Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any "how to's" for 58mm mods?

us Offline clickstop

Any "how to's" for 58mm mods?
on: April 21, 2012, 04:32:43 PM
I just took apart an old 58mm Rogue for fun, and now I'm having a lot of trouble reassembling because of those fiddly springs  :facepalm: Anyone have any tips? I tried searching the forums, but I can't seem to find any tutorials on them :-[

us Offline Corso

Re: Any "how to's" for 58mm mods?
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:39:27 AM
I don't know if this will help or not as I just started modding SAKs in the last month or so, but I found that some tools go together easier if you have them in the folded-out position when assembling. 

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:32:29 PM
I hesitate to tell you this but I hate 58mm with a passion. When I was doing my Ramblers I had so much headache keeping everything in place while I built up the layers that I finally built a little jig to hold everything where it needed to stay while I added more parts. It's the only way with a Rambler but Classics seem to be more manageable with only a single layer. There's nothing more smooth and snappy than a titanium Rambler with tools riding bronze washers but getting there is such a pain that I priced the pocket clip ones at $225 thinking it would put folks off of them and I could work on something else but I still got 9 orders for them. 

Good luck!
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:46 PM
84 mm is the smallest I work with and I find those small for my hands.  I didn't realize 58s were so much more hassle to work with... I now have zero interest in playing with those now. :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:21:16 PM
Keep this decision  :ahhh

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:23:01 PM
Oh my and most of the springs look similar... that must get confusing.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline clickstop

Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:42 AM
Thanks for the helpful (somewhat intimidating  :P) replies guys! I'm waiting on some pins I ordered to arrive, and that's given me some time to make things just a tiny bit easier. I'm planning on making a jig for it from some spare wood (pics coming soon), so hopefully that helps. I'd love to see that jig Bushidomusquito :)

By the way correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the springs are interchangeable with any of the tools, seems like the only different one is the one with the lanyard hole.

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:16:41 AM
Bingo :cheers:

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:32:45 AM
Thanks for the helpful (somewhat intimidating  :P) replies guys! I'm waiting on some pins I ordered to arrive, and that's given me some time to make things just a tiny bit easier. I'm planning on making a jig for it from some spare wood (pics coming soon), so hopefully that helps. I'd love to see that jig Bushidomusquito :)

By the way correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the springs are interchangeable with any of the tools, seems like the only different one is the one with the lanyard hole.

I'm always happy to pass on what I've learned but some things I keep secret when it increases production and took forever to work out. And if there's one edge I need on the rest of you guys it's increased production.  :rofl:

us Offline clickstop

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:44:01 AM

I'm always happy to pass on what I've learned but some things I keep secret when it increases production and took forever to work out. And if there's one edge I need on the rest of you guys it's increased production.  :rofl:

Haha that's fine then  :D Although if you could tell me one thing, where in the world can you get Alox scales without having to buy a whole sak? I'd really love to get my hands on some orange or blue alox scales  :drool:

us Offline clickstop

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:25:26 AM
Several, and I mean several cuts later, I finally did it!!  :D

Taken from a used Minichamp, without the pen, ruler, or cuticle pusher. It took a while to figure out how to secure those backsprings, but I figured out how to do it without a jig. As soon as I can disassemble the Alox Classic I bought and get some brass pins, I'll finish it up  :ahhh I'll try to make a tutorial with pictures, if anyone would like one!

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 02:58:26 AM

Haha that's fine then  :D Although if you could tell me one thing, where in the world can you get Alox scales without having to buy a whole sak? I'd really love to get my hands on some orange or blue alox scales  :drool:

There are 2 ways, either you have to be Swiss Bianco or you can buy Alox SAKs, take them apart and make scales from titanium or carbon fiber until you have so many extra Alox scales that you just don't care anymore and you send most of them off to Syph007 for a hard anodize run like I did. We get all our Alox scales from brand new disassembled knives. I suspect that we'll have so many once we get going with the Ti93 and TiG10 series that we'll sell them and the liners to modders but maybe we'll just keep them back at the lair to change out on our own EDC knives when they get damaged like Batman has extra Batsuits. Ablative Armor Alox or something like that.

Also, the 58 springs are all the same except the keyring one but you have to remember to get that keyring one back in exactly the right spot. I have a titanium Rambler that I peened together with the keyring spring switched with the one next to it and now the cap lifter driver won't open all the way with the split ring on it. I carry it in my pocket but of all the SAKs the 58s are the most useless without a keyring.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 04:31:56 AM

There are 2 ways, either you have to be Swiss Bianco or you can buy Alox SAKs, take them apart and make scales from titanium or carbon fiber until you have so many extra Alox scales that you just don't care anymore and you send most of them off to Syph007 for a hard anodize run like I did. We get all our Alox scales from brand new disassembled knives. I suspect that we'll have so many once we get going with the Ti93 and TiG10 series that we'll sell them and the liners to modders but maybe we'll just keep them back at the lair to change out on our own EDC knives when they get damaged like Batman has extra Batsuits. Ablative Armor Alox or something like that.

Also, the 58 springs are all the same except the keyring one but you have to remember to get that keyring one back in exactly the right spot. I have a titanium Rambler that I peened together with the keyring spring switched with the one next to it and now the cap lifter driver won't open all the way with the split ring on it. I carry it in my pocket but of all the SAKs the 58s are the most useless without a keyring.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but what do you mean by making Alox scales? Can you get them manufactured somewhere?  :o Sorry, I don't really know much about this stuff yet  :think:

On the keyring issue, I had the same issue with a minichamp I bought. The keyring would always get the bottle opener stuck. I never use the keyring, but it did get annoying. If you look at the pictures I think I actually lined the keyring with scissors, so everything works smoothly  :D

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:54 AM
Well, I don't mean make 'Alox' scales. I'm talking about making upgrade scales for 93 and 58mm Victorinox knives from other materials like titanium and brass like these,

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31404.msg537184.html#msg537184

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31539.0.html

and once you do a few rescales you'll have some Alox scales laying around. In fact, if you get into the modding enough you'll have more extra parts than you know what to do with.

Nobody could make Alox scales for cheaper than Vic since they're all set up for it and you'd be counterfeiting anyway if you made them from aluminum.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:03 PM
Wow those look beautiful  :drool: seeing as I don't have access to machine tools though, I guess I'll stick to rescaling  :D

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:35 AM
I do all my knives with a drill press, a $90 Ryobi belt sander and 2 Dremels. It doesn't take much and the mod squad is here to help if you decide to get started. Check out the 'made by Ong' thread. He makes the most awesome scales from mammoth ivory and I think he just uses a razor blade, a sharpened paper clip and the SAK he's rescaling.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 01:58:04 AM
I do all my knives with a drill press, a $90 Ryobi belt sander and 2 Dremels. It doesn't take much and the mod squad is here to help if you decide to get started. Check out the 'made by Ong' thread. He makes the most awesome scales from mammoth ivory and I think he just uses a razor blade, a sharpened paper clip and the SAK he's rescaling.

Thanks, I've been creeping the forum for a while now and you guys have definitely helped me with a lot of my modding  :) I probably won't be doing it any time soon, but what starter material would you recommend for making new scales that's easy to work with? I was looking for something like this:

I wanna say it was Neil who did it, but I honestly can't remember. I think it was micarta?  :think:

Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 04:12:25 AM
Those are ReSwiss 58mm scales laser cut from plastic. It's a cool design and I've had to talk myself out of copying it in G10. Lasers are great to have but you can order a sheet of G10 and a jewelers saw and be making a set of G10 scales with nothing more than files and sandpaper.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 05:03:32 AM
Those are ReSwiss 58mm scales laser cut from plastic. It's a cool design and I've had to talk myself out of copying it in G10. Lasers are great to have but you can order a sheet of G10 and a jewelers saw and be making a set of G10 scales with nothing more than files and sandpaper.

Ooooh that's right! I remembered seeing it here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36126.msg581707.html#msg581707

That looks seriously cool though, looks like a G10 sheet is now on my wishlist  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%