Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Minichamp for dress pants pocket carry: A+

Smaug · 12 · 2826

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Minichamp for dress pants pocket carry: A+
on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:21 PM
I carried my Minichamp II to work for the first time today, and it is brilliant so far. Virtually in undetectable in the pocket. It's hard to believe it is four layers thick. It is about the same thickness as a two layer, 3-1/2" model.

It has a good toolset for the dweller of cube towns. I may occasionally miss the #1 Phillips, but I have a Rambler on my keys in my bag, so I'll be OK.

These 58mm SAKs tend to fall out of my pockets, so I have a small para cord lanyard to keep that in check.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:40:55 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Re: Minichamp for dress pants pocket carry: A+
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:48 PM
the minichamp is one of the greatest models ever  :D  i edc mine with wood scales, it just has everything you need for the day to day.
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:40 PM
...it just has everything you need for the day to day.

You know what sold me on it? The orange peeler, for use on clamshell packaging. THAT is a useful feature, one I'd like to see on other SAKs, especially full size ones, in the future. I could make do with only one blade, and without a cuticle pusher. But the "orange peeler" is pure gold.

I even tried to turn a can opener on a Recruit into a similar tool, but screwed it up pretty badly by grinding off the hook, which in turn let the can opener close all the way inside the scales. I may try again on my Tinker, which is already pretty jacked-up, since I welded a chunk out of the main blade by accident.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:10:14 PM
Looks nice in green :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:44 PM
Cool!  You have the original Minichamp (I have one as well and really like it).  The new version of the minichamp has the bottle opener/phillips driver that the Rambler has.

Very nice!

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:42 PM
once i stabbed my thumb with the orange peler when i was trying to open a dumb clam shell package  :rofl: 
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:39:20 PM
Cool!  You have the original Minichamp (I have one as well and really like it).  The new version of the minichamp has the bottle opener/phillips driver that the Rambler has.

I was wondering about that! I was marketed on ebay as a 'Minichamp.' The closest I could find in the current catalog was the Minichamp II. I thought that's what I had.

nuphoria: I don't believe this has a factory option with green scales. I swapped them with a new Classic I had. The Classic now has the beat-up old red scales that came with this one. :)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:55 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the Mini Champ, and I don't even have one!   :facepalm:

I really like the idea of having a lot of tools on a small device like that, especially one that can go on a keychain, but at the same time, I find the 58 mm frame size extremely frustrating at times.  I just prefer the slightly larger scissors and blade of my Executive, and the nice nail file it has is a great little bonus as well.  The orange peeler is a real orange peeler (which I actually use), and it fits my hand very nicely.

I just wish they made a 74 mm version of the phillips/cap-lifter combo tool!  Why oh why can't they make one sized up just a bit to put into the 74 mm frame size???  Why God, why???   :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:23:30 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the Mini Champ, and I don't even have one!   :facepalm:

I really like the idea of having a lot of tools on a small device like that, especially one that can go on a keychain, but at the same time, I find the 58 mm frame size extremely frustrating at times.  I just prefer the slightly larger scissors and blade of my Executive, and the nice nail file it has is a great little bonus as well.  The orange peeler is a real orange peeler (which I actually use), and it fits my hand very nicely.

I just wish they made a 74 mm version of the phillips/cap-lifter combo tool!  Why oh why can't they make one sized up just a bit to put into the 74 mm frame size???  Why God, why???   :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh

Agree.  That is the main reason my Minichamp came off the keychain.  I needed just a bit more knife and scissors.  I also carry an Executive and am extremely pleased with it. (Although I wish it had a real Phillips driver.) I use the orange peeler as a light duty standard driver however.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:46 PM

Agree.  That is the main reason my Minichamp came off the keychain.  I needed just a bit more knife and scissors.  I also carry an Executive and am extremely pleased with it. (Although I wish it had a real Phillips driver.) I use the orange peeler as a light duty standard driver however.
I do exactly the same thing.  A cap lifter isn't a priority tool for me, but a phillips driver is.  I use it regularly for swapping out batteries in my kids toys, remotes for TV's, DVD players, quick adjustments on the derailleurs on my bike, etc.  I use the tip of the nail file on my Exec as an impromptu phillips driver, but it's not always a good fit, and it definitely doesn't work well on the smaller screws.  That's the only reason I still keep my Rambler, is I like having that great little phillips driver available.  At this time though, I'm honestly considering gifting my Rambler to someone who could make better use of than I, because that little bugger frustrates me so darn much!   :ahhh  In the end, I've decided it's out of my regular rotation, and I'm going to find a different / better solution for my pocket carry phillips needs.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:40:04 PM

I do exactly the same thing.  A cap lifter isn't a priority tool for me, but a phillips driver is.  I use it regularly for swapping out batteries in my kids toys, remotes for TV's, DVD players, quick adjustments on the derailleurs on my bike, etc.  I use the tip of the nail file on my Exec as an impromptu phillips driver, but it's not always a good fit, and it definitely doesn't work well on the smaller screws.  That's the only reason I still keep my Rambler, is I like having that great little phillips driver available.  At this time though, I'm honestly considering gifting my Rambler to someone who could make better use of than I, because that little bugger frustrates me so darn much!   :ahhh  In the end, I've decided it's out of my regular rotation, and I'm going to find a different / better solution for my pocket carry phillips needs.

Gerber Shard.  Small, but functional Phillips with prytip.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:23:39 PM
In the end, I've decided it's out of my regular rotation, and I'm going to find a different / better solution for my pocket carry phillips needs.
Build yourself one of these

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD