Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gardening anyone? 18497

No Life Club Posts: 1,166 Be Prepared
Re: Gardening anyone?
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »
Cucumber's blooming...

cucumber by David Hopper, on Flickr
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,834
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2016, 07:42:50 PM »
Cool cucumber pic!

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,512
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
Looking good gents. :tu:

I'm not sure this counts as gardening, more a bit of light landscaping I'd guess, but this was last weeks project.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Hero Member Posts: 744
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »

Some tulips we planted last fall, which are now long gone.

We also planted this Allium last fall. I wasn't familiar with them and though, "no way they'll get to 3 feet tall." I was happy to be wrong! This pincushion is about 5 inches across.

May it be as the Pattern has chosen.
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:15 PM »
Great shot of that Allium mate. :tu:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »
The squash is blooming, and I know some folks fix the blossoms to eat, but we usually wait for the other parts to grow until ready to cook, lol.  :D

The zucchini is getting there...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:49:33 PM by Stormdrane »

« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2016, 01:43:01 AM »
Spent the afternoon rooting dandelions out of my lawns.  About two thirds of the way there I'd say.

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2016, 12:40:20 AM »
Cucumbers make an appearance. Future pickle, salad, or sandwich applications...

And a pic of Ma's lilies which recentlly started blooming.

Ma's lilies in bloom by David Hopper, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:14:38 AM by Stormdrane »

« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »
Some wild blackberries growing up through the hedges in the backyard.  :D

backyard wild blackberries by David Hopper, on Flickr
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »
Can't beat a good wild bramble (blackberry). Yum.

« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »
Squash.  :)

And some wildflowers coming up, from a freebie mix packet of seeds I'd sent off for(reddit:freebies).
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2016, 02:32:12 AM »
Sweet bell peppers

Mild jalapeños and tomatoes

Zucchini
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »
A bowling pin lookin cucumber...
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,678 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
Very nice pics and gardens, gents. :hatsoff:

Mine is the same as it was since this thread started. :D
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,834
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Great pics Stromdrane!! I'll being going over to help mom with her garden tomorrow. Since I moved to town last year my gardening efforts are helping mom with hers.    :)

Nik you have a great garden!

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,990 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »
I just heard that there is such thing as a plant that produces both tomatoes and potatoes!  It's called a Ketchup and Fries Plant, and I think I need a bunch of them!

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
Oh noes, the nasty little tomato hornworms have shown up for the patio plant buffet...  >:(

No Life Club Posts: 3,301 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2016, 02:37:26 AM »
I just heard that there is such thing as a plant that produces both tomatoes and potatoes!  It's called a Ketchup and Fries Plant, and I think I need a bunch of them!

Def

Potatoes and Tomatoes are both from the nightshade family.  People have been growing tomatoes with potato roots for decades as a novelty. 

"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2016, 04:25:50 AM »
Here's a wikipedia entry on the 'pomato'.  :)
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 67,906
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2016, 04:56:27 AM »
I love gardening :cheers: I have about a 50 by 50 or so veggie garden, 18 grapevines, 10 cherry trees, 4 pear trees, 12 apple trees, 8 peach trees, 8 blueberry bushes, 5 raspberry bushes, 2 thornless blackberry vines, a field of wild ones, some bush cherries and a strawberry pyramid :tu: 

Most of these are young and haven't really started producing yet :ahhh So here in a few years I should start seeing some results :cheers:

8 of my grapevines have quite a few grapes on them this year and hopefully by next year several more of them do :D Some of these have been produced from cuttings of my other grapevines as well

I started 6 of the peach trees from pits and 3 years later they finally bloomed or has it been 4 years :think: I am very happy with this because I actually have peaches from these blooms as I was worried they might just be flowering peach trees as they don't always grow true from seeds (hence the grafting process) I got 9 apple trees from sprouts from my father-in-law (I know you normally have to graft apple trees but for some reason all the sprouts from this variety all produce the same type of apple tree :cheers: so I get free apple trees from this variety :cheers:)

