Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Changes in Phillips screwdriver

edursr · 10 · 1414

br Offline edursr

Changes in Phillips screwdriver
on: May 04, 2012, 01:49:38 AM
I didn't know about that...  :ahhh

Seems to be worse... did anybody alredy tried?  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Changes in Phillips screwdriver
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:41 PM
 :ahhh When did that happen? Is it on all the models?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:43 PM
The shorter Phillips arrived in 2002 apparently. :D
http://victorinox.saam007.com/91mmtools.php#philscrewa
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:11:42 PM
Nice link Gareth. I see on the link that the 90 lock on the cap lifter was introduced in 1985. I have  a Recruit with a non locking cap lifter - is this the same with all Recruits or is my one pre 1985?
I've only recently come by it so I have no idea of the history of it. It does have the crossbow stamp on it.

Magentus
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:51:24 PM
Nice link Gareth. I see on the link that the 90 lock on the cap lifter was introduced in 1985. I have  a Recruit with a non locking cap lifter - is this the same with all Recruits or is my one pre 1985?
I've only recently come by it so I have no idea of the history of it. It does have the crossbow stamp on it.

Magentus

A 90 degree locking bottle opener on the 84mm line has only been around for a year or so, it seems.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:41 AM

Like Gareth said, around 2002. The new inline Phillips is shorter because it was designer to be paired either with the new, all plastic mag glass or the LED light a la the Spartan Lite. Also note that the new Phillips has a "locking nub" on it, much like the 91mm caplifter got around 1999, to help prevent it from closing during use. Not a true locking mechanism, but it does help.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:50:29 AM
I like the new short phillips since the old style is too long to be modded opposite the cap lifter driver in 93mm frames. They seem to work just fine in every phillips screw I've tried.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:35:28 AM

Like Gareth said, around 2002. The new inline Phillips is shorter because it was designer to be paired either with the new, all plastic mag glass or the LED light a la the Spartan Lite. Also note that the new Phillips has a "locking nub" on it, much like the 91mm caplifter got around 1999, to help prevent it from closing during use. Not a true locking mechanism, but it does help.

You mean as on the Wenger bottle opener/flat head screwdriver? That is a nice addition then. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 03:13:48 AM

You mean as on the Wenger bottle opener/flat head screwdriver? That is a nice addition then. :tu:
Not quite.  See the little 'nub' I've highlighted on the tang of the new Phillips?  Well that engages on the shaped backspring when the screwdriver is fully opened.  So not quite a full lock, but sure makes it harder to accidentally fold away when in use.

Not sure I've explained that very well, but if you have a standard 91mm SAK made any time recently then the cap lifter/large screwdriver will have the same system and you will be able to feel it give a very positive 'clunk' when fully opened and the resistance it gives when you go to close it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 03:23:56 AM
Thanks for the Info. I haven't noticed it before. :tu: I just checked. I have a few of the old ones. Like on the old Explorer. But all the newer ones have that tab.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%