Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One Everyday Carry (EDC) knife or multi-tool, forever. What would it be?

Smaug · 59 · 11498

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I can't even begin to fault your logic mate and the Huntsman is still my favourite standard SAK.  If I didn't use a pliers based multi so much at work then I'd probably agree with you. :tu:

Yes, that was the kind of response I was looking for.

By the way, if you use pliers-based that much at work, why not just carry a proper pliers and a SAK? Then, you have quick access to the pliers AND to all the tools, without having to open the handles to get to them. I'm sure you thought about that though, and decided you didn't want the bulk of carrying pliers too.

My grandpa used to tell the story of an electrician at his last job who walked around with only a pocket knife, a lineman's pliers, and a flat head screwdriver, and did everything he needed with them.

In truth I'm often carrying a whole bag of dedicated tools, but all to often I'm caught without and so the MT comes into play.  As you say a MT is just easier to causally carry all the time compared to a normal pair of pliers.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
In truth, I can do everything I need to with a SwissTool Spirit X, however I do usually carry a dedicated SAK, too, often because I need a couple screwdrivers between my father and I on builds.

us Offline 82brutus

pic of my favorite huntsman

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
What is ublox, Brutus?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline 82brutus

They make gps positioning chips and other stuff.  I just like the color scheme and don't mind the ads on the side.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Ah, you guys are all barking up the wrong tree!  Work Champ!  Work Champ!  Work Champ!  Say it with me now!  Work Champ!  Work Champ!  Work Champ!   :whistle:

:rofl:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Ah, you guys are all barking up the wrong tree!  Work Champ!...  Work Champ!   :whistle:

While I agree the Workchump has an awesome tool set, I question whether you or anyone, for that matter, would be committed enough to actually carry that beast on a daily basis.

Soon enough, I think, it would end up in a bag, and you'd be caught empty handed in a time of need. That leads to >  :(
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Hard to decide. I would go for a Victorinox Spirit, it has the tools I need most often in a compact sized tool.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

• No Life Club
Ah, you guys are all barking up the wrong tree!  Work Champ!...  Work Champ!   :whistle:

While I agree the Workchump has an awesome tool set, I question whether you or anyone, for that matter, would be committed enough to actually carry that beast on a daily basis.

Soon enough, I think, it would end up in a bag, and you'd be caught empty handed in a time of need. That leads to >  :(
Right now I'm carrying it in a MaxPed sheath on the side of my EDC bag.  If I'm away from my bag for any reason I have my Compact in my pocket, and my Executive on my keychain.

But honestly, my philosophy is that if I could only carry one tool, even if it meant I had to holster carry it on my belt, I'd choose my WC.  It's the only tool I have that I feel will serve me for nearly everything I need in the city or out hiking or on a camping trip, or in my workshop, or biking, or...  You get the idea.  :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline 82brutus

Right now I'm carrying it in a MaxPed sheath on the side of my EDC bag.  If I'm away from my bag for any reason I have my Compact in my pocket, and my Executive on my keychain.

But honestly, my philosophy is that if I could only carry one tool, even if it meant I had to holster carry it on my belt, I'd choose my WC.  It's the only tool I have that I feel will serve me for nearly everything I need in the city or out hiking or on a camping trip, or in my workshop, or biking, or...  You get the idea.  :D

And we'll see how you feel when you're hanging by your fingertips from the side of a building.    :pok:  :pok:  :pok:

• No Life Club

And we'll see how you feel when you're hanging by your fingertips from the side of a building.    :pok:  :pok:  :pok:
Um... yeah.  Whatever.   :whistle:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
It would come down to a shortlist of 4 , Spirit X , Huntsman , Ranger , Handyman ( the SAK I carry most often ATM ) .

Chris

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
It would come down to a shortlist of 4 , Spirit X , Huntsman , Ranger , Handyman ( the SAK I carry most often ATM ) .

Chris

So Handyman?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
SOG Crosscut. I've carried it about 15 years, and for a lot of that time, it was the only MT I carried.

I've carried a Spyderco Delica with it, but I never use it, so it could go and I'd be fine. I'd just feel weird for a while.

The Crosscut doesn't solve every problem I've ever encountered, but it does solve about 95% of them. For the weight, and considering it'd have to fit into whatever I wore and wherever I went, that's the one.

I actually thought about this a great deal since this thread was posted. I have a real issue separating 'need' and 'want' in an MT. I like the file on the Wave, but I almost never need it. Same with phillips screwdriver. It's more of a want than need. The blade I carry has to be big enough to open packages. I started carrying a Tinker due to it having full size drivers, a nice size blade, and that awesome Vic awl, but I'd be shocked if it sees much use.

Offline GForGeep

I'm kinda new to the multitool world and my EDC is a bit on the heavy side (I'd rather have it an not need it than need it and not have it). But I feel the only multi-tool that I would carry if I had to choose one would be my Leatherman Surge. My EDC is the Charge TTI because it's almost perfect for me,  but it doesn't have the awl and the scissors are smaller. I don't know if I'll ever use the awl, but I sure as heck would rather have it just in case. I know the Surge is a bit bigger than most MTs but if I'm only carrying one item, I won't mind it's size.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Up until a week or two ago I would have said SAK Tinker, but since I got my LM Wave a couple of weeks ago I have been totally content EDCing it on its own. My vote goes to the Wave wholeheartedly!

us Offline nelg

• Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar ??
Leatherman Skeletool.

ca Offline jzmtl

LM charge tti.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:08:52 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline mashguy4077

My choice would definately be the Victorinox Swisstool. :multi:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Up until a week or two ago I would have said SAK Tinker, but since I got my LM Wave a couple of weeks ago I have been totally content EDCing it on its own. My vote goes to the Wave wholeheartedly!

I have been hammering on my Charge ALX (essentially the same as a Wave) for over 2 years.  It is tough and extremely reliable.   This is the sweet spot in the Leatherman tool line up (IMO)

ca Offline gcconspiracy

I have been hammering on my Charge ALX (essentially the same as a Wave) for over 2 years.  It is tough and extremely reliable.   This is the sweet spot in the Leatherman tool line up (IMO)

Good to hear! I look forward to my Wave proving itself just as reliable with time and use!

us Offline reswiss

• Cutting SAK parts with a laser seems... right.
For life, it'd be the Vic Voyager Lite. Built-in flashlight, clock w/alarm, and a pair of scissors - it's the only EDC I've seen that's a true all-in-one solution.

Offline HighlandPark

most of the days i carry my farmer, but its been scibeerfied (equipped with a pocket clip) and i am not allowed to name this one.  :rant:

my only other go-to knife is a spirit x and i love that one.
i work in an office environment but either i have a polo shirt covering it or more formally i wear a suit and the jacket covering it well. i dont like to show off, i just love having it within reach when needed (or playing with it watching a movie at home. thats the only time my wife is not amused i like saks so much ... :whistle:)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
... playing with it watching a movie at home...

I do that too. Not just movies either, but any time we're watching TV, it's just snap-snap-snap-snap...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Tabasco

Hands down= Vic Spirit , any itineration. I've owned SOG, Gerber, Leatherman(Wave, Charge, Pulse, Surge, Mini) Bear and Spyderco. It is the Spirit for me.

:climber:
Yeah, you right...

Offline GForGeep

I have to change my initial answer of my Surge and say my Charge TTI is the one EDC tool I would have on me if I could only have one.  I tried using only my Surge this weekend and my hands hurt from using it as my main blade. Dang sharp edges. The Charge is more comfortable and I have no need for an awl (I can find a nail if I need to put a hole into something).  The size is more to my liking as well and without a dedicated blade, the OHO knife on the Charge makes it "Winning" for me.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
The BossLady has been away to watch the Rolex 3Day event down in Kentucky:

So I was home alone, handling the farm. :ahhh :ahhh

In those times when a LOT needed to get done in a little time, it was always the Charge ALX that I'd grab for EDC, to cover those, "now how did THAT happen?" moments. 

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
A while back I would have said a Full size Swisstool but now I'd go with either the Std Spirit or LM Wave but ultimately the Spirit would come out top.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Out of the tools I own right now I would have to say the leatherman Wave.

Oh blades, diamond file,scissors,drivers,saw, I wish it had a good awl and better blade steel but out of what I got it would be the one I would take.

If I could chose two it would be my spirit s and a micra but I had to pick one and the wave almost does it all :)
Defend the Hive!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD