Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Vulcan

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
SOG Vulcan
on: February 06, 2008, 06:41:09 AM
Thought I'd copy my review of the knife I made on Bladeforums over here just because:

Probably the best factory edge I've ever gotten. It shaves my arm cleanly right out of the box. Not bad. I find it pretty comfortable to hold. I think the Trident folder is a tad more ergonomic, but not by much. It really does fit my hand pretty darn nice. I find the bottom and top of the handle to be a bit sharp edged for my liking. For the money I would have liked a smoother handle, but about 5 minutes with my Leatherman's diamond file fixed that little problem. I honestly don't find it very heavy like some people say. It's got some heft, but it's plenty light enough for EDC.

I'm still getting used to using the Arc-Lock, but so far I'm liking it. I find the spring tension pretty tight on the release, making it a bit tough to pull the lever back, but it seems to be loosening up a tad. Very smooth and solid. I suppose it's to prevent a problem I've heard of the blade not staying closed and opening too easily. I like. I'll also say that I don't have the problem with the tip being to close to the edge of the guard when folded. I mean it's close-ish, but I can't touch the tip no matter how hard I try. I could just do it with my pinky when I was trying to get at it. There's no way I could ever poke myself with it by accident. Either mine has the flaw corrected, or some people just have girly-ass fingers. Like every SOG I've ever gotten there was a bit if side to side play, but a few seconds dialing in the pivot got it tightened up yet still plenty free and smooth.

Like some people have reported it does have noticeable up/down play but it locks totally solid and it's nothing I'm worried about. Just seems to be the nature of the lock design.

Only faults I see are that the springs in the lock release make noise at one point in the travel. Theres a bit of a click towards the rear most point of the travel. It sounds like the spring moves a tiny bit in whatever groove or notch holds it in place when the tension starts to max out. Any one else's do this? Right now I'm not really worried about it, just a minor little thing so long as the spring never decides to come loose in there. The only other thing is the flipper is pretty much useless. I like the idea, but I can't open the blade effectively with it at all. There's just too much spring tension in the lock to be able to overcome with the flipper. At this point all the flipper does is sometimes interfere with closing. I mean using it in conjunction with a little wrist flip allows the blade to open without as hard of a wrist flick, but not enough to be worth it interfering with closing. It also will catch my finger when I use the thumbstud to open the blade interfering with opening too. Honestly I think it'll just take some practice on my part to work around it and use the flipper correctly so it's not entirely a negative, but I could definitely live without it.

All in all, I really like the knife. I bought it to be my new EDC. I decided I wanted something a bit more....solid than my SAT knives. The Arc-Lock, thick ass VG-10, and *gasp* actually having steel liners certainly seem capable of providing that. I also feel a bit more comfortable not having to worry about the SAT mechanism. Even though I know full well how durable the SAT is, it's just one less complication to worry about.  :cheers: for the Vulcan.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Re: SOG Vulcan
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:55 AM
On a side note, after some breaking in the finger flipper works much better now. It opens impressively smooth now.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:41:24 AM
My flipper finger has always opened smoothly.

PICTURES MAN!

I don't want to read no stinkin' words.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:57:14 AM
I think it had something to do with it sitting on the front porch in the cold and snow all day while I was at work shrinking the mechanism together a bit. As for pics I don't have a camera here, but I'll try and remember to steal my G/F's cam in a couple days.

And no, I didn't miss the joke, I was just trying to be mature  :pok:

us Offline Splat

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:38:23 PM
I like the look of the Vulcan except that tail-fin where is "SOG" printed. It looks like it would annoy me, but I haven't handled one yet. As for the flipper, I like mine on my CRKT M2114, but mine looks slightly bigger. You might even start utilizing it to aid in closing the blade. How does that indent/cutaway on the handles right under the choil feel..wierd?
Splat

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:01:13 PM
It's very comfy. Theres no way to use the flipper to help close the blade, but it doesn't interfere any more now that I'm used to it. I'm beginning to like it now that it's loosened up a bit. That metal part at the back is of no relevance. I think it add a unique touch to the knife and you don't even feel it. At least with my hand it kind wraps around my pinky and helps to keep your hand from slipping, but you really don't even feel it at all. If you mean the finger groove right at the thumbstud, it feels just fine. Some people don't like it, but again my finger rests in there very nicely and helps me get a good grip on the knife. Every SOG I've handled fits me perfectly. I think somebody there has the exact same size hands as me lol. The knife feels extremely secure in my hand.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 12:43:10 AM
Nice review bullfrog! Below is a photo I found at the SOG website.

Question: is that pocket clip reversable?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:48:19 AM
Yes it is. And since we are talking about pocket clips, I should point out that the clip is the same design as most SOG folders in that it inserts into the butt of the knife for a deep carry which I like, but the nature of the design means that it's only secured by a single screw allowing the clip to rotate a bit and feel loose and flimsy. It's just something I've gotten used to in SOG knives so it doesn't bother me one bit. It's pretty thick so I'm not worried about it breaking, unlike the clip on the Flash II which blows, but it 'feels' flimsy since it moves around a bit.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:04:27 AM by thebullfrog »

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 04:51:38 AM
I really liked the look and ergonomics of this knife but the price was just too high for what you get. ~100$ for VG-10 and FRN just isn't in line with a lot of the other companies, I plan on getting one but only after the price comes down or it hits the second hand market.

Good review though. :)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:01 AM
While I don't entirely disagree with that, and despite what I'm about to say I still think it may be a tad over priced. I''d say about $80 would make more sense. But on to my point: I've looked at other knives with VG-10 or different scale material that cost less, but they never really do it for me. I think the combination of THICK VG-10, decent Zytel (perhaps not the "best" material, but perfectly fine IMO) etc. in conjunction with a wicked strong lock, almost stupidly smooth opening, and awesome ergonomics, there really isn't much "direct" competition so to speak. I think it really is better than other knives using the same materials. It's one of those "more than the sum of it's parts" type deals. Again, I think in and of it's self it should be closer to the $80 mark (I paid about $90 BTW) but it is hard to find a better overall package using similar materials and features in any knife in a lower price point.

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 02:43:39 PM
I closed the tab I was replying in  :oops: ... I'll make this reply brief now...
The Ritter RSK Mk1 has G10 handles and a shorter, thinner blade http://tinyurl.com/ywyrsz  but goes for $115. Without handling either I would go with the Vulcan for the stouter blade. I don't like the feel of Zytel though, I agree that for the money it's a good deal if you can find one <$100.
Splat

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 04:16:46 PM
Don't you hate it when you do that? Just makes you wanna say "screw the internet" lol.
I'm not really opposed to decent Zytel, as I do find it to be rather durable and can take some good abuse, not to mention it does afford decent grip. Not stellar, but good enough and certainly better that having aluminum or wooden scales. While I agree that it doesn't feel all to great and for comfort there are most certainly better choices, it's never really bothered me in any of my Zytel knives either. I've abused the Hell out of my Zytel Flash II and short of intentionally trying to break it, I can't even make a mark in the Zytel. I threw the Flash about 15 feet in the air, bouncing it off of an "I" beam then let it land on the concrete floor. It didn't even leave a mark. That's the hardest I ever tried, but it was enough to make me confident that it can hold up to about anything that may accidentally happen to it. It may not feel too great, but I'm willing to give up a bit for the knowledge that if need be my knife can take a pounding. Something important in an EDC where you don't know what you and it may wind up having to endure.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 04:56:26 PM
Oh yeah, that Ritter says it has S30V not VG-10 BTW for the sake of honest comparison. Though from what I've heard about S30V's tendency to chip (don't know first hand, never had an S30 blade yet) I'm not so sure I'd prefer that. I do gotta say that even though it won't be for a while since I need to actually save some money instead of buying toys for once, my next purchase will likely be a BM Griptillian. Though not that Ritter version. Damn that's an expensive Griptillian.

us Offline Splat

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 11:12:53 PM
Both S30V and VG10 are damn good steels and I'd take a knife made from either. I've heard that claim about chipping with the VG10, too.  VG10 is supposedly easier to sharpen, while S30V holds an edge better. Now, is that a direct comparison with all things being equal?... I doubt it. Heat treatment plays a critical role. I have a Benchmade Activator 210 coming with S30V steel. I haven't received it yet. I doubt I could tell the difference between an S30V or a VG10 blade, and I doubt many others could, too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:39:17 AM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 12:52:41 AM
Here's the wikis for S30V and VG10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPM_S30V_steel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VG-10

I think the steels you're thinking of are the Sandvik (13C26) steels seen on Kershaw folders and some others.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:16:05 AM
Hint, never use Wikipedia for anything! You can go on and edit whatever you want! In college they used to say if you use wikipedia then its not even like writing a paper!
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:43 AM
It works in this case because I have already verified the information I wanted to present was correct through my own research.

:P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Leatherman_Surge.jpg

;)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 05:40:23 AM
Wkipedia has it's uses as a quick reference. I usually use it just to help guide me in the right direction to do further research on my own. I agree, I doubt most people could find much difference between S30 and VG-10, and like I said I've never had anything S30V so I have no first hand experience. Oh and disregard my comment about the pocket clip. I snagged it on a matress today and it snapped clean off. SOG REALLY needs to work on their pocket clips. Although I like it better without the clip so whatever, I'll just toss it in a sheath since I hate diggin in my pockets for it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%