Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BUGOUT BAG IDEAS, PLEASE

N_N_R · 62 · 9809

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: BUGOUT BAG IDEAS, PLEASE
Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:05 AM
Yeah, I sort of accidentally ended up putting a canteen cup and stove in my EDC.

The fuel tabs, like esbits, are pretty small and very light. I don't carry them, though. I don't actually intend to use the stove in my EDC... or even one when bugging out. The food I take can just be eaten as-is.

I also have a small emergency stove like this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-9560-Emergency-Stove/dp/B00079YTS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338429187&sr=8-1

In various incarnations of my BOB, it has come and gone. Doesn't weigh much, but does weigh some, so...

Some people prefer Nalgene Bottles or stainless steel water bottles to canteens. In any case, you should have some kind of water containers. In my BOB, I have a water bottle with built-in filter, two 1-liter PETE soda bottles filled with water, and heavy duty ziplock freezer bags. In my GHB... my purse... where I simply can't fit bottles, I take heavy duty ziplock bags.

The Poncho thing... it's really a matter of keeping dry. If you do it with a good water resistant jacket or poncho doesn't matter. But some people like the duel purpose of being able to also use a poncho for a lean-to shelter.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 05:23:14 AM
I think the b.o.b is a cool thing, everyone has different ideas an gear. I keep switching things around to see what works best.
CHEERS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:18 AM
Yeah, I'm always playing with mine too... as money allows.

I still don't have any sleeping setup or ground pad. And there is a world of small things I'd like. Some for the BOB, some for EDC.

I have a crank-powered weather band radio in a home kit, but it's rather big and bulky for a BOB. I'd like a small one for either BOB or EDC. I need an emergency cell phone charger too.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 05:47:44 AM
It does sound like a lot- which it honestly can be. Steve is right, small and light will let you move faster, but for me, it's a long walk and my environment, last winter to the contrary, is one where cold and wet go hand in hand.

Some things you won't be carrying in your pack, like the boots and clothes- BoB should have them so that you can get out the door in in your pjs. The tools are there so you can get yourself out of the building, but I'm not carrying anything heavier than my spetnaz shovel for more than a few miles, becuase it does double duty as a light axe. The real weight in my pack is water, becuase while I can't go 3 kilometers without crossing a river or stream, I have a day and a half's worth of water becuase of the risk of contamination due to agchems and fuel. That's 6L for me, 2 in a bladder, the rest in bottles. If I didn't have to worry about that, I'd cut out two of the bottles in seconds. But a lot of is pretty light, taken individually, it's the cumulative that adds up, so you pack some things differently, like the first aid kit is one of the very few things I have in a hard container, most everything else is in mesh or very light nylon ditty bags.

And it sounds like you got medical and mobility factors that come into play. Shelter in place or a nearby public shelter may end up being the best case for your family if you can't get out by vehicle. That's why the planning comes first- it's probably the most important part and it's free. :) 

Of course, your BoB is for you and yours, your environment and your plan. And it will change- some people call it "playing with it", I call it "regular inspection and component upgrades"
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:54 AM
I need an emergency cell phone charger too.

I keep being stupid, don't I :bnghd: Of course I'll buy one more phone charger, how couldn't I think of that  :facepalm: lol. Given my earthquake experience and the fact that I couldn't/didn'tt ake the chrager with me, I thought that my ... original/only charger will be in my BOB... but then I'll buy another one :D An awesome idea :D

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 03:41:40 PM
This is my set up, I have a tent, bag, cloths,water in the car, I carry all the other
edc stuff in a mid size back pack. I try to always drive so the gear is with me, chances of using
that gear is slim, but it gives me peace of mind.
CHEERS

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 08:41:37 AM
Haha, I heard about BOBs for the first time on YouTube, but after the earthquake, they've started talking about them in Bulgaria, too. LOL. Ok, not a LOL at all.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
I think if I had a recommendation for people starting a BOB, I'd say put one together with what you have, or what you can get cheap. Just have SOMETHING ready. Then, as time and money allow, start working on perfecting it.

I have one trick that might be useful with BOBs. In the event that there are things you don't keep in you BOB but want to take with you when you bug out, you might consider having a printed list that you tape onto the BOB, something like "Things to grab on the way out". If you have medications that expire rapidly (my husband has this problem), spare cell batteries (on a charger or something), stuff like that.

I have a card I set on top of my purse that just says 'phone'. If I take my phone out of my purse to charge it, I put the card on top, so I don't leave the house without it.

The downside to this plan is if you're leaving your residence for some reason like a fire. It'd be preferable to just jump up and move, instead of having to worry about grabbing anything.

I was just thinking about general preparedness, and maybe a good starting book would be the LDS Preparedness Manual. You can just google it to find links to it for free online. I'm not affiliated with the Church of Latter Day Saints. I just think this particular document is pretty useful.

EDIT: thinking about shoes... my husband had one of his hikers blow out while we were on vacation. We did repairs with a little tube of superglue, so I carry little tubes for emergency repairs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:33:38 PM by Lynn LeFey »

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 04:36:29 PM
sparky, thanks, it was a really interesting video : )

+1 that was really worth watching and full of genuine info. Cheers!
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 05:32:07 PM
Fubar Tool from Stanley...Lots of uses in a Disaster
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 07:33:24 PM
Ok, here's what my BOB will include when I make it. Yeah, I haven't prepared it yet  :facepalm: We're just still living at another place and it's still a chaos around my family. Once we settle back home "forever", this will be the first thing I'll do. I want it compact and for just a couple of days the most. That's why I believe having more cash will be better- this way I'll be able to buy the water and food needed and other cheap stuff. So:

Money
Phone
Charger
Radio
Micra
Other knifie
Wallet/documents/cards
Socks
Batteries
Battery charger
Flashlight(s)
Jacket/blanket (light)
Lighter & Matches
Umbrella
Water
Pen&Paper
Pills(paracetamol, analgin, algozon, allergy stuff, renapril, citeral, band aids) - those are the medications that my family needs, I've written them the way they sound in my language.
Flashdrive
(Cam) & cables
Chocolate bar of some sort
Spare charger & Phone
Gloves (?!)

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 11:28:28 PM
PS...Lots of Duck Tape and Zip Ties...Bieng able to Fix things to me is always a priority
All kidding aside if you can pick up two books by Cody Lundin

98.6 Degrees
When All Hell Breaks Loose

Unique Style and Approach but in my Opinion...Very common sense and lots of info

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 01:37:53 PM
Okay, guys, thank you for the ideas of how to set up a BOB. After some thoughts, I made my first video after the earthquake here on 22nd May. Here I just express my opinion on BOBs :

I don't really say that what other people do is wrong. I only point out what wouldn't/would work out in my situation and speak from my own experience (unfortunately), therefore, don't take me wrong or sth.

Anyway, my conclusion of what a BOB for people in my situation (who are able to move to another place with basic needs like power & running water [well, cold, but still]) is:

- Have CASH.
- Have a spare or two spare mobiles, just make sure you have connection.
- Have a flashlight(s)
- Keep feet dry

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 02:47:22 PM
That was a fantastic video N_N_R, a much-needed dose of reality for many of the BOBs I've seen in a lot of the forums online (my own planned BOB included). Thanks for sharing your experiences!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:20:45 PM by user24 »
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:31 PM
That was a fantastic video N_N_R, a much-needed dose of reality for many of the BOBs I've seen in a lot of the forums online (my own planned BOB included). Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Thank you for watching : )

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:10 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the brands issue- you get the best you can afford, but so long as what you  have works, you have it and it works and that's what counts. And cash is king.

A phone charger is great. A spare phone... I've seen the cell phone system fail under a lot less than an earthquake, minor flooding that didn't even disrupt power and land line communications where I am have taken out cells twice in 15 months, although I'm also in the shadow of several ridges.

But I have to disagree with some of your conclusions. I could be misunderstanding, but it seems like you are dismissing the concept of a BoB. A BoB with a pair of good boots beside it and a change of clothes inside it. A BoB that has your meds in it, and a toothbrush. And I would say you are fortunate in that you have a place you could relocate to quickly and easily (a relative discription, as opposed to having to walk 50km+) under favorable weather conditions.

Admittedly, even a light pocket EDC is better than nothing. Pocket EDC and a wad of cash is much better. But let's play some what-if- what if your grandmother's house wasn't a viable option?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 06:04:28 AM
But let's play some what-if- what if your grandmother's house wasn't a viable option?

We'd have gone to my other granny's house :D Or to my sister (where I did go for a couple of days just to change the environment[she lives in another city]). But yeah, I know you're asking about if there's NOWHERE else to go. Don't know, I'll just consider myself lucky enough. My family has no car and my father's disabled, so I don't think we'd have been able to go too far away on our own if it hadn't been for our neighbours. May be we'd call for a taxi to just get us the hell out of there.
And from my own experience... again, I'd try to, but I'm not sure I'd be able to THINK what boots/shoes to put on, unfortunately. That's for far more experienced & tougher people, lol. I guess we'd go to the city square - large and spacious and wait for instructions from the authorities. They provided shelter for many families who didn't have where to go. In the meantime, may be we'd try to set some fire.... and hopefully find a blanket in my BOB... lol. Ah, and I definitely want to put an umbrella there. I doubt I'll find proper/light enough raincoats. Unfortunately, I think, my country's market is little prepared for selling "survival" stuff at low prices.

Yeah, I've definitely enlarged my pocket/purse EDC. I used to think that people carry too much with themselves before, but now I doubt I'm every going minimalist again.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:06:00 AM by N_N_R »

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 04:13:29 PM
You might go Minimalist again...Just take a moment now and again to look at what you carry what you use it for and if you really need it..I guess that is some of the Fun so to speak with a bug out bag or in my case my EDC pack I carry..In a pinch it could work as a Bug Out Bag or in a worst case scenario as a Driver a "Get Me Home Bag" but it still only weighs in a bit over 10 pounds or so.I always keep it close at hand in my car or Truck while I am at work...I have concentrated my efforts to bieng able to make basic repairs tend to minor injuries keep dry and hydrated..at least once a month I take a look at what I have inside and if it is really worth carrying in my bag

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:53 PM
Really enjoyed your vid. Some good thoughts in there. Preparedness isn't about what you put in your bag, it's about what you've got in your head.

You're right, for many people a BOB is just an excuse for buying lots of expensive kit - far more than you'd probably want to carry. Simple things like a lightweight sewing kit, some flat wrapped duct tape, some string (doesn't need to be super dooper paracord - just - something), a pocket tool/knife, flashlight ... they don't have to expensive, heavy or particularly bulky. A small first aid kit - not something for performing major surgery, just clean and put a dressing on a cut - or get that annoying splinter out. A disposable lighter won't break the bank or your back either. A small book or matches too maybe. Add a hot melt glue stick and you can mend your shoes (or whatever)

A metal drinks bottle rather than a plastic one will mean you've got a drink or be able to boil water if water pipes have broken, or the water isn't clean and you need to get water from improvised sources. A bandana will help you filter the water, or cover your mouth if it's dusty, or even be worn on your head  :D Lots of uses for a bandana. Garbage bags are another versatile material (ignore what they were made for, they're light and versatile) that you can keep water in, or use to keep water out, or patch a hole, or line a sodden boot. I'm not suggesting you carry a garbage bag everyday, just that cheap simple things can make a difference.

With a bit of inginuity you can put together a small and lightweight kit that will help make things easier for very little money. Survival bags cost a lot of money when you think they're just a heavy garbage bag. Paracord is more expensive than strong twine, but both will hold your jeans up mif your belt breaks. A heliograph is a comparatively expensive signalling device, when you might have a small mirror in your purse anyway. Whistles are cheap and light

If you've got a few simple little things like this, it can help make things easier. Knowing what you've got and how to use it and get the best out of it - knowing you've got some options - knowing you can do something to help someone else who didn't think about it and build a little kit like yours - helps too. You're not planning on living in the wilds for six months  :D just making things a little more manageable. Simple things, fixing a broken shoelace, broken glasses, a torn coat you can deal with. Got a saw on your SAK or MT, you can "acquire" a stick to use as a cane if you (or someone else) sprains an ankle getting out. Sticks are useful for lots of things too  :D Never hurts to have a bar of chocolate tucked away or a few boiled sweets either - doesn't have to be a full camp stove and several kilos of dehydrated food

You're thinking about it properly  :tu: but it will take a while of tweaking things and getting things wrong before you end up with something you're happy carrying which will help (if only a little bit) no matter what happens or what the weather. When you finally get it just right ... you'll probably find that you've changed your mind and want to tweak it a bit   ::)  :D :D

The more you have fun with the idea, the more you're putting ideas in your head of what item you could use for what job to fix what problem. Glad you got through it, and in a funny way it might have made your life a bit better - because next time, you'll be ready  :D

:salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:20 AM
I'm not sure I'd be able to THINK what boots/shoes to put on

Thats why I have a change of clothes in the bag and boots right next to it. You don't have to think. :)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20:05 AM
@Dtrain,

Yeah, I think that my BOB won't contain much more than my normal EDC, i.e. I EDC... my normal EDC and in case of a smurfin situation, I just grab the additional BOB.. if I happen to be home again. lol :X

@50ft-trad,

Thanks for the support, too! Yeah, indeed, those are great "cheap" ideas. And I'm also thinking if not to do sth/add sth which could help me deal with water... I mentioned before that in the other city, next to ours the water pipes had broken and what people had wasn't water, but mud. I'm definitely adding a chocolate bar in the BOB, but that will be all about food :D Something small and full of calories, just in case :D As I said in the video (thanks for watching, btw), I & my mother didn't think of any.... eating/drinking for about two days almost *crazy* this was a real crazy response to the shock situation. As if all normal physiological needs had just disappeared and we'd only concentrated on acquiring information and preparing to rush outside again.

@ironraven,

I see.. just I'm afraid it will make the BOB too big, but I'll see, when I'll indeed play with it :D That night there were people who'd rushed outside the buildig in pyjamas or underwear only....

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 06:02:30 AM
I'm with Ironraven on the boots thing, and I'd say a change of clothes for the exact thing you saw, of folks running outside in skivvies. I keep my BOB beside my bed, I just have to grab it and hop out a window (if need be). Doesn't matter if I'm butt-naked. I have a full change of clothes in there. I'd also add additional socks, but that comes from many hiking trips in my teens, where keeping my feet in good condition was paramount.

Chocolate bar... very nice, although you might consider something like M&Ms, which withstand temperature changes a little better, due to their coating. I don't know how hot it gets in the hottest part of the year there, but that might be important. Something some preparedness folks don't take into consideration is the possibility that if you have something like chocolate, and share with children, you can really make them feel better in an otherwise bad situation.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 06:26:39 AM
just I'm afraid it will make the BOB too big, but I'll see, when I'll indeed play with it :D That night there were people who'd rushed outside the buildig in pyjamas or underwear only....

In college, I had a fire drill that turned out to be either, someone left their fueled Zippo in their pocket and put it in the drier, or their ex put a shot glass of lighter fluid in the drier along with their clothes. Knowing the ex and that the guy in question doesn't smoke... irrr... yeah. Long story short, the only reason I wasn't out there in my bare feet is because my boots were always at my bedside, and my bag of tricks and jacket were always in my desk chair. There were people who literally bailed out in flip flops, bathrobes and underware.

Did I mention it was the middle of winter and about 0 (about -17 for everyone who isn't in the US) and that it took an hour before we could convince people we really needed to let people into  the lounges of other dorms? If I hadn't had spare clothes in my car, I would have been a very unhappy camper. If it wasn't for the fact that most people did grab boots and jackets, even if they did run the stairs with them in hand, and that most of us had something in our cars even if it was just a blanket, there could have been some very serious cold weather casualties.

I know some folks who have an old gym bag or messenger bag or even just a shopping bag with that change of clothes sitting next to or on top of BoB, and they plan to change or ditch those spare clothes as soon as they are clear, but YMMV. I actually keep a spare set in my BoB because assuming I grabbed my pants, that gives me spares for when I get wet- I know it will happen for most of the things that will effect me. Wet clothing sucks, even if it's wool which keeps more warmth than anything else wet does, it still sucks and it's cold and it's heavy and as soon as possible you want to be in shelter, in dry clothes, and trying the wet stuff as best you can.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 03:24:11 PM
Ok, guys, thank you all once again for all the advice & ideas! : )

I've finally gotten down to preparing somewhat of a basic BOB. I'm not home yet, anyway, just coming home for a few hours. Family & I decided to stay at my gran's house for a while, just for a change. So now I'm rereading the topic and throwing this and that in the bag....

I must admit preparing a BOB turned out to be far more complicated & difficult that I'd expected! LOL. It also turned out we didn't have basic medications at home. I must go shopping these days for lots of simple things. The preparation will be in progress for some time. But anyway, I've at least started something.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 04:57:57 PM
Well done, good luck, and we're here if you need us for any more ideas :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #55 on: August 27, 2012, 07:40:09 AM
I'm absolutely ashamed of myself. It's been more than three months and I haven't prepared a BOB at all yet. I've just thrown some stuff in a backpack near my bed, but that's nowhere near as organized and complete as many of you guys' BOBs here. I just keep carrying my EDC all over the place and that's it... I guess preppers are just born such and some people will never be prepared :facepalm:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: August 28, 2012, 02:44:48 AM
Preppers are born, yes. That is how a half blind, mostly deaf, fangless, clawless, unarmoured, slow moving appetizer became the dominant life form on this planet. :)

The biggest thing is that you've got your plan. You have gaps in materials, and you know what they are- make a list. Part of that is confirming by sight and touch what is in that pack, and that will let you organize. And now... you start planning. Put money away. You see batteries on sale, get some. Ohh, it's getting cold out, the rain gear is getting liquidated to make room for winter coats. (Make a special note, the same store might have a good price on winter socks and sweaters in the spring.)

I know people who took ten years to get their BoB to where they are happy by doing just this. They did sales, second hand, and they upgraded when they could, how they could, having started with a cheapie minimag knock off, a SAK, pair of pliers, a box of band aids, some duct tape, a toothbrush, lighter, jar of peanut butter, a free road map and some garbage bags.

So even if you feel like you didn't do anything... eh. You've got your EDC, which means you are doing better than most people. People survive all the time with no cash, no knife, no tools, no light, bad clothing, no skills, and no plan. You've already stacked the deck in your favor.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #57 on: August 28, 2012, 09:09:34 AM
Preppers are born, yes. That is how a half blind, mostly deaf, fangless, clawless, unarmoured, slow moving appetizer became the dominant life form on this planet. :)

The biggest thing is that you've got your plan. You have gaps in materials, and you know what they are- make a list. Part of that is confirming by sight and touch what is in that pack, and that will let you organize. And now... you start planning. Put money away. You see batteries on sale, get some. Ohh, it's getting cold out, the rain gear is getting liquidated to make room for winter coats. (Make a special note, the same store might have a good price on winter socks and sweaters in the spring.)

I know people who took ten years to get their BoB to where they are happy by doing just this. They did sales, second hand, and they upgraded when they could, how they could, having started with a cheapie minimag knock off, a SAK, pair of pliers, a box of band aids, some duct tape, a toothbrush, lighter, jar of peanut butter, a free road map and some garbage bags.

So even if you feel like you didn't do anything... eh. You've got your EDC, which means you are doing better than most people. People survive all the time with no cash, no knife, no tools, no light, bad clothing, no skills, and no plan. You've already stacked the deck in your favor.

Haha, thanks.

Put money away- my "BOB" is actually my "saving jar" - what remains in the end of the month, goes in it..

Sales/second hand- that's been my thing for some time... For the past few months I've been selling stuff I don't need and saving money for better ... well, flashlights. :D And intend to do more...

Ok, you've made me feel better :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:33 AM
My BOB is really just like Ironraven described as well. It started as a dufflebag my hubbie got for free at some random convention. Then it got upgraded to a backpack I asked for for Christmas a few years back. Same with the filtering water bottle. It started as just a couple 1-liter bottles of water. In fact, those two 1-liter bottles are still part of the bag. Lots of stuff was just things that were lying around the house (1-liter zip-lock bags, canned food, a spare pair of glasses, etc).

I think it's always going to be a work in progress.

Offline zatoichi

Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:57 AM
I restarted my BOB project with a Blackhawk SOF external frame pack.

It is tan and it does look a little less tacticool. But it does have large capacity. 3220 cu in in the main. 6k cu in with the whole bag.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%