Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox display cabinet. What could I expect to value this at, realistically?

Offline MicroMachete

• New User
I was hoping you guys might be able to help me to come up with a realistic price estimate as far as what I might be able to expect to sell this display cabinet for to another interested buyer/ collector?

This display case was used in a retail store to display Victorinox merchandise, so obviously that's why there's no key latch/ door on it anywhere as the display items were never meant to be accessed by customers/ employees at any point. You have to remove four 3/4" screws from the base piece in order to be able to slide out the two plastic/ plexiglass window panels and get at the MDF backboard display panel in the middle.

Link to additional pictures/ views:
http://imgur.com/a/L7NYc

During my search for similar items I came across this post here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=24514.0

It looks to me as though that particular revolving display cabinet/ case is almost identical to mine (minus the knives) but just an older version with a brown/ natural wood finish instead of being painted black.

As seen in the pictures; the outer front, back and side panels have sticker decals on them. On one side the sticker shows all of the various individual blades/ tools offered by Victorinox in their Swiss Army Knife line, etc. The other side has blank sticker boxes that were likely meant to be used to list the specific names and prices for each knife/ tool in the case that correspond with the inside sticker label ID's.

The inside display backboard has sticker labels on each side of it with the names/ product numbers of the different knives/ tools that must have been displayed inside the cabinet in the store at the time.

I guess magnets would be the best bet for hanging knives on the backboard panel if it was to be re-used as a knife display cabinet again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:06:05 AM by MicroMachete »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Similar things go on ebay now and again.... pretty random prices really.

Welcome to MTO :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
The first question is: "How much did YOU pay for it?"

and the second question is: "What makes you think it is worth more to someone else?"

;)

Welcome to MTO.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline MicroMachete

• New User
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I actually didn't buy this cabinet - it was given to me by a friend who saved it from the garbage from the store it was previously used in.

I always planned to use it as some kind of display for folders or related - but I never really amassed a collection large enough to where that would be feasible (I've always been into utility over presentation, anyway). I'm not a Vic collector to begin with (I only have one Swiss Army knife to my name at this point). Actually, I'm not even much of a knife collector anymore either - my passion is woodworking and hand tools. So I'm just trying to slim down on my belongings that don't get used/ see minimal use at the moment.

My hope was that there would be a fairly standard resale value range for display cabinets like this one, which I could then take the lower side of when posting it up on Craigslist or Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist type site) to make a quick sale.

Since it will be pick-up only, I'm worried that my chances of finding a Vic collector - or even just another interested general knife collector - will be quite slim. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:17:20 PM by MicroMachete »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Why not search ebay to find the going rate, then try Craigslist?

Or maybe put it up for trade in the sale fora here? Maybe someone's got some sweet old hand plane and chisels he'd swap you for?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Offline MicroMachete

• New User
Yeah, Ebay is what I always check first, but even the completed listings search came up fairly empty for anything similar to the cabinet I have. The closest thing I could find was the cabinet I linked to above from this forum. But obviously that one isn't really comparable to mine either as far as worth - since it was bought with the knives and has some vintage collectability to it as well.

All I was able to find on Ebay were these 4 listings ( all basically showing the random pricing that nuphoria alluded to, and again, all not really comparable to the one I have in that these ones all have latch key locks/ hinged doors on them etc):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item256f650e8d&item=160782683789&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=1erZ9wYWGZNYYLz1xlq9WAp3mYQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1c1e903bf4&item=120771853300&nma=true&pt=Collectible_Knives&rt=nc&si=1erZ9wYWGZNYYLz1xlq9WAp3mYQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3a7095634f&item=250996941647&nma=true&pt=Collectible_Knives&rt=nc&si=1erZ9wYWGZNYYLz1xlq9WAp3mYQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item256eccaa13&item=160772696595&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=1erZ9wYWGZNYYLz1xlq9WAp3mYQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I guess I could try just putting it up on Craigslist/ Kijiji at $25 or $30 and see what happens from there.  I wouldn't mind trying that swap idea - but I'm not really looking to add any tools to my collection at the moment (trying to reduce it, actually) plus I've never shipped anything out to anyone before (I know it's probably quite simple).

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

ca Offline kahyja

Are you in Canada...(cause you talked bout kijiji)

If so, any chance you are near Montreal??

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I paid $200 for a similar sized but different style Victorinox display a few years ago, but it also had several discontinued knives in it as well.  I'd say $25-30 is about what you could realistically expect out of it.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline trailmaster

I paid $200 for a similar sized but different style Victorinox display a few years ago, but it also had several discontinued knives in it as well.  I'd say $25-30 is about what you could realistically expect out of it.

Def

I guess full of discontinued knives is the key here. I remember that one and it was an amazing find.

Offline MicroMachete

• New User
Thanks again guys, I'll put it on CL/ Kijiji today. I'll put it at $30 to start.

Are you in Canada...(cause you talked bout kijiji)

If so, any chance you are near Montreal??

Unfortunately I'm not near Montreal (as far as pick-up feasibility is concerned). I live in Ontario, around 30KM North of Toronto.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
It'll cost less than $20 to ship domestically if you had a mind to.  If you do and it doesn't got to Montreal please let me know.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%