Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What tools MTs shouldn't have

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: What tools MTs shouldn't have
Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:50 PM
I've considered the large flat-head as a specific tool as on the Leatherman Wave, and it occurs to me that it has more than the specific purpose of turning flatheads. It's also a general purpose prying tool. For that alone, I think every MT should have a stout flathead driver. Just my opinion, of course.

Offline GForGeep

What tools MTs shouldn't have
Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 06:23:46 PM
I like the idea of using the large sturdy flathead to pry with, but even though I don't need one, I would prefer an awl to be there in its place. I could probably use a nail or something similar to make a hole in something but having an awl instead of a flathead would work better for me (better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it). YMMV.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 10:46:45 PM
I think dedicated drivers (like a large flathead) on a tool with removable bits would be something I could do without. I agree with redundancy, but I would just get another bit driver.

It's indespensible for me, I use all my dedicated drivers and like them that way.  I just don't have faith in LM's bit drivers, heard too many breakage stories.  I know they are great but I like to be able to put some arse behind my drivers.  That and I use the flat heads for probing and prying, can't do without them.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 09:51:57 PM
I've considered the large flat-head as a specific tool as on the Leatherman Wave, and it occurs to me that it has more than the specific purpose of turning flatheads.

That's the thing: every tool on a multi has multiple uses, if you apply a little imagination!

Yeah, few of us open cans often enough to justify a dedicated can opener, but I use mine fairly often: the tip as an (admittedly lame) awl, the edge as a scraper, and of course the implement includes a wire stripper. Some folks have mentioned using the corkscrew to untie knots. I scrape and pry with the flat drivers all the time. Etc. etc. etc....

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 09:54:00 PM
Regarding the knife blade issue, it depends on the tool, and whether you're carrying a separate knife. Most multi knife blades are awful, with thick edges, soft edges, awkward geometry, and of course a non-ideal handle; and unless one-hand opening, more trouble to access than they're worth most of the time. But one thing I like about the Charge/Wave is that the blades are both good enough quality and easy enough to access that I can do without a separate knife. So they do have a place, at least for some folks.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #65 on: May 11, 2012, 09:49:16 AM
I've considered the large flat-head as a specific tool as on the Leatherman Wave, and it occurs to me that it has more than the specific purpose of turning flatheads.

That's the thing: every tool on a multi has multiple uses, if you apply a little imagination!

Yeah, few of us open cans often enough to justify a dedicated can opener, but I use mine fairly often: the tip as an (admittedly lame) awl, the edge as a scraper, and of course the implement includes a wire stripper. Some folks have mentioned using the corkscrew to untie knots. I scrape and pry with the flat drivers all the time. Etc. etc. etc....

I agree with the multiple uses analogy.  The one thing I think the majority of tools is missing nowadays is a long medium flat head driver.  The Blast/fuse/kick series has it, and I can tell you it was the most used tool on my blast, bar none.  I used it to poke, prod, pry, and to hold things in place.  Very, very versatile tool IMHO. 

The can opener is just as you described it.  I use my for scraping and poking all the time.  I never need to open cans but I do enjoy having a tool that shape on my Multi. 

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:22 PM
Regarding the knife blade issue, it depends on the tool, and whether you're carrying a separate knife. Most multi knife blades are awful, with thick edges, soft edges, awkward geometry, and of course a non-ideal handle; and unless one-hand opening, more trouble to access than they're worth most of the time. But one thing I like about the Charge/Wave is that the blades are both good enough quality and easy enough to access that I can do without a separate knife. So they do have a place, at least for some folks.

I wouldn't buy a MT if it didn't have a plain edge blade.  IMHO the whole idea of an MT is to reduce the number of separate tools that I carry.  Many of the blades on MT's have some of the design compromises that you mention, but they are still useful blades.  The blade on my Juice is too thick and ugly, but it still gets the job done.  Just last night I was planting a tree in my yard and the Juice blade cut the burlap from the root ball and cut the twine from around the branches with easy and I didn't have crowd my pockets with another tool to get the job done.

The steel on the blade may not be a super steel, but that is an advantage.  My MT is a tool and it gets used for all kinds of tasks.  If I happen to ding up the edge of the blade a little I can make it sharp again very easily.   Many of the more expensive steels are much harder to sharpen.

If I had a need to do more precise slicing or if I used a blade more then I would probably want a better blade with a better handle, but for me, the MT blade is a very good tool.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #67 on: May 11, 2012, 04:48:28 PM
If I had a need to do more precise slicing or if I used a blade more then I would probably want a better blade with a better handle, but for me, the MT blade is a very good tool.

Good points, all.  :tu:

I guess I wasn't clear, I don't find MT knives useless, just not a replacement for a "real" knife in most cases. But I actually like having one on my tools, if for nothing else a backup to my "real" blade. Like you said, though, they also come in handy for tasks you might not want to use your super-duper-fancy-pants blade for.

Offline geenp

Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 01:47:10 PM
For me, it would be the can/bottle opener.  It seems that Leatherman lets you pick two of the following:  can opener, awl and scissors.  The can opener is usually standard and I'd much rather have the other two.

