Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swapping out Scales

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Swapping out Scales
on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:01 PM
Amici,
Just out of curiosity, how often does anyone swap out the scales on their 91 and 111 mm Vic SAKS? Since their easily obtainable with a variety of patterns, I find myself swapping out the scales on my 20+ Swisschamp about every few months. Right now the color is White which looks very sharp with a red lanyard. I haven't tried swapping out the 111 mm scales yet, since the ones installed from the factory are a pretty picture hard to beat.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Swapping out Scales
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:33:53 PM
The problem is the cost.
I did swap the scales on two of my Victorinox 91mm knives upgrading them to plus scales and getting a pen for them too.
The scales they had were broken, so the change was justified. At a cost of 10 euro however, when we talk about the cheaper Victorinox models, I may as well buy a new knife.
One of them was a tinker, a pretty cheap model, the other a huntsman. I could have probably bought a new tinker for the money..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:16:11 PM
I wonder if there's a cheap place to get scales?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:11 PM
T

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:27 PM
Amici,
What is the preferred tool to use when removin g scales from a SAK? I've been using a tiny torx bit with much success, but I wanted to see if there is an "official" tool that one can use which will result in the least amount of scratching to the liners as one pulls upward to pop off the scale.

Cheers,
Serge

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:38 PM
Amici,
What is the preferred tool to use when removin g scales from a SAK? I've been using a tiny torx bit with much success, but I wanted to see if there is an "official" tool that one can use which will result in the least amount of scratching to the liners as one pulls upward to pop off the scale.

Cheers,
Serge
Anything with a thin strong blade will work but I prefer a Victorinox or Wenger Watchmaker's Knife originally made for popping off watch case backs..
Vic Watchmaker Knife.jpg
* Vic Watchmaker Knife.jpg (Filesize: 54.71 KB)
T

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:55:17 PM
I tried can opener on a new vic, the plastic is already deforming but the scale wouldn't budge. Not sure if they are now using a stronger attachment, or I just have one that's really tight.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:20 AM
Amici,
Has anyone installed a set of 91 mm nylon scales yet? From what I have seen they look quite sharp. Being of the same nylon material as used on the 111 mm SAK models, they also should be extremely durable, even better than the standard plastic scales.

No more scratch freakout episodes for some of us that are perfectionists when it comes to a scratch free SAK scale.

Cheers,
Serge

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:10:01 AM
I've just used a SAK small blade before and had no issues.  These were on compacts recently bought new.  its best to insert the blade equidistant between the middle and outer rivet then gently slide the blade sharp part first toward a rivet and it will pop right off.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00