Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trash-talking with my brother

Smaug · 11 · 1780

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
on: May 06, 2012, 04:27:56 AM
My brother and I were out loitering in the driveway one evening. I think he was having a smoke, and I got upwind of him and just enjoyed the nice evening.

He carries all kinds of crap on his person: two flashlights, keys, cell phone holster, and two knives.

He has a Mignight Manager on his keys that is really beat up, and a tactical folder clipped on his pocket for most knife duties. (Buck Redline, lately)

I started ribbing him: "Why don't you put that tactical folder away and carry your Swisschamp, and actually have some proper tools on you."

Him: "I can't get it out fast enough."

Me: "Bullsmurf. I bet I can get my Super Tinker out of my pocket and the blade open faster than you can with your tactical folder."

Him: "No way."

Me: "OK. Let's do it.... DRAW!"

I beat him by about a second. The Redline is tip-down, so that cost him some time, and it wouldn't let go of his pocket right away either.

Me: "See? I woulda put this shiv right in your gut, if we were fighting. :)  "

I didn't win him over, but he had to give some credit that SAKs aren't necessarily as slow as the tactical guys believe them to be.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline bushidomosquito

Re: Trash-talking with my brother
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:41:31 AM
I've been able to open a 91mm in about 2 seconds with one hand since I was 12. Get a little more weight behind them with titanium scales and some bronze washers on the pivots and it gets real easy. I have no use for a single blade folder other than to admire the materials and craftsmanship of the customs.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:12:36 PM
I've been able to open a 91mm in about 2 seconds with one hand since I was 12. Get a little more weight behind them with titanium scales and some bronze washers on the pivots and it gets real easy. I have no use for a single blade folder other than to admire the materials and craftsmanship of the customs.

How do you do that? Grab it by the nail nick and flick it with the weight of the knife? That seems like it'd REALLY break some nails when the handle snaps to the end of its travel.

Also, are you sure titanium scales weigh more than plastic or aluminum? Titanium is famous for being light for its strength.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:19:22 PM
Titanium (4.5 kg/dm³) is denser than aluminium (2.7 kg/dm³), so titanium liners of same width as the aluminium liners would be approx twice as heavy.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:31 PM
Ti is about twice as heavy as aluminum, but about 3x as strong as steel! :D  So it's used due its strength to weight ratio.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Donald

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:02:02 PM
Titanium (4.5 kg/dm³) is denser than aluminium (2.7 kg/dm³), so titanium liners of same width as the aluminium liners would be approx twice as heavy.

Now I know exactly why my CountyComm titanium pen is heavier than the aluminum version.  :D

Sounds like my keychain, with all of its attachments. ;)

us Offline Donald

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 06:36:27 PM

I remembered I had a picture from one of those what are you carrying now threads. Here I have a Leatherman Charge, extra flashlight, and mini-Rittergrip that I would not normally be carrying, but I had them for some project. The other items would often be in my pocket. No SwissChamp though. ;) That I have on my desk. Some of the items might be hard to discern, e.g. the Fisher Space pen is just barely peeking out from under the wallet. That is a one section or one use size package of dental floss packet in the middle of the wallet.

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 11:47:30 PM

How do you do that? Grab it by the nail nick and flick it with the weight of the knife? That seems like it'd REALLY break some nails when the handle snaps to the end of its travel.

Also, are you sure titanium scales weigh more than plastic or aluminum? Titanium is famous for being light for its strength.

Get a thumbnail in it and open it enough to pinch it hard between your thumb and 2 fingers and flick. Works better on 3 and 4 layer SAKs because they're wide enough to give your thumb knuckle enough leverage against the scale to get it open about an inch before you pinch it.

OK, I just tried it and it's more like 4 seconds because I'm out of practice but still a good one hand method.

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:57 AM
Ti is about twice as heavy as aluminum, but about 3x as strong as steel! :D  So it's used due its strength to weight ratio.
That's all a matter of which steel you compare it to and what you consider strength. You could find a steel alloy that matches it pretty close in all tests and many that outperform it but then raise the temp of the test environment to 1000F or put it under the ocean for 20 years or set the condition that this part has a fuel cost to move it's weight around over it's lifetime and titanium will blow any steel away.

That's the big appeal to me is that a knife made from a titanium frame and an H1 or Talonite blade could be burried in the ground of a salt marsh and dug up 1000 years later and used. It's forever metal to me and I like to think that some of the all Ti SAKs I've made will outlast me and maybe even human civilization. Most aluminum and nickle silver knifes have a 100-200 year life span before they erode and corrode away.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:46:49 AM
That's the big appeal to me is that a knife made from a titanium frame and an H1 or Talonite blade could be burried in the ground of a salt marsh and dug up 1000 years later and used. It's forever metal to me and I like to think that some of the all Ti SAKs I've made will outlast me and maybe even human civilization. Most aluminum and nickle silver knifes have a 100-200 year life span before they erode and corrode away.

Thats marketing gold! 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 02:59:37 AM
I don't care if my knife last 100-200 years since I'll 9 outta 10 times never see either of those numbers. :D

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD