Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Uses for the cut and picker blade

us Offline clickstop

Uses for the cut and picker blade
on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:54 AM
I've been carrying a Minichamp for about a month now, and for the life of me I cannot figure out a use for that cut and picker blade! I thought it'd be handy for opening clamshell packaging, but I have not tested that yet. It doesn't even seem to be able to cut Type I paracord. Besides its obvious use for peeling oranges, can anyone tell me what they've used this tool for? A seatbelt cutter, maybe?  :rofl:

us Offline APS

Re: Uses for the cut and picker blade
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:03:36 AM
I do believe it is supposed to be used to puncture the foil cap on a bottle of pills, and pull out the cotton covering the pills.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:14:03 AM
Yea I saw that on SakWiki, but really I never use it for that  :P Surprisingly enough I did find a use for it just now -- stripping wire. Works incredibly well, even for 12 GA wire

us Offline Donald

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:16 AM
Perhaps for those more practiced the results might differ, but I found it easier to use on a tangerine peel than the orange peeling blade on the Executive. It was less likely to go too far in and damage a section. It might also differ depending on the thickness of the peel.

us Offline Donald

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:31:15 AM
I meant to ask so how did you find it most useful in stripping wire?

us Offline clickstop

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:57:27 AM
I meant to ask so how did you find it most useful in stripping wire?

If you've seen the wire stripper on the Leatherman Wingman, it works kind of the same. Just cut the wire insulation with the hook, then use it to slip the insulation out. It took some practice, but it got a lot easier

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:25:34 PM
The orange peeler on the Minichamp is not really sharp enough to cut clamshell packaging. It has a chisel grind, and it is very coarse and a wide angle. It really needs some attention with a Dremel or jeweler's file to make it as useful as it could be for things other than orange peels.

That one Victorinox video where they show him just zipping through the clamshell packaging is .... dramatized.

I used mine yesterday to break the skin on a Cutie. (little tangerine) It actually cuts too deeply for that, but would work perfectly on oranges and maybe even grapefruits.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:19:31 PM
Gotta agree with Smaug on this. With some re-profiling and sharpening it works much better :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:38:43 PM
Gotta agree with Smaug on this. With some re-profiling and sharpening it works much better

That looks great theonew. Did you use a small diameter stone in the Dremel to do that?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:44:00 PM
Thanks. I did it by hand with this

Took about 20 minutes or so.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:04:01 PM
Wow, that looks sweet! How handy is it now that you've sharpened it and all?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:56 AM
It's pretty smurfin' sharp now. It can cut out magazine articles, cut thin cardboard and it sails through clam packs. Not sure if it has made orange peeling worse or not but I've never needed a tool for that task. Definitely a worthwhile endeavor in my opinion.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:04:25 AM
Thanks. I did it by hand with this

(Image removed from quote.)

Took about 20 minutes or so.
Can this sharpener also be used to sharpen the butter blade on the Spirit?
i have no idea how one sharpens the butter blade of the Swisstool Spirit. Sorry for the OT (anyone with a link?).

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:15 AM
While I'm confident with my sharpening skills on plain edge blades and do quite a bit of it for friends and family, I'm new to sharpening serrated knives. So with that said, I can tell you I have been using the above tool to sharpen serrated blades and they do get sharper, much sharper. I can shave leg hair with the serrated blade of my LM KF4. You do need to be careful and use very short strokes at the matching diameter for each serration.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 02:47:43 AM
thanks! what's the name (or brand or product name) of this item or similar item, and where is a good place to find them? Any local hardware store, or a speSmurfpillst inet webstore? If you cant post links, i'd welcome a PM.

i am totally new to knives, serrated blades, and sharpening. i *must* get into it because i recently ordered the Minichamp and the Spirit. I havent watched youtube vids yet and i dont know if this forum has a guide to sharpening SAK's and SwissTools..

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:04:50 AM
The model above is ceramic and made by DMT but I believe it is discontinued. If I were to replace it I would go with these also from DMT

When I first got into sharpening my friend who is a master woodworker told me to get DMT diamond hones. I didn't listen to him and wasted a lot of time and money buying other products. Now I use DMT hones almost exclusively for initial sharpening. For small blades like on SAKs and MTs a couple of DMT diafolds would do the trick. One coarse/fine and one extra fine/extra extra fine.

As for the best place to buy them, I don't really have a recommendation. But I will say you can do a lot better than the prices shown in the DMT store to which I have linked above ;)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 01:07:58 AM
Search Amazon for 'dmt serrated' and you'll find lots of options.

If you're just looking for gear to sharpen plain edged knives, then the Spyderco Sharpmaker is the way to go. The coarse diamond stones are a worthwhile investment, if you ever have to fix a bad factory bevel or a used knife from some idiot who tried to sharpen it on a bench grinder.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 01:18:11 AM
Thanks!!
Okay, now i at least have a reference (name, manufacturer, search term). Will then have to look into local offerings or national shippers of similar items in order to avoid shipping expenses.

Is DMT one of the best? ebay prices are a bit high .. and on the lower end i find many hits for "Smith's" sharpening products. Hmmh. Will have to do some more research and video watching..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:02:00 AM by kreisler »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD