Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ceracoat.. or duracoat ? 5341

GSterling

ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »
i read quite a few threads that talk about having tools ceracoated..
but has or does anyone use duracoat ( used mostly for firearms ) to finish thier tools ?

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,034
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
I think the only reason most use cerakote is because of the color choices. Plus I think it's easier to apply.
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,693 SAK Surgeon
Re: ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:23 AM »
They aren't even close to the same class of product.  Duracoat is like a heavy paint that you can strip off with a solvent and rag.  Cerakote is ceramic based and a million times tougher.  There's plenty of scientific data, but that's the quick why, cerakote is alot better.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard
No Life Club Posts: 3,786 Hack Virtuoso
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »
They aren't even close to the same class of product.  Duracoat is like a heavy paint that you can strip off with a solvent and rag.  Cerakote is ceramic based and a million times tougher.  There's plenty of scientific data, but that's the quick why, cerakote is alot better.

Plus its fun to say :)

ceerrrraaaaaa-KOTE!

Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com
Hero Member Posts: 699
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
I'm currently running a Glock 23 with no lube and it's holding up great. Even high wear areas like the breech face, lockup area and inside the slide rail grooves is looking fine. There's a guy named Jeff Forbush over at EDCForums that has the best prices in the business for flawless work as opposed to the many guys that treat it like spray paint and don't go through the meticulous prep work that's needed to bond the Cerakote to the metal properly.

Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

GSterling

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
yeah, i know what duracoat it, i use it on guns that i do custom work on.
done right, its very tough and long lasting stuff, but yeah, not very many color choices..
 i have not ever used cerakoat, and just wondered why it was trending here with the tool.
i will definately take a look at jeff's work .. sounds like something i'd like to try .
thanks for the quick answers.  :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 1,276
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:17:16 AM »
Gawd every time I try to forget I'm waiting for Cerakoted items to return I come here and remember the excruciating wait! :rant: We need a thread for pics of everybody's Cerakoted items. 

Stay multi my friends
Jr. Member Posts: 54
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
Yeah, Beerplumber we need pictures of the Cerakoted items.

:tool:

Let's see 'em.
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »
Whatcha got coming to ya beerplumber??????

GSterling

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »
yeah i wee bit of waiting for your gear to come in the mail ( or back from coating, in this case )
can be intense, and a good or bad thing, depending on your level of patients  :bnghd:

:whistle: so start a "lets see those cerakoted multi's thread....
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:27:14 AM »
Gawd every time I try to forget I'm waiting for Cerakoted items to return I come here and remember the excruciating wait! :rant: We need a thread for pics of everybody's Cerakoted items. 

Stay multi my friends

We sent in a batch of stuff.

BP: A Kershaw folder (white)
A Skele (white)

Me: Spyderco Rescue (Breeden) (Orange)
Spyderco Captain (Orange)
Navy 631 folder (White)
Sanrenmu 763 (white)

Can't wait!!!

Why stop now?

No Life Club Posts: 1,276
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:25:57 AM »

Stay multi my friends

We sent in a batch of stuff.

BP: A Kershaw folder (white)
A Skele (white)

Me: Spyderco Rescue (Breeden) (Orange)
Spyderco Captain (Orange)
Navy 631 folder (White)
Sanrenmu 763 (white)

Can't wait!!!
Aww you went and spoiled the surprise! :twak:  I was hoping to make others wait with us! This will be my first items to be coated, er... 'koted' I should say so either the thread will have to be started by either Metro or Steve or whoever else is ahead of the game for now. So far the desert tan tti of Eric's is my fav but Steve you got some SAK's done too already?

Stay multi my friends
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,595
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:41:15 AM »
I'm too lazy to look it up, but what ceramic is ceracoat based on? Ceramic is a really big word that encompass anything from flower pot to tungsten carbide.
Newbie Posts: 17
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »
Okay.....I wanted to post this for people so that they would know the facts about the Duracoat VS Cerakote debate.  I also have another post that I can make with the test results.

This is a great breakdown on the Cerakote VS Duracoat debate.

"Cerakote is used by more large gun manufacturers than any other gun coating for a few specific reasons; it has a very attractive finish, it comes in many different colors, it is cheaper to coat per square inch than the competitors, it is the most durable firearm finish out there on the market today, and it is fairly easy to apply. We brand Cerakote as a lifelong firearm finish. Cerakote is a ceramic coating that is applied in one single coat anywhere from .5-1mil thick. This enables the entire gun to be coated, inside and out. This is very appealing because it protects the entire gun from corrosion. The only parts that cannot be coated are the springs, inside of the barrel, and some of the pins with tight tolerances.

Durakote and Cerakote virtually share the same prep-steps prior to coating. However, Cerakote is best adhered to a sandblasted surface with aluminum oxide or garnet sand of 100-120grit. Durakote is also applied on top of a sandblasted surface, but can be applied on top of a sandblasted surface with different sandblasting media of different grit sizes.

Durakote is applied with a similar gun to Cerakote, but is applied in several coats, which makes its end mil thickness around 2+ mil. This takes away the option to coat the insides of the gun.

As far as durability is concerned, Cerakote out-performs Durakote in a wear cycle test 5,212 cycles to 418. As far as corrosion is concerned, Cerakote is corrosion free at 1000 hrs, where durakote has an onset of corrosion at 45 hours. Cerakote is also much more resistant to different chemicals than durakote is.

The cost per square foot of coverage with Cerakote is .58/ft2, where durakote is .99/ft2.

The general synopsis is that you get a more durable, better looking coating for much less when you use Cerakote."

this info was taken for Cerakote's FB page when someone asked if they could break down the difference. Since I started out in this industry with Durakote I can say that the quote above is dead nuts on.
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,153 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
Awesome information there jforbush!  Thanks for providing that.

Oh, and welcome.  :cheers:

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
Here is another one that might help with the debate...... 

So NIC Industries, the maker of Cerakote had a third party tester test a bunch of different coatings in a bunch of different categories....well low and behold Cerakote smoked everyone of them. That is to include, DLC, Duracoat, Park, Blueing, Gun Kote and Black Oxide.

here they are;

ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
Glad you made it over Jeff. That's another one I invited. He's the guy doing my cerakote. He's top notch in his work just check out his site

http://www.4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com/Photo-Gallery-.html

Welcome Jeff!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
Thanks for the invite....got a lot of learning to do over here....  :climber:
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
Okay.....I wanted to post this for people so that they would know the facts about the Duracoat VS Cerakote debate.  I also have another post that I can make with the test results.

This is a great breakdown on the Cerakote VS Duracoat debate.

"Cerakote is used by more large gun manufacturers than any other gun coating for a few specific reasons; it has a very attractive finish, it comes in many different colors, it is cheaper to coat per square inch than the competitors, it is the most durable firearm finish out there on the market today, and it is fairly easy to apply. We brand Cerakote as a lifelong firearm finish. Cerakote is a ceramic coating that is applied in one single coat anywhere from .5-1mil thick. This enables the entire gun to be coated, inside and out. This is very appealing because it protects the entire gun from corrosion. The only parts that cannot be coated are the springs, inside of the barrel, and some of the pins with tight tolerances.

Durakote and Cerakote virtually share the same prep-steps prior to coating. However, Cerakote is best adhered to a sandblasted surface with aluminum oxide or garnet sand of 100-120grit. Durakote is also applied on top of a sandblasted surface, but can be applied on top of a sandblasted surface with different sandblasting media of different grit sizes.

Durakote is applied with a similar gun to Cerakote, but is applied in several coats, which makes its end mil thickness around 2+ mil. This takes away the option to coat the insides of the gun.

As far as durability is concerned, Cerakote out-performs Durakote in a wear cycle test 5,212 cycles to 418. As far as corrosion is concerned, Cerakote is corrosion free at 1000 hrs, where durakote has an onset of corrosion at 45 hours. Cerakote is also much more resistant to different chemicals than durakote is.

The cost per square foot of coverage with Cerakote is .58/ft2, where durakote is .99/ft2.

The general synopsis is that you get a more durable, better looking coating for much less when you use Cerakote."

this info was taken for Cerakote's FB page when someone asked if they could break down the difference. Since I started out in this industry with Durakote I can say that the quote above is dead nuts on.

Good to see you here Jeff.

Just for reference guys...Jeff is an amazing cerakoter, certified coater and bad-ass guy.

Why stop now?

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »
Thanks brother!! :)   :whistle:
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 02:44:08 AM »
Now we can harass him here. Lol
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,693 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 03:30:28 AM »
Jeff, I've seen your work over at EDCF, and it's top notch stuff.   :salute:

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Thanks all....harass away!! :)

ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:58 AM »
Thanks all....harass away!! :)
Oh my you shouldn't have said that here :twak: lol
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
 :pok:  I can take it! :)
Full Member Posts: 237
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Very good information about Cerakote,
Definitely I would like to have a couple of knives with this coating...
Jeff, Do you could work in a single/couple of knives?
I am thinking about a multitool and single blade knife.
Thanks..
No Life Club Posts: 2,062 When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
:pok:  I can take it! :)

Just wait till we get started >:D

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.
ceracoat.. or duracoat ?
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:20 AM »
Oh the fun has begun :pok: :evil:
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
Thanks..

I do single runs as well as batch work all the time.  Contact me via email at jeff@4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com with the details of your job.

Full Member Posts: 237
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 05:15:17 AM »
Thanks..

I do single runs as well as batch work all the time.  Contact me via email at jeff@4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com with the details of your job.

Thanks, I will send you an email with more details in next days.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $31.00
PayPal Fees: $2.39
Net Balance: $28.61
Below Goal: $271.39
Site Currency: USD
 10%