Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small Fishing Report

us Offline OddFuture

Small Fishing Report
on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:01 PM
School is coming to an end and before work starts up. I decided to do some fishing, my favorite hobby.

Went to a place with a pond higher up and down a little road is a bigger pond.

This is the first pond.

Fly I was using.

First Victim.

Moved down to the lower pond.

Caught about 2 Dozen of these guys.

And caught about 6 of these guys.

Carried a ST300 to get the stubborn hooks, and a Vic Farmer just to have.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Small Fishing Report
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:10 AM
Now I know why I haven't caught anything yet this year- you are getting them all!

Did you keep any of them?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline OddFuture

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:24 AM
Now I know why I haven't caught anything yet this year- you are getting them all!

Did you keep any of them?

Def
Well the pond is catch and release of all Bass. But as for the bluegill i don't keep them because mostly out of laziness, because i don't want to clean them when i get home. When i go trout fishing, i usually keep 2, one for me and one for the cats.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:40 AM
I don't eat fish at all, and my wife who does eat fish doesn't like the idea of eating anything that was alive that recently, so on the odd occasion I catch anything, they always go back.

You are right- just like hunting the whole experience craps out the moment you are successful!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline OddFuture

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:53 AM
I don't eat fish at all, and my wife who does eat fish doesn't like the idea of eating anything that was alive that recently, so on the odd occasion I catch anything, they always go back.

You are right- just like hunting the whole experience craps out the moment you are successful!

Def

Yep, i thank the fish for the fight and let them swim home.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:11:40 PM

Uhm... I really, really don't get the logic behind that one. I mean, each to his own and all that, but for me fresh food is a bonus? Except when it comes a good ham, of course...

(Insert mandatory joke about someone marrying Grant can't be 100% sane anyway and all that here. :) )

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:45 PM
That joke aside, my wife doesn't like to think of her food as having been alive before.  It's just one of her things- she'd rather be as far removed from the point where it transitioned from animal to food.

Def

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:36:51 PM
We use barbless hooks.  That way there's less damage to the fish.  I haven't kept anything I've caught since I was a teenager.  Much more fun to catch and release, thinking that maybe I'll catch him again next time.  >:D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:59 PM
That joke aside, my wife doesn't like to think of her food as having been alive before.  It's just one of her things- she'd rather be as far removed from the point where it transitioned from animal to food.

Fair enough. I'm married to a woman who can look at a fluffy lamb and go “Mmm... that looks tasty.” That has probably colored my outlook.

I make a point of trying not to hurt anything living I'm not planning to eat, and if I'm planning to eat it, I try to kill it quickly and humanely. I can see the point of catch and release fishing if we're talking a few beers and a some good buddies all hoping they won't catch anything, though. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:55:48 PM
I agree- I only kill rodents and bugs that I'm not planning to eat, and only because they are in my house, and because the little buggers are too smart for the live traps I put out.   :twak:

If there was a way to manufacture meat in a lab that was completely live animal free my wife would totally go for that.

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:27 PM
If there was a way to manufacture meat in a lab that was completely live animal free my wife would totally go for that.

Frankly, so would I. Aside from animal welfare and the huge environmental advantages (the good reasons), think of the possibility of producing muscles totally devoid of sinews (the tasty reason). No more chewing gum meat.

When I was a kid, we had a huge rodent problem back home, but they couldn't stay away from bacon. Bacon (in traps) does lead to an early death among rodents as well. We didn't have live traps, and I'm quite certain they weren't available. I never learnt of the concept till a few years back, actually.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:30:53 PM
Feel free to un-learn them. I have are tried a variety of live traps and they just don't work. I baited them with peanut butter and nada.  Then we switched to kill traps and they didn't work either. Glue traps and poison are the only thing that had any effect on the rodent population in my house.

Def

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Small Fishing Report
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:27:19 AM
I love a good bass fight! Bass are my favorite fish to catch because of the fight they put up. I won't eat any fish so I also catch and release.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline mkianni

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:47 AM
The biggest bass I ever caught. ( 9lb 12oz) 

Caught at a private farm pond in Frederick county Md on a 6 inch black and red senco back in the summer of 07.
bffish2.jpg
* bffish2.jpg (Filesize: 39.58 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88