Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The time(s) you saved the day with your Swiss Army Knife.

Smaug · 29 · 3780

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Tell your stories in this thread.

I'll start with my most recent one.

Two days ago, my wife got a new water bottle, with a fancy spring-loaded trigger mechanism for opening the mouthpiece. She put it aside and forgot about it.

The next morning, she washed it out and filled it up with water. But it had this irritating, super-tight and pretty thick shrink wrap advertising on it. She pulled it with all her might, and all it did was stretch a little. She was starting to curse a little. Next, she reached into the kitchen drawer and grabbed the utility shears. She was about to either stab herself with it or run a nice gouge down the side of her new bottle.

Right then, I walked in the kitchen. I had just filled my pockets for the day, so my trusty Minichamp was not even warmed up to body temperature yet. "Wait, wait, wait." said I. "Gimme that, ya savage." :D

Opened the main blade, snuck the tip inside the shrink wrap, and gently ran it along the bottle, with the slick spine against the bottle, and the cutting edge out.

It zipped right through that terrible nasty shrink wrap in a couple of seconds. I gave her a bit of a disappointed look and said: "Why don't you use your Tomo?" It was in the other room on her keys, and women (present company excepted) are NOT willing to go to the other room to get a tool. They use whatever is within easy reach.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:03:33 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: The time(s) you saved the day with my Swiss Army Knife.
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:20:31 AM
This next one is not necessarily saving the day, but more of pride in my SAK.

It was this morning. Just about time to leave to drop the child off at daycare and head to work, no time to eat. But I was hungry.

I grabbed a Clif Bar. (I love those things for breakfast!) If I tear where it says to tear, it rips clear down, all along the wrapper. Sub-optimal.

They're sealed kind of tight to just force them open at the top.

Do I did what any red-blooded SAK-a-holic would do. I busted out the scissors on my shiny new S557 and cleanly cut the top off. Now, I could advance the Clif bar little by little, nibbling as I go, without getting my fingers sticky.

My wife saw all this, and remakred: "Tsk. You just wanted to use your little scissors!" to which I replied: "It's just The Right Tool for the Job." :D

I bet I'm not the only one guilty of such foolishness.

:pok:
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:47 AM
I can say definitively that I have never saved the day with your Swiss Army knife.
Perhaps that would change if you sent me one of yours :D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:15 AM
I can say definitively that I have never saved the day with your Swiss Army knife.
Perhaps that would change if you sent me one of yours :D

Corrected, thanks. Now surely you have a story to share?  :pok:
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: The time(s) you saved the day with your Swiss Army Knife.
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:23:47 AM
Just got my first couple SAKs recently. No day-saving yet. I have Buck 55 knife stories. I have SOG Crosscut stories. Even with just a few months of ownership, I have a couple Leatherman Wave stories.

The Tinker is in my EDC, waiting for a chance to be super-useful.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:38:25 AM
Honestly, more times than I can remember.  From assembling electronics equipment to adjusting metal watch straps, to personal grooming, the SwissChamp is my #1 utility.  My wife is well familiar with my beautiful blue sapphire champ which I call "my toolbox".  My 14 year old niece also has taken a liking to it and when she's old enough, I may get her her own SAK.

That said, my Rambler is equally as useful and I never leave home without it (on my key ring).
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:44:28 AM
The hospital installed new hoods in the lab, which had integrated mounts for the computer monitor.  Problem was the mount was set way too high for one of our PA's.  I took out my Cybertimer 41 (cyber tool 41 with timekeeper scales) and disassembled the mount to move it to a much lower setting.  Hero in the lab 8)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:53:01 PM
Honestly, more times than I can remember.  From assembling electronics equipment to adjusting metal watch straps, to personal grooming, the SwissChamp is my #1 utility.

Surely you can remember ONE such occasion? ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:14 PM
Honestly, more times than I can remember.  From assembling electronics equipment to adjusting metal watch straps, to personal grooming, the SwissChamp is my #1 utility.

Surely you can remember ONE such occasion? ;)
I'll be happy to be more specific.  I used the pliers on my SwissChamp to loosen the coax cable from an old television the other day.  It would not budge by hand and I had no other pliers handy at the time.  ;)
SAW

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:08 PM
The wife, our two friends, their 3 year old in a car seat, dog in the back, luggage filling every square inch of space, all ready for the trip back into the city after a great weekend in the country. I start the car and go to put it into Drive, and WTF, can't get the shift lever to budge. I fiddle around a bit and the top of the shift lever lifts off. I examine it and look down the tube and realize that there is a plastic rod that was held in place by a little clip, that is now sitting at the bottom of the tube. I whip out the Vic Super Tinker from the center console and use the awl to lift out the plastic rod. I wedge the rod back onto its wonky clip, put the apparatus back and then use the phillips driver to tighten the set screw which holds the top of the shift lever in place. We are on our way in under five minutes. :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:57:25 PM
Today I was at my orthopedic surgeon's, getting an injection for my knee.  I was in the exam room waiting, and from the hall I hear, "I can't believe we don't have a Phillips around here!".  I poked my head out, called to the nurse, and tossed her my Tinker.  A few minutes later the doctor came in with an embarrassed look on his face, handed me the knife back, thanked me, and said, "I've got to get myself one of those."  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:05:19 PM
Today I was at my orthopedic surgeon's, getting an injection for my knee.  I was in the exam room waiting, and from the hall I hear, "I can't believe we don't have a Phillips around here!".  I poked my head out, called to the nurse, and tossed her my Tinker.  A few minutes later the doctor came in with an embarrassed look on his face, handed me the knife back, thanked me, and said, "I've got to get myself one of those."  :)

Probably has one on the knee arthroscopic surgical tray.   ;) :D

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:51 PM
I have been using my Vic Compact at work a lot lately.  Mostly the blade and pen in scales.   It is amazing how many guys come to work without a knife, and this is a manufacturing plant.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:40:18 PM
Probably has one on the knee arthroscopic surgical tray.   ;) :D

In my head, I'm hearing "better than he was before: better, stronger, faster..."

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:39 PM
Amici,
Here's a tale of when my sak didn't save the day, but actually saved me. When I was still in the Army, one morning as I rode "shotgun" in a 1/2 ton truck commonly referred to as a "deuce" the driver well, when out the night before and celebrated a little too much.

Well as we drove along as part of a convoy, he was travelling a tad faster than he should have especially in a deuce and lost control of the truck going around a turn. Well before you know it, the truck is on its side, with me at the bottom and this 200 + trooper on top of me along with a two boxes of MRE's that shouldn’t had been there in the first place. 

We were strapped in, and suddenly a plume of smoke starts coming from the engine followed by a flames that seem to be building in size.  Since I was the only one who still had his wits as well as my reflexes, I was able to from my upper blouse pocket, my Swisschamp, where I was able to deploy the main blade, cut the safety belt straps from us both, and slice open the canvas top of the truck where as fate and luck would have it, other troopers were there and able to pull us out. Out of the troopers that reacted to the accident, not ONE of them had any knife or MT with them, since the CC at that time was ferverntly against any troop having what she called, "concealed weapons"... Yes these were the beginning of the P.C. Clinton years when the "gals" were suddenly put into combat support units,  so it didn't surprise me...

Shortly after the accident where I was commended by the TOP for quick thinking and improvising, I transferred out of the unit and into combat arms where I quickly found was a safer environment to be in.  Especially when it came to carrying the tools that you need to get the job done.

Since that day 17 years ago, I have never let a day go by when I didn't carry on my persons, a SAK, MT, or some sort of folder. I still have that Swisschamp and rotate it in my EDC to this day.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 11:40:34 PM
I used to save the day quite often with my SAK until all my buddies started carrying them. Mostly just cutting task's or people in need of scissors. The one that sticks out in my memory the most is the time I was at a "get together" and a very beautiful young lady was distressed as she could not open her bottle of Wine.  ;) Obviously she needed a cork screw and I was praying I was not carrying a Alox of some sort. I reached in my pocket and was relieved to find my Camper ready for action. I opened her Wine for her and ended up talking to her off and on throughout the night. I actually ended up getting her phone number so all in all it was a good night.

