Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Used SAK priority

GigaHz · 11 · 1485

Poll

What is the most desirable trait to a used SAK

100% original
4 (12.1%)
100% complete (nothing broken)
22 (66.7%)
The infamous Victorinox snap
2 (6.1%)
Cleanliness
2 (6.1%)
Appearance
3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: June 05, 2012, 01:25:28 AM

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Used SAK priority
on: May 26, 2012, 01:25:28 AM
Mine used to be the snap. I would sell them when I couldn't get it. Now it is if something is broken, I have to fix it.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Used SAK priority
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:01:14 AM
As I've just taken my 97 Soldier out of my pocket, I'd have to say the snap, followed by appearance.  There's just something very satisfying about the snap of a Vic!!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:29:46 AM
For me, nothing broken. I don't collect. I use. Okay... maybe by this point it's considered collection, but it eventually comes down to wanting a serviceable tool set.

And, I have to say, I have been VERY impressed with Vic's longevity. I got a pre-1991 Explorer, and I don't think it had a spot of rust on it. That makes me think these might literally be tools you have for life.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:31:55 AM
I posted '100% complete' because if it is a vintage model, it might be very expensive to make it right again. For instance if a bail is broken or a clip point small blade is broken or an 84mm scissors is missing or damaged? Worthless knife.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
I agree with Lynn - I use all mine  - not worried about originals etc but I am so impressed with the utility value.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

de Offline Jmora

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:46:36 AM
I like the blade to be mint, not sharpened, I don't mind scratches on the scales and usually the other tools are in good condition on most old knives anyway.

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:19:44 AM
Since I'm not after the very rare types, I voted on 100% original. Most of the occasions, a thorough cleaning, and a small repairing, the used SAKs are as good as new. Foor example, I've got my cliimber that way.  :ahhh
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 08:38:12 PM
Amici,
Allow my to board the 100% original boat. I also use mine, but I have to admit, I hate scratches on a SAK or any blade, especially after sharpening.. I know some folks prefer a blade all scratched up as a badge of use. Me, I prefer spotless which kinda complicates conducting hard use. Must be the collector in me.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:11 AM
Personally I prefer to get my SAKs in as close of a new condition as possible. I like some worn out bits, such as worn out colored alox, but I prefer that I apply that wear myself  >:D

Offline k12cop

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:42:27 AM
I like mine NIB or nearly NIB...ill buy a new one without box if its gonna be a user, ill buy a beat up model of a mint I already have again to use...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Offline Mattexian

Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 04:08:42 AM
For a used SAK, i'd expect *some* wear and tear, but I'd prefer to find one with all the tools intact, so no worries about sending it off for repairs.  When any of my knives lose their snap, I know it's time for a thorough cleaning, usually starting with hosing out in the yard, to blast out any grit inside. Then a spritz of WD-40 to clear out the water, wipe down with a paper towel, then some 3-in-1 oil.  Usually restores it to "like new."  (Resulting in me getting a new nick on a finger, as the blade closes faster than I was used to!)

Matt in Texas
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88