Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy) 166274

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,546 Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Rebar Owner's Club (pic heavy)
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
OK, 

$35.85 + $4.14 shipping

Leatherman 831689 REBAR and MICRA Stainless Steel Multi-Tool Set with Sheath

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831689-Stainless-Multi-Tool-Sheath/dp/B00BRYBX2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372461420&sr=8-2&keywords=leatherman+rebar+micra

just passing along the deal

If I can help, let me know 
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30:07 AM »
And since i found this deal above, I now own a Rebar (Once it arrives)

I could not beat $39.99 for a Rebar with sheath AND a Micra  :mail:

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,246 Wooooo!
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2013, 05:38:42 AM »
That is a pretty sweet deal indeed :tu:  Enjoy your new Rebar and Micra once you get them :)

K-Tibbs
No Life Club Posts: 2,026
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2013, 06:05:27 AM »
Just picked up my Rebar today,looked in the LM production time line,and it shows 2012,my question is that mine has 801 in both handles,that makes no sense to me,does anybody else have production dates in there's??

That actually may be B01.  Let me check mine....yup, B01 on the inside of the lock tab.  Is that what you're talking about?  Mine has no date, which I believe I've read others stating this as well.
Your right,with my old eye's I had to get a magnifying glass out to see B01,still don't know what it means,but as long as I get my 25 yr warranty I'm happy,that will be when I'm 95!!! :salute:
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2013, 06:23:51 AM »
Just picked up my Rebar today,looked in the LM production time line,and it shows 2012,my question is that mine has 801 in both handles,that makes no sense to me,does anybody else have production dates in there's??

That actually may be B01.  Let me check mine....yup, B01 on the inside of the lock tab.  Is that what you're talking about?  Mine has no date, which I believe I've read others stating this as well.
Your right,with my old eye's I had to get a magnifying glass out to see B01,still don't know what it means,but as long as I get my 25 yr warranty I'm happy,that will be when I'm 95!!! :salute:

Yeah I don't know what it means either really.  It could be a number representing the part or something like that perhaps.  Enjoy your Rebar, it's a nice multitool and one of my favorites :tu:

K-Tibbs
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
That is a pretty sweet deal indeed :tu:  Enjoy your new Rebar and Micra once you get them :)

I have a Micra, and think it is awesome (for what it is, no surge replacement   ::)  )  I wanted a Rebar, but they run $50-60 online, so when I saw one that was $39.99, I was all over it, and then to top it off it comes with a Micra.   :ahhh

Now I can put a Micra in my altoids tin survival kit!

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »

I have a Micra, and think it is awesome (for what it is, no surge replacement   ::)  )  I wanted a Rebar, but they run $50-60 online, so when I saw one that was $39.99, I was all over it, and then to top it off it comes with a Micra.   :ahhh

Now I can put a Micra in my altoids tin survival kit!

Yeah the Micra is a good little tool.  I paid $50 for my Rebar, but I got it when they first came out about a year ago.  Now I see them on Amazon in the mid $30's range at times.  Spending $40 and getting an originally $50 tool plus a bonus $20 tool is a sweet deal.  Hope you enjoy the Rebar:))

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

K-Tibbs
No Life Club Posts: 1,178 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2013, 04:12:08 AM »
I finally managed to kill my Wave:

Why, Jothra? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

It took five years of truly monstrous abuse to do that. That Wave has done things no pocket tool should ever have to do. But then, that's the point, isn't it? The Wave shouldn't have to do it, but succeeded anyway. Points for Leatherman!

So while I plan to warranty it anyway, because the worst that could possibly happen is they say no, I decided this was a good chance to try another tool. I wanted something no bigger than the Wave (no Surge. It's a brick with pliers in!) I already have a Skeletool, but I wanted a tool with full pliers that I can butterfly open, and the Skeletool has become a dedicated Bike Bag tool anyway. I also have a Kick (my first Leatherman), but I wanted something with no plastic parts and with snappier, lockable tools.

I considered some flavour of Charge, and was just about ready to grab a Charge AL. But then I saw a Rebar.

It stared into my eyes. I stared into its eyes. I took it home.

Rebar with Kick and Skeletool.

I've loosened the pivots a tiny bit, and now it's perfect. I don't miss those dinky Wave scissors (and have some on my SAK anyway), and with an adapter for the Phillips driver, I can use any screwdriver bit I want. We'll see how the pliers do with actually tying rebar this summer, but I think I've found my new EDC bag tool.
No Life Club Posts: 4,468 Don't judge a tool by it's brand
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
That is some impressive damage you did to your Wave there, Jothra :o  What made it break like that?

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:21 AM »
That is some impressive damage you did to your Wave there, Jothra :o  What made it break like that?
The final straw was bending a piece of metal into an adapter to move a brake on an odd-wheeled Frankenbike. I was clamping pretty hard, and the sound of the tool snapping was spectacular. I've used this tool for five years of commercial construction, including who knows how many steel mats for sidewalks and concrete aprons. Basically, anytime there weren't any easily-accessible pliers around for a job, the Leatherman came out. When you're with a hands-on general contractor, that's really, really often.
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2013, 04:44:22 AM »
Sorry about your wave  :'(

I hope the warranty repair goes well.

Side note, I never thought that my who personality could be captured in an emoticon, but you guys nailed it with this one    :climber:
 SOO me, even my co-worker  thought it fit me perfectly

No Life Club Posts: 2,791
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2013, 05:46:11 AM »
Oh no Jothra! I think the rebar pliers will work well for your job. And there is always the possibility of a rewave? Of course then warranty would be voided.

And by the way I find the little jokes you throw into your posts very amusing :D
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2013, 06:13:43 AM »
Oh no Jothra! I think the rebar pliers will work well for your job. And there is always the possibility of a rewave? Of course then warranty would be voided.

And by the way I find the little jokes you throw into your posts very amusing :D
Thank you!

Anyway, I think you're right—the Rebar looks very promising. I probably won't bother modding, since all the features I loved in the Wave have made it into a more compact package with beefier pliers (except for the bit driver, though there's an adapter for that).
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,679 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
 :ahhh

Poor little Wave. :'( Glad it served you well. :salute:

Maybe we should give The great (broken) multitool picture thread a bit of a bump.
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
Ok, now that I have received my rebar, I love it.  What I did find surprising was just how much awesomeness they squeezed into essentially the same footprint a my kick, which had a super small tool assortment.  The rebar is only 1.5 oz heavier than the kick.   I will try to get some side by side shots to point this out in picture form later

Sent via the force

« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
Ok, now that I have received my rebar, I love it.  What I did find surprising was just how much awesomeness they squeezed into essentially the same footprint a my kick, which had a super small tool assortment.  The rebar is only 1.5 oz heavier than the kick.   I will try to get some side by side shots to point this out in picture form later

Sent via the force

I know, that's one of the best things about it, that they managed to make it so robust while still being a slim, sleek, lightweight package :tu: 

K-Tibbs
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
I also got a ST300, on the Rebar the wire cutters touch and make it a little hard to close and then open the pliers (slightly)  on the ST it wil cut paper, but they do not meet.  Think I should loosen the wire cutters slightly on my Rebar?

« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
Maybe you should loosen them?  I'm not sure what exactly would happen if you loosen them as I've never dabbled in that with mine.  Mine opens/closes smoothly and the cutters don't touch in an interfering way.  They also cut paper.  I love the Rebar pliers, and the Rebar in general :tu:

K-Tibbs
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »
Maybe you should loosen them?  I'm not sure what exactly would happen if you loosen them as I've never dabbled in that with mine.  Mine opens/closes smoothly and the cutters don't touch in an interfering way.  They also cut paper.  I love the Rebar pliers, and the Rebar in general :tu:

Thanks I will loosen them just a touch.  The one thing I did notice about the Rebar is that the slight buldge out the handles make in the closed position.  The ST300 does not do this

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »

Thanks I will loosen them just a touch.  The one thing I did notice about the Rebar is that the slight buldge out the handles make in the closed position.  The ST300 does not do this

Cool, let us know how that works out for you.  Oh do you mean that section that sticks out at the bottom of the sloped area?  I thought that was odd myself, but it may have something to do with the rolled edges to the handles so that they don't hurt when using the pliers. :think:  It may be due to the fact that they were trying to make it slim and that area and along the edges had to stick out to allow room for the rolled edges?  Not sure, but I imagine the ST300 must have the rolled edges too, unless that's not the case. 

K-Tibbs
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »

Cool, let us know how that works out for you.  Oh do you mean that section that sticks out at the bottom of the sloped area?  I thought that was odd myself, but it may have something to do with the rolled edges to the handles so that they don't hurt when using the pliers. :think:  It may be due to the fact that they were trying to make it slim and that area and along the edges had to stick out to allow room for the rolled edges?  Not sure, but I imagine the ST300 must have the rolled edges too, unless that's not the case.

First,
loosened the cutters about 1/100th of a turn each, and they do not touch, but will cut paper.   :D

Second
I bought a ST300 at the same time as my Rebar, and it it flat, (no bump) but it does have the rolled edges.  The Rebar laying closed on a table can rock side to side, like a messed up table, the ST300, has no movement at all.

Not a big deal, I just thought my Rebar was damaged, until I saw other pix of the Rebar, and noticed the hump on them. 

I am much happier with the Rebar than I expected to be.  the file may not be diamond (One reason I love my Surge!)  but it is super aggressive!

I also noticed that the Rebar pliers open a little wider than the ST300  :rofl:

« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2013, 03:19:59 AM »

First,
loosened the cutters about 1/100th of a turn each, and they do not touch, but will cut paper.   :D

Second
I bought a ST300 at the same time as my Rebar, and it it flat, (no bump) but it does have the rolled edges.  The Rebar laying closed on a table can rock side to side, like a messed up table, the ST300, has no movement at all.

Not a big deal, I just thought my Rebar was damaged, until I saw other pix of the Rebar, and noticed the hump on them. 

I am much happier with the Rebar than I expected to be.  the file may not be diamond (One reason I love my Surge!)  but it is super aggressive!

I also noticed that the Rebar pliers open a little wider than the ST300  :rofl:

Oh good, glad that did the trick for you :tu:

Yeah, that bump did bug me, and sometimes does when I wish it would lay flat on a surface, but it really makes no difference in the end.  I do also wish it had a diamond file (the biggest strike against it for me), but its overall awesomeness makes up for that :tu:

K-Tibbs
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »
Not sure if I posted this already, but anyway, I got one too, and I love it :) Really impressed with the cutters, I cut some steel cable with it (the kind that's in the rim of the outer tires of some old wrecked bikes I disassembles) and they went through like through butter :)

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,689 Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
I'm in.

just picked up a black oxide rebar.

my has been very smooth . Excellent fit and finish.

Defend the Hive!!!
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »
Congrats on joining the club guys :cheers:  The Rebar is awesome, and I hope you enjoy them :tu:

K-Tibbs
Newbie Posts: 49
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
Just received a new Rebar, a LM exchange for a non-repairable Blast. If I'd known then...........
Do you know the country of origin, mine has no markings?

Jim
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »

Just received a new Rebar, a LM exchange for a non-repairable Blast. If I'd known then...........

Jim

All Leatherman's are made in the USA (Portland, Oregon) Though I believe some parts, or the steel or something, could come from somewhere else, if I'm right.

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,679 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »

Jim

All Leatherman's are made in the USA (Portland, Oregon) Though I believe some parts, or the steel or something, could come from somewhere else, if I'm right.

They are assembled in the US and most parts are made in the US, I think pliers (Mexico) and files (Austria/Switzerland/ not sure exactly ) are made outside of the US. Cause of this ruling by a California court: http://www.leatherman.com/about/release?id=20
 if even a screw is made outside of the US, it can't say made in the US. ::)
« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
I don't think I posted this pic here, yet  :whistle:

My Rebar out drying in the back yard :)

Oh, and don't worry, it's got it's teeth back now. :D

:multi:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,581
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
A year ago I bought myself a Rebar, but it broke down on me after 2 days or so, they gave me a new one in the store but this one also had some problems, so I bought myself a Wave and vowed never to buy a Rebar again (more info here).

Until yesterday ...  ::)

So I guess I'm back in the club  8).

P.S. Any of you guys ever placed the Rebar in that "new" al black Leather Wave sheath, I would like to know how it fits in that one (if it's not to loose), because I would like a Leather sheath for my Rebar with a pocket on the side for my MAG-lite Solitaire LED.  Maybe someone who has pics of a Rebar in the Leather Wave sheath, or else, just your thoughts on it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50
Site Currency: USD
30%