THANK YOU VICTORINOX!!!!!!!!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 03:54:38 AM
Love the story Cap. :rofl:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 04:01:21 AM
Great story, Serge.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 10:58:00 AM
sergemaster, much respect :salute:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 08:01:49 PM
Mostly , just pulling out splinters , and opening wine bottles . Cut lots of hot dog and marshmellow sticks .

Chris

Offline k12cop

Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 09:08:16 PM
My nine year old got the cuff of his pants stuck around the pedal and wound tight...he wiped out...couldn't get pants unsound and he was dreaming out. Out came pioneer and cut away cuff of pants...now they're shorts, but he's okay.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:04 PM
I'd struggle to remember all the times my SAKs have saved the day,at home or at work.In fact mine see so much action at work,I cnt nderstand why more folks havnt bought themselves on!Mind you I have gifted a few....

The story that sticks in my mind though isnt about me,but about JSH.He currently works in our Loss Prevention Dept.We'd been talking about whittling,and he said he fancied having a go.I lent him a couple of Rough Riders to have a play with(hes since bought one of his own),but I gifted him a Spartan I had kicking around.

Because I'm so dependnt on Philips drivers,Spartans arnt a lot of use to me,so it was no big sacrifice to me,but SJH was blown away by it,just loved the weight and feel(as you do).Hes ended up taking some ribbing and questioning from the other LP guys,and his G/F(she ended up with a Alox Companion,yes another convert!From being freeked out,she now EDCs the Companion),But the ribbing ended after the SAK came to the rescue.

They were doing routine checks of fire alarms.If one triggers we have to evacuate the building,all 7 floors of it.They reckon we loose a grand a minute if we evac,so theres lotsa money on the line.Anyway one of the alarms triggered.Before the circut could complete,SJH whipped out his SAK,got the toothpick and inserted it into the alarm,saving the day!

Job done as they say
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17:37 PM
a very beautiful young lady was distressed as she could not open her bottle of Wine.  ;)

I've had one kind of like that.

I was at a ren faire, and a young lady was having her friend tighten a corset over her top, and the other young lady had tightened the bottom and middle of the lacing, but not the top and couldn't get it comfortable. I asked if I could help, and the HOOK in the Climber I was carrying came to the rescue.

Parcel hook? Nope. Bootlace hook? Maybe. Corset hook and the gratitude of pretty girls? Yes.

Usually though, it just opens packages and cuts cords and tightens screws.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 04:25:30 AM
I used my mini champ to plunk my eyebrows as I awaited someone I was meeting tonight. :)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 06:07:20 AM
I used my mini champ to plunk my eyebrows as I awaited someone I was meeting tonight. :)

I'm surprised to hear the tweezers are strong enough for that. It doesn't seem like they would be...  I'll have to let my wife know about that.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:28 AM
a very beautiful young lady was distressed as she could not open her bottle of Wine.  ;)

I've had one kind of like that.

I was at a ren faire, and a young lady was having her friend tighten a corset over her top, and the other young lady had tightened the bottom and middle of the lacing, but not the top and couldn't get it comfortable. I asked if I could help, and the HOOK in the Climber I was carrying came to the rescue.

Parcel hook? Nope. Bootlace hook? Maybe. Corset hook and the gratitude of pretty girls? Yes.

Usually though, it just opens packages and cuts cords and tightens screws.

I like yours better.  :D
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline LooseNut

Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 01:48:38 PM
Amici,
Here's a tale of when my sak didn't save the day, but actually saved me. When I was still in the Army, one morning as I rode "shotgun" in a 1/2 ton truck commonly referred to as a "deuce" the driver well, when out the night before and celebrated a little too much.

Well as we drove along as part of a convoy, he was travelling a tad faster than he should have especially in a deuce and lost control of the truck going around a turn. Well before you know it, the truck is on its side, with me at the bottom and this 200 + trooper on top of me along with a two boxes of MRE's that shouldn’t had been there in the first place. 

We were strapped in, and suddenly a plume of smoke starts coming from the engine followed by a flames that seem to be building in size.  Since I was the only one who still had his wits as well as my reflexes, I was able to from my upper blouse pocket, my Swisschamp, where I was able to deploy the main blade, cut the safety belt straps from us both, and slice open the canvas top of the truck where as fate and luck would have it, other troopers were there and able to pull us out. Out of the troopers that reacted to the accident, not ONE of them had any knife or MT with them, since the CC at that time was ferverntly against any troop having what she called, "concealed weapons"... Yes these were the beginning of the P.C. Clinton years when the "gals" were suddenly put into combat support units,  so it didn't surprise me...

Shortly after the accident where I was commended by the TOP for quick thinking and improvising, I transferred out of the unit and into combat arms where I quickly found was a safer environment to be in.  Especially when it came to carrying the tools that you need to get the job done.

Since that day 17 years ago, I have never let a day go by when I didn't carry on my persons, a SAK, MT, or some sort of folder. I still have that Swisschamp and rotate it in my EDC to this day.

Cheers,
Serge

Thats a great story serge, shows the importance of being self sufficient in a tight spot!
Fatherly advice;
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night....

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 03:19:17 PM
i have one but it is rather gory that has a  Super Timekeeper, a 22 revolver, a cow and a baby holstien calf that was saved.

I do have tons where my Sak or leatherman help me limp a tractor, truck or jeep back the barn or at work where i have fixed junk to save time and money to finish a job.
Nate

SEND IT!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 08:44:52 PM
This is an old one but I thought it would fit in here. Its also on Victorinoxs true stories website

The below events are true and took place taday ( 09/05/2009 ) at 11.00hrs bst .

My Daughters have an allotment in our village and my youngest and I cycled over to them to do some digging etc. On arrival I noticed a baby rabbit with its head stuck fast through the wire mesh fence .He was on the inside of the allotment and trying to get out  :think:  I wonder how he got in there in the first place as the mesh fence is there to keep them out .Someone else was working in the allotment next to ours but thankfully he hadn't noticed it , otherwise I don't think he would have hesitated to kill it as they are such pests and do alot of damage to the crops .Now I know some members would have reached instantly for their .5 inch Winchester's and blew its head off  , possibly more then once to make sure .But as I wasn't EDCing my Glock 5000000 today this wasn't an option and I guess he was kind of cute just sitting there and I really couldn't stove his head in with a shovel infront of my daughter  :( just for the sake of a few Carrots he may eat . My Daughter hadn't noticed him either and I had to whisper to her about him so the other guy wouldn't hear and know what I had planned .This was turning into a covert rescue mission  :D
    Crouching down next to the little fella I slipped a finger between the wire and his neck and realised I could get the jaws of my multotool in there to cut the wire without hurting him . He didn't look to distressed and there wasn't any sign of injury but he was stuck fast .Carefully and very slowly I slid the plier jaws under the wire and snipped . At this point I will say they performed perfectly and the cut was made in one attempt with no binding or jamming . Once cut I carefully bent the ends round to avoid injury and then made a further cut the other side of is head . The little chap just sat there and let me cut him free with no struggling . My Daughter asked if he was dead because he wasn't moving but I could feel his warmth against my fingers and feel his hearbeat  ( which was going quite fast ) . Once the hole was big enough I gently pushed his head back through the hole . He sat and looked at me for a few seconds and then took off  :D
   Trouble is he's still inside the fence somewhere  ::) So I may have to check later to see if he's done it again .

The annoying thing is neither me or my Daughter had a camera phone with us  >:(

I thought I'd share this with you as it made me feel good and I know it made my Daughters day  :D

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD