't think it'll be a big problem.  I never use those pockets anyway.

Def

Phew!  Glad to see that arrived safely mate.  Especially with all those SHOT show goodies in there.
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 10:53:43 PM
Yah what did ya get for swag?
S

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 11:54:49 PM
Glad to know you're home now Def.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 12:07:47 AM
We got all kinds of stuff, although a hefty percentage of stuff I had bought before the show and had shipped either to Bob or Tim to bring to the show.

I have never owned a Zilla, but now I have 3, I have a Guppie, a Micra etched with SHOT SHOW 2008, red handled SwissGrip, SOG ToolClip, Mini Bear Jaws (Thanks Mikey!), another Benchmade Rescue Tool... all kinds of goodies.

And, wait till you see what I got from ToolLogic!  This little gizmo will turn some heads, guaranteed!

Thanks Eddie- it's really nice to be back.  If I had come straight home from SHOT I'd probably not appreciate home quite as much! :D

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 12:13:10 AM
Ohhh a red handled swiss grip. I am soo jealous. Can I have it?

Hey ya cant blame a guy for trying.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 12:19:54 AM
You could have bought it last week when it was for sale here at Multitool.org! :P

Unless some jackass beat you to it?  :pok:

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 12:21:31 AM
Yah I was drooling over it. But finances are tight and I really want the new mini Zilla and the Gerber Flix(bet you never thought I would want a gerber)

However. Did you also go to Surefire by chance?
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 12:31:56 AM
Nope, no Surefire.... time was unfortunately limited and many of the flashlight manufacturers had to take a back seat to the tool manufacturers.

:(

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 12:33:48 AM
No Matter. But I just want to thank ya for all your hard work. I know it was fun but we also appreciate the pics. and the reviews.

Any of the companies state if they would come by to see us?
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD