Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flash Drive Encryption Software

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Flash Drive Encryption Software
on: January 15, 2008, 12:42:45 AM
Any recommendations?  I have a 1g Sandisk Cruizer micro vault, and while I don;t have anything really important on it, I would like to encrypt it because I'm a very private and paranoid individual.

If possible, I'd like something password protected, but offers my contact info in hopes that if I lose it someone will be able to return it to me.  I have a label on it with my phone number, but even so it would be nice to have a software option as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Flash Drive Encryption Software
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:29:56 AM
this one is free, open source and many like it; http://www.truecrypt.org/
check the reviews.

Offline cryptrick

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:02:07 PM
The San Disk Cruizer Vaults have encrypted software on them dont they?

Anyway, I have a Cruizer but I got fed up after day one of that bloody great big popup Task organizer crap that pops up when you insert the stick. Its like something Symantec would do. I just wiped mine fully clean so haven't got any of San Disks software on it now. I don't actually encrypt mine because I use it on average every 10mins at work (no joke) so that isnt an option for me. But when I used to take mine college I used Steganos Safe. However, I now just use what WhichDawg suggested, TrueCrypt. Dead easy to use, I have it setup on my PC and have never had any trouble.
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:10:13 PM
Def, I have that same one!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:26:04 PM
I erased the Sandisk encryption stuff too- I think I copied it somewhere else first, but I'm pretty sure I didn't use it because I didn't care for it.  I like their hardware but I've never been a fan of their software!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Thargor

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 07:32:37 PM

Anyway, I have a Cruizer but I got fed up after day one of that bloody great big popup Task organizer crap that pops up when you insert the stick. Its like something Symantec would do. I just wiped mine fully clean so haven't got any of San Disks software on it now. I don't actually encrypt mine because I use it on average every 10mins at work (no joke) so that isnt an option for me. But when I used to take mine college I used Steganos Safe. However, I now just use what WhichDawg suggested, TrueCrypt. Dead easy to use, I have it setup on my PC and have never had any trouble.
We have a lecturer on my course with that software on his flash drive aswell and every time he arrives in the hall and inserts it into the projector pc to get his slides we have to listen to him cursing it for 5 minutes while that software starts ;)

I love portableapps on my keyring:

http://portableapps.com/

Plus the portable Firefox on it lets me get around all the annoying blacklist filters they put on the pcs in the college.

Offline cryptrick

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:56:23 PM

We have a lecturer on my course with that software on his flash drive aswell and every time he arrives in the hall and inserts it into the projector pc to get his slides we have to listen to him cursing it for 5 minutes while that software starts ;)

Plus the portable Firefox on it lets me get around all the annoying blacklist filters they put on the pcs in the college.

Lol, it really does get annoying, I feel for your lecturer. Its funny how nobody has told him he can get rid of it :D.

Yeah portableapps.com is a good site isn't it. Nice to see your using the Firefox Portable :)
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 08:11:08 PM

Portableapps is awesome! I have basically the same functionality of my main computer on any computer just plug in my hard drive and away i go. Brilliant bit of coding that.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:32:29 PM
Take a look at this site:

http://www.portablefreeware.com

Carlos
(

Offline Levi

• What just happened?
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:15:40 PM
Portableapps? On OS X pretty much everything is portable :P

I just use BitClamp to encode individual (sensitive) files (so I'm not waiting around for 3+GB to be encrypted). It was designed for OS X, but I believe there is/will soon be a Windows version. If not I'm sure there are many others that do the same thing (there are at least five on OS X so there must be 20+ for Windows).
I

Offline Thargor

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:58:03 PM
Portableapps? On OS X pretty much everything is portable :P
Why would you want to bring them anywhere though? Its not like you're going to walk into an internet cafe or library or office and find a Mac :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%