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #69 on: May 14, 2012, 05:37:25 PM
I'm probably in minority with my opinion but I would do just fine without scissors - even if I wouldn't have that Micra in my keychain. Also bottle opener is not important although I use that quite often - especially after I cut my finger when opening a bottle with serrated edge of folding knife.  ::) After all most important parts for me are pliers, blade and strong slot driver (...is that a correct term?) - pretty much can be done just with these tools and long history of watching MacGyver.  :tool:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: May 14, 2012, 11:31:38 PM
I'm probably in minority with my opinion but I would do just fine without scissors - even if I wouldn't have that Micra in my keychain. Also bottle opener is not important although I use that quite often - especially after I cut my finger when opening a bottle with serrated edge of folding knife.  ::) After all most important parts for me are pliers, blade and strong slot driver (...is that a correct term?) - pretty much can be done just with these tools and long history of watching MacGyver.  :tool:

I agree. If I carry a pair of scissors it's usually because it just happens to be included in the MT/SAK I choose, it's very seldom I care enough about scissors to include a pair consciously. Ironically, I've become a big fan of the (dedicated) folding scissors Victorinox distributes for some other Swiss manufacturer (I don't know which, it's not mentioned in the catalogue).

And why on Earth would you open a bottle with a serrated edge? :D I would probably rather use the edge of a bench than a serrated edge myself.

Also, I like that almost any tool included on an MT has been mentioned as unwanted by someone till now. Pretty good indication that many different tools has their spot in the market. :)

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 08:53:43 AM
And why on Earth would you open a bottle with a serrated edge? :D

...maybe this one needs a little explanation :D I used to carry a plain edged Byrd Crow folding knife and opened hundreds of bottles with spine of it's blade, setting blade on my index finger and popping the cap off. Then I got a version with serrated edge and this happened day after that. Plain edge slides nicely backwards on your finger when opening - serrated does not.  :oops:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #72 on: May 15, 2012, 09:28:52 AM
That sounds really painful!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 01:43:37 AM
Amici,
I have to cast my vote for the omission of a corkscrew, with the exception of wine drinkers, I feel that the corkscrew should be relegated to the same fate as the buggy whip..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 02:53:51 AM
I keep wondering... of those people who say that you can use the corkscrew to undo knots... couldn't you use an Awl for the same purpose, and it'd be more useful overall? And for the SAK folks, yes, a corkscrew does give you a place to hold a mini screwdriver, but they could use that space for some other tool that could do mini screwdriver duty and something else. Maybe like a cybertool bit holder with a flip-bit or something.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #75 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:59 AM
I keep wondering... of those people who say that you can use the corkscrew to undo knots... couldn't you use an Awl for the same purpose, and it'd be more useful overall? And for the SAK folks, yes, a corkscrew does give you a place to hold a mini screwdriver, but they could use that space for some other tool that could do mini screwdriver duty and something else. Maybe like a cybertool bit holder with a flip-bit or something.

Untying knots is one of the things that the Juice "awl" does well.  Since it is not as sharp as other awls, it does not cut into the cord.
Tick Magnet

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37:15 AM
Lynn LeFey wrote:

I keep wondering... of those people who say that you can use the corkscrew to undo knots... couldn't you use an Awl for the same purpose, and it'd be more useful overall?

Amici,
My thoughts exactly, it's time for the corkscrew to go the way of the do do bird, sorry Carlo Rossi...

Cheers,
Serge

'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #77 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:11 AM
I use the corkscrew for it's intended purpose. I like having one around

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:38 AM
Interesting, thanks Lynn  :salute:

I think this thread shows that all Multi-tools should be easy to disassemble with spare parts available then everyone would be happy  :D

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #79 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:09 PM
corkscrew is great for undoing knots. The awl on a sak is to sharp to undo knots.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Leadfoot

Reply #80 on: May 21, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
My continuous carry for years now has been a Swiss Champ. I've added to it at various times 8 or 10 different MT's, Gerber, Sog, Leatherman... I haven't carried either of my two Leathermen for some time, but have instead been carrying either a 4 or 5in ViseGrip.

Ahh real pliers and wire cutters. And guess what, if I damage either it's not all that expensive to replace.

Not carried it much, but I'm not missing the fish scaler or magnifying glass on the Cyber 42

Was visiting my friend the deputy the evening before the grand opening of the new jail, the electronics installation crew putting in the lock systems were having a problem with some tiny set screws because of their small size. Presto Leadfoot to the rescue and the Mayor was able to spend all night in jail in comfort. So I'd like to keep my eyeglass screw driver, but it would be nice to get rid of the cork screw.

I've never use any of the long blades on the 4 various champs that I've had. The small ones are used for small jobs, bigger jobs are for my single blade pocket knife and the large blade on the Champ is kept new and sharp for emergency surgery. I detest cutting off my own flesh with a dull blade... long story.

I do want my tooth pick. It's my tooth pick and no I don't loan it out.

What I would like Vic to add is a detachable knife sharpener, you know, so that I can sharpen that dull short blade.

Leadfoot

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #81 on: May 21, 2012, 04:35:52 PM
Fish scaler

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 06:28:55 PM
A woodsaw made by GEC....
 8)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #83 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:08 PM
So, looking over the responses, and crossing off the items not wanted,
I've drawn a prototype of the MT that would satisfy most:

:D
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 06:36:46 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

If only it had a philips screwdriver instead of a flat one....  :(

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #85 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:26 PM
If only it had a philips screwdriver instead of a flat one....  :(

:rofl:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #86 on: May 21, 2012, 06:46:22 PM
 :rofl:
I would mod it into a awl.
Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:50 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: “It's fun because it's true.”

us Offline radiotecha1234

Reply #88 on: May 22, 2012, 12:55:59 AM
Nope, that won't work. I would need to remove the handle so I can pocket carry....LOL. I love it. It never ends.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #89 on: May 22, 2012, 12:56:21 AM
What, no bit driver?!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%