Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tomcat 3.0 (SOG)

Viper · 12 · 4257

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Tomcat 3.0 (SOG)
on: January 02, 2008, 07:12:00 AM
   Allright, the SOG knives I got for Christmas were excellent (My review of them is around here somewhere) but my itch still wasn't scratched. I decided that if I didn't buy a Tomcat now, I wouldn't get another chance to for at least another year. I finally got one on eBay for a bargain at a tad less than 110 USD after shipping costs (it retails for 180-200). It came in the other day and I was so excited that I could barely speak! It came with a nice sheath that had a plastic, but sturdy, pocket clip. The sheath was nylon with velcro closure and it felt pretty tough.

The blade is made out of high-quality VG-10 steel, unlike the current majority of SOG knives. SOG knives have AUS-8 steel, with the exception of a few knives made to be a bit more "elite" than the others (Team Leader, etc.). But now, apparently, SOG is converting most all of their knives to VG-10, but they don't want to raise the prices, so it's taking a while. The blade is thick, just like I like them, but it still tapers down to the good old SOG-sharp edge. Because of the thick back, whittling can easily be done without hurting your thumb, unlike many other knives. It also has some ridges to give your thumb a better grip.

The blade is a clip-point, but it is very robust, so although it won't be as strong as a similarly-made drop point or sheepsfoot blade, I think it will be better than most clip-points, if not all. Although it is very robust, just like the back of the blade it has a needle tip. In fact, I picked a splinter with it just this evening. starting near the hilt, the edge appears to curve back a few millimeters, then goes back out a little past the middle of the blade. I'm not sure what this is for, but it doesn't seem to affect the knife's performance.

The handle, unlike previous Tomcat models, comforms to the shape of your hand. The rubber-like surface is softer than I thought, and provides excellent grip. I haven't used it with wet hands, but I'm sure it would be fine. Now, something that may be a big downer is the lack of a pocket clip. The reason for this, I believe, is to make it more comfortable to use. It actually is better for me, because I usually have a plethora of things in my pockets, so I use pouches, but it may break the deal for a lot of people.

It is a little bigger than I planned, because I was used to the AirSOG (review of that coming soon) but it is very comfortable in the hand, and it isn't too big once you're used to it, or if you are used to big knives (maybe like the Leathermans).

Pictures will, of course, come later. I have several taken, but none have been uploaded yet. I've been pretty busy, but I should be able to get them this weekend.
   I also have not used it much yet, so I will post a "long term" review a a couple of months.

I initially planned to write a review for the AirSOG as well, but this review has taken more time than I expected, so I'll post the AirSOG's review tonight.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Tomcat 3.0 (SOG)
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:58:00 AM
Thanks for the review Viper! I snatched this photo from the SOG site so knife newbies like myself would have a visual reference.

The SOG site says something about an "Arc-Lock" ? How exactly does that work?

* tomcat 3.0.jpg (Filesize: 28.9 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:12:14 AM
It looks to be sort of like the lock on a lot of Benchmade knives, if any of you have those.

The Arc-Lock is a very simple, yet sturdy lock that is appearing on many SOGs these days. It locks strong, and is fairly easy to close. It also is out of the way of the hand, so it makes the knife very comfortable.

Plus, it is exactly the same on both sides, so it is completely ambidextrious!

Pros:
Comfortable handle
Good locking system
Robust blade
Excellent steel and edge
Good grip
Good looking!  8)

Cons:
No pocket clip could rise a problem for many people
Price may be a bit steep for some people
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:27:24 AM
So its like the Axis lock? I am very fond of the lock it works very well!
B

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:40:01 AM
Is that what Benchmade calls their lock?
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:42:29 AM
The sliding bolt lock from Benchmade is indeed called the Axis lock.

It's a holdover from abotu 5 years ago when standard locks weren't good enough and all the manufacturers had to have their own patented locking mechanism with a cutesy poo name.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:13:47 AM
I believe that the Arc Lock is almost like the axis lock.  I dont believe that the arc lock functions in the same way though.  It locks the blade open of course but I dont think that it keeps the blade retained in the closed position like the benchmade axis lock.  The arc lock is incredibly strong like the axis lock but it just does not operate "exactly" the same.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 03:40:33 AM
Not meaning to go even further off topic here, but somebody here ought to do a comparison post about all the common lock mechanisms. (with lots of pictures!)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Splat

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 11:35:05 PM
Very beautiful knife!  :o :)  BTW, I read about the Arc-lock on SOG's site and it stated this, "The Arc-Lock is self-adjusting over time and can be easily cleaned for long term optimal performance."  What do they mean by self-adjusting?
Splat

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 06:35:00 AM
I have no idea about the self-adjusting thing, but they definately would be easy to clean!
[

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:17:46 AM
It means that as the metal of the lock bar and the knife ever so slightly wear down over time, the springs in the lock mechanism will just push the bar further in to keep the blade locked just as firmly as new.
And yes, the function is very similar to Benchmade's Axis Lock, only the Axis slides back and forth so to speak, where as the Arc Lock "swings" from a hinge in an Arc shape hence the name.
In fact I have a Vulcan on order right now and can't wait.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:06:45 PM
Oh!

Well, if it works, it's pretty cool!

By the way, it hasn't had too much use lately (school, school, school), but it hasn't failed a single job it has been given. It push-cuts through cardboard like a hot steak knife through butter.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD