Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone with Vinox Ranger, even as EDC?

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Anyone with Vinox Ranger, even as EDC?
on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:10 AM
Hello,
i try to minimize the bulk and weight of my bunch of keys and i would detest carrying even something as small as the Minichamp on my keychain if i hardly use it per week. i still might get it one day because my view of things could change; i am still learning about EDC needs and compromises. Keychain means to me: carrying it all the time with me, even at home indoors, at the PC, TV, etc. So that's what i do: except for sleeping time 8hrs/day ;) i have my little bunch of keys always on me. Always. I do have a 1xAAA flashlight (30grams incl battery) on the keychain and i enjoy carrying it there.

Instead of the Minichamp (which i would hardly use during the week, i am sure) i am thinking of getting a "full" SAK; the Vic Ranger, for example, is even cheaper than the Minichamp, i cant believe it!

I would carry the Ranger only when i leave the house and go to specific places (e.g. friend's place, party, errands, physical work, ..) and probably drop it in the chest pocket of my jeans jacket.. but then again i could take my Vinox Spirit (ordered today!) to those specific places instead! There is too much redundancy between the Spirit and the Ranger .. and it would frustrate me using one more often than the other.

Is there anyone who EDC's a Vic as bulky (weight, layers, dimensions) as the Ranger and if yes, how do you carry it?

Rethinking about my system and attitude, i probably will get the Minichamp instead of the Ranger (or Super Tinker or Explorer or similar). But if there is anyone who can report on the EDC-ibility of such sized Vic's, please share, thanks!!

us Offline DeezNittles

Re: Anyone with Vinox Ranger, even as EDC?
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:55:08 AM
I highly suggest the Vic Manager over the MiniChamp for Keychain carry. In my experience the Rambler/Manager Toolset is of way more use than the extra offerings of the MiniChamp. But as always YMMV.

I have EDCed a Vic Explorer for some time just free in the front right pocket of my slacks. While noticable it isn't uncomfortable at all. However, I would hesitate to go bigger than 4 layers.

If you are worried about the bulk of the MiniChamp but are considering a 91mm model, I would just go with a 58mm Manager if you'd like the pen or Rambler for t&t. I am a firm believer that the tool you have on you is the best tool for the job in any given situation, and as you stated your keys are always on you.

us Offline Donald

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:20:45 AM
The Vic Huntsman / Wenger S17 / Farmer are about all I am willing to EDC. I do occasionally go larger, especially to carry my SG OH PE Trekker. If you want a lot of power in a relatively small package the Cadet II Plus a/k/a micro-Farmer is very nice. I have that in my pocket now. You do not get scissors and alox does not provide a T&T. However, I have the T&T tucked in my wallet with a shortened to appropriate length hollow drink stirrer as the carrier/storage unit.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:54 AM
thanks for your suggestions, i will reconsider them. street prices for the 4-, 5- layer models are about the same (in the lower 20's € range, see schottenland.de), that's one of the reasons why i would want to *buy* (but not necessarily carry everyday) the Vinox Ranger. I am realizing that the Ranger is rather impractical for EDC .. why would one need a saw and metal file in everyday situations. That's where i need to add: in everyday situations i hardly need *any* tool of an SAK, except for the pen and a blade.

naughty me .. i almost feel and behave like a child who needs to get the stuff as fast as possible and by any means.

so what i just did: i ordered the Minichamp  :-\

I wouldve wanted the Minichamp anyway but the price (at least the amazon.com asked 29.00US$ as a reference point!) had ever been forbidding. For this money i can easily buy a Vinox Ranger!! Since the Range would frustrate me (too bulky, hardly any carry, hardly any use, duplicate functions with regard to my shelf queen Vinox Spirit, etc) --i know me well-- i decided for the equally priced Minichamp.

The Ranger has lost here in my purchase decision .. but if i ever get into buying (again) (or more) Vic's, i will reconsider it and the other ones.

Thank you guys so far!!

( erh.. t&t is?? :) )

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:40:39 AM
I wish I could've chimed in here before you pulled the trigger.

I have a Minichamp. (original)
I have a Classic.
I have a Rambler.
I had a Manager.

The only real advantage the Minichamp has over the Rambler or Manager is the orange peeler. That is one brilliant little tool.

Now, as to carrying the Ranger, here is the thing: Once you get above 3 or 4 layers, you'd better just resign yourself to belt pouch carry.  The beauty is that once you're carrying in a pouch, it doesn't really MATTER how thick the SAK is. It feels just about the same. I've been carrying a Wenger S557 for the last 4 or 5 days. It's less obtrusive in a belt pouch than a 3 layer SAK is in the pocket.

Get the Minichamp and enjoy it. It IS kind of big for the keys, so just pocket carry it for when you're not likely to need big tools.

When you leave the house or you're going to need bigger tools, carry the bigger SAK. Personally, I think the Workchamp is a better choice than the Ranger, as it has the locking blade and two phillips'. (the Ranger has none; a HUGE oversight, in my opinion)  When you're ready to do this, go with the Craftsman or CyberTool 41 instead. Get the cheap Victorinox cordura belt pouch with it. I have the nice Zermatt pouch, but they ride kind of high, and it is always digging into my love handles.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:54:04 AM
I previously started EDCing a Midnight MiniChamp and then I realized it is so thick in fact the same thickness as a 3 layer 84mm SAK. I also realized I do not need the light as my mobile phone LED is much brighter and I have it all the time.

The small screw driver/combo bottle opener on the 58mm is a must for me, it can fit #00/#0/#1/#2. I have a Rally on my key chain and it's as thin as the Classic SD. I would suggest a pen too. So my recommendation is:

1) Rally + a 91mm Compact
or
2) Manager + 84mm Sportsman/Waiter

Check out Climber or the Huntsman if you need the woodsaw.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:28:07 PM
The beauty is that once you're carrying in a pouch, it doesn't really MATTER how thick the SAK is.

Hear hear, I EDC a Huntsman in a belt pouch. I've been thinking about a CT41 as the ultimate tool for me. I have lots of day to day use for the woodsaw and metal file and my recent experience with a Minigrip has made me appreciate the possibilities of a driver plus bits.

One day a CT41 will fall into my lap. I will be happy for a while, then start eyeing another model.

This SAK stuff is addictive.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:32 PM
I love the Rambler or Classic for Keychain carry, but I never rely on just my key setup even at home.  I think a 3 layer SAK in the pocket is fine, but for the weight I would just as soon carry a belt pouch for it and upgrade to a 5 layer or so.  The larger knives all feel the same as another poster said, and you can pack so much more utility into it on a belt sheath. 

All this aside, the Minichamp is an awesome little tool, and I aim to get one soon as well.  Please post your thoughts!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:48:21 PM
The beauty is that once you're carrying in a pouch, it doesn't really MATTER how thick the SAK is.

Hear hear, I EDC a Huntsman in a belt pouch. I've been thinking about a CT41 as the ultimate tool for me. I have lots of day to day use for the woodsaw and metal file and my recent experience with a Minigrip has made me appreciate the possibilities of a driver plus bits.

One day a CT41 will fall into my lap. I will be happy for a while, then start eyeing another model.

CT 41, one of the best saks ever.

You know you want one, you know you need one........ :pok:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:51:53 PM

+1, awesome knife!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:52:23 PM

I'm off down the docks to raise some cash......................
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:25:10 PM
Big Ranger fan here , Rocked one for quite a while - it got me out of a few jams . The saw/metal file can be a lifesaver . ATM I carry a Handyman . The Pliers are pretty handy , and I like the chisel .

Chris

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:26:05 PM
I know you've already ordered the Minichamp, but I'll still give my input.

For me, the Minichamp was far too thick for my keyring; it had too many tools I just did not use, so I found myself going back to a Rambler or my beloved Vagabond.  In regard to any SAK over 74mm on my keyring, I simply wouldn't consider the possibility.  A SAK as large as even a Compact is simply too large for my liking; I'd much rather carry an 84 to 111mm SAK in my pocket, and I've carried a SwissChamp before with no issues whatsoever in my jeans before. :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 07:24:12 PM
Two minor points I haven't seen mentioned: The Ranger is a thin 5 layer knife, it's really not that much thicker than an Explorer. (Ranger 22 mm, Explorer 21 mm. All layers are certainly not created equal.) Both SAKWiki and Victorinox has nice tables of actual thicknesses, just counting layers is only informative if you're already familiar with the layers in question. My second point is the answer to how I EDC it myself, it's either plain pocket carry or a Vic belt-hanger. Belt-hangers are pure genius when it comes to carrying a thick SAK discreetly.

The Ranger is one of the knives I often travel with. It's sort of a nice compromise between the heavy-weights and the minimalists.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 07:27:16 PM

:rofl:  i would be happy with just a swisschamp but the bulk does put me off  :-\

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 07:37:24 PM
just counting layers is only informative if you're already familiar with the layers in question...
That's true.

Quote from: Steinar
a Vic belt-hanger. Belt-hangers are pure genius when it comes to carrying a thick SAK discreetly.
When you said 'belt hanger' what are you talking about? Are you talking about something that keeps the knife vertically in your pocket by hanging it from the belt? Or are you talking about a regular pouch?

Do you have any examples of belt hangers handy? I did tie a couple of lanyards to be that length, but I used red paracord, so they're less discreet than a regular pouch.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55:46 PM
a Vic belt-hanger. Belt-hangers are pure genius when it comes to carrying a thick SAK discreetly.
When you said 'belt hanger' what are you talking about? Are you talking about something that keeps the knife vertically in your pocket by hanging it from the belt? Or are you talking about a regular pouch?

Do you have any examples of belt hangers handy? I did tie a couple of lanyards to be that length, but I used red paracord, so they're less discreet than a regular pouch.

Something that hangs the knife from the belt, and that way keeps the knife vertically in the pocket, yes. I don't know whether it's idiomatic in English, it's what Vic calls the product themselves. I was specifically thinking of the Victorinox belt hanger in steel. I have also made a simpler one myself using 2 mm line (or was it 3mm... whatever) and hanging it from a belt loop with a carabiner hook.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 07:45:23 AM

:rofl:  i would be happy with just a swisschamp but the bulk does put me off  :-\

The Swisschamp is an awesome knife, and the bulk is an acquired taste.  For urban EDC, it's hard to beat.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 01:07:34 PM
The Swisschamp is an awesome knife, and the bulk is an acquired taste.  For urban EDC, it's hard to beat.

I disagree. I think it shines more as a rural EDC or one for those camping and fishing trips.

In an urban setting, one will never use the saw, fish scaler, chisels. One would probably come to resent the bulk.

Have you considered a Victorinox Mountaineer instead?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 01:19:04 PM

I disagree. I think it shines more as a rural EDC or one for those camping and fishing trips.

In an urban setting, one will never use the saw, fish scaler, chisels. One would probably come to resent the bulk.

Have you considered a Victorinox Mountaineer instead?

I actually used to EDC one specifically for my job in Security.  I used the saw for pruning landscaping around the facility that impeded foot traffic, and the fish scaler is a fantastic probing device for working on electronics like door locks(something I do everyday).  The chisel was a seldom used tool but when I needed to clean any crusted crap out of a lock mechanism or hinge seat it was invaluable.  The file of course was required equipment for making keys and modifying them on the fly.  I used the pliers as extremely strong tweezers, and everything else on the tool just lends itself to urban use by design.  In my opinion(and it's just an opinion) the Swisschamp is hard to beat when it comes to utility vs weight.  I am very fond of mine and might start carrying it again now!

I rarely use any of my tools expressly for their intended purpose.  My screwdrivers get used more for poking, prodding, prying, and scraping.  I rarely need a flathead driver to drive a screw, so I just make the tool do what I need it for.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:22:29 PM by Mercury »
Sean

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 01:22:25 PM
I did a comparison in the review section a while back between the Victorinox Minichamp, Midnite Manager and LM Micra.

I currently carry the Midnite Manager, so you can see which one won.  :D
My most used tool on it is the pen, followed by the scissors.
The pen is a lifesaver, and I allways carry another bigger knife on me too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:36 PM
thanks everyone for the interesting input!
argh, the dealer from whom i ordered the Minichamp (which won the first round against the Ranger) informed me that the product is backordered and will reach me in 7+ days, not before. i hope that i can stand still and not feel too tempted by this thread to pull another trigger. this time for the Ranger (or a 1-layer smaller Vinox SAK).

On flashlight forums it is common practice to order something neat (expensive light) from overseas China/Hongkong with 1-2 months waiting time and 50-70% savings compared to national dealers, and while getting nervous about the long waiting time, say after 1-2 weeks quickly place a few more orders (inexpensive accessories or budget lights), again from China/Hongkong. Such behavior makes the waiting time much more reasonable ..  :rofl:

i can foresee that i wont need any normal-sized SAK in daily life (which is half rural half urban) because i ordered Spirit and Minichamp already .. but i'm still interested in this topic. SAK's like the Ranger or similar certainly require a holster for EDC.

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20:44 AM
Trust me, it won't be your last SAK. We are here to influence you  :rofl:
Check out the highly collectable 84mm golfer, it has only 2 layers and has every greatest SAK tools.

thanks everyone for the interesting input!
argh, the dealer from whom i ordered the Minichamp (which won the first round against the Ranger) informed me that the product is backordered and will reach me in 7+ days, not before. i hope that i can stand still and not feel too tempted by this thread to pull another trigger. this time for the Ranger (or a 1-layer smaller Vinox SAK).

On flashlight forums it is common practice to order something neat (expensive light) from overseas China/Hongkong with 1-2 months waiting time and 50-70% savings compared to national dealers, and while getting nervous about the long waiting time, say after 1-2 weeks quickly place a few more orders (inexpensive accessories or budget lights), again from China/Hongkong. Such behavior makes the waiting time much more reasonable ..  :rofl:

i can foresee that i wont need any normal-sized SAK in daily life (which is half rural half urban) because i ordered Spirit and Minichamp already .. but i'm still interested in this topic. SAK's like the Ranger or similar certainly require a holster for EDC.
-
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:45:28 AM by demonoflust »

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 03:49:57 AM
I also like to buy used SAKs, they can be your for few dollars. Some even look newer than the one I bought from the store. I can clean them up, oil and polish them well with brasso. Below are a climber and Wenger Traveler I had recently purchase used. To be honest, the Climber is newer than many of my new SAKs. Wenger is good too.
-

-
I already have a red Traveler and it is my mine EDC. I like it a lot so I bought this black version just to keep it.
-
Some of my "few" regular size 84/85/91mm SAKs. Top are 58/65mm, bottom are my Spirit/111mm. While I still have a few laying on my desk, I'm sure I don't have that many... still building up :gimme:
-
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:00:56 AM by demonoflust »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21