Also 7 of my cherry trees came from sprouts off my original sprout that I got from my mothers parents tree several years ago.  It is a sour cherry that I love for cherry pies so I hope that these trees will speed up so I can have lots of cherries :drool:

I got my raspberry bush start from my father-in-law as well. Most stuff like this can be pulled up in the winter and transplanted bareroot without disturbing the bush that is already there so I have gotten several sprouts from him as well.  I love gardening and orcharding because so much can be gotten on the cheap or free if you know how or learn how to do it :cheers:
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
A few of the first tomatoes picked to further ripen in the window.  I sliced up one of the jalapeños and added it to a cornbread salad that Ma made, and it was good, not too spicy.
Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 4,798
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2016, 03:14:07 AM »
This week I planted 2 more coconut palm trees and hopefully will have a row of 8 papaya trees along the fence line.  The hardest part was waiting for the rain to stop so I could get some work done.
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
Will be eating tomatoes in one form or another almost daily if the plants keep putting out, lol...  :D

patio garden tomatoes by David Hopper, on Flickr
Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,248 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »
Had to dig this thread up again as for the first time in over 5 years we have a garden! We've had our names down for an allotment since moving to Bath and one came up a couple of weeks back. It was pretty underwhelming: quite small, right next to the road and overshadowed by a line of huge fir trees. As excited as we were, we decided to use one of our 3 refusals and went back to waiting.

2 days ago we were offered another plot and went straight down to see it - It's amazing - twice the size of the last one, nice and open with fantastic views over Bath, and it has it's own shed! We're very excited about being able to start growing again. Here are some pics showing the work ahead of us over the winter:
Photo3119 by magpie2112, on FlickrPhoto3116 by magpie2112, on FlickrPhoto3111 by magpie2112, on Flickr

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2016, 12:46:29 AM »
Had to dig this thread up again as for the first time in over 5 years we have a garden! We've had our names down for an allotment since moving to Bath and one came up a couple of weeks back. It was pretty underwhelming: quite small, right next to the road and overshadowed by a line of huge fir trees. As excited as we were, we decided to use one of our 3 refusals and went back to waiting.

2 days ago we were offered another plot and went straight down to see it - It's amazing - twice the size of the last one, nice and open with fantastic views over Bath, and it has it's own shed! We're very excited about being able to start growing again. Here are some pics showing the work ahead of us over the winter:
Photo3119 by magpie2112, on FlickrPhoto3116 by magpie2112, on FlickrPhoto3111 by magpie2112, on Flickr

Looks like a really nice rosemary bush.  Also grape vines and brambles.  Lots of work to get it ready!  Perfect time to start your garden plan.   Is that a quince or a pear?  Is it on your allotment?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:49:31 AM by Yadda »

After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 67,906
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2016, 01:06:48 AM »
That is some really great news Mags :like: I really love gardening and have been thinking of what I am going to plant next Spring already :dd: :D Hope you are able to plant anything and everything you want and a get a great yield on everything :tu:
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,860
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2016, 01:24:27 AM »
Congrats  :cheers:

Looks like a nice plot   :tu:
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »
We have signed the lease so today is Day 1 at the allotment. We spent a couple of hours here checking the site out. There is a pear tree, an apple tree and what may be a plum tree. We have a mass of Rosemary, raspberries and rhubarb for starters. We also have a couple of excellent neighbours who we spent some time chatting with.

First job was to make a little area in front of the shed so we pulled up all the grass, laid down some membrane and covered it with bark chips. There was a nice bit of slate from an old cistern we laid in front of the shed and tomorrow I will work on shoring the shed up as it's a bit rickety.

The views here are amazing - it's a little bit of paradise in an already beautiful city so we feel very blessed to have it.
WP_20161105_039 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20161105_037 by magpie2112, on Flickr

« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »
 :cheers:

« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »
Spent Sunday morning at the 'lotty. A kind neighbour lent us his strimmer so I concentrated on levelling the grass so we could see what we were dealing with.

Next is to have a fire one evening this week to clear all the crappy timber that's been left to rot, and start laying some cardboard down for mulch.

WP_20161106_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50