Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Canopener on Wenger Rangergrip 61

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Canopener on Wenger Rangergrip 61
on: May 25, 2012, 07:49:37 PM
I just got myself a Wenger Rangergrip 61 and was a little disapointed.
I love the blade and they way it locks and unlocks, but the canopener is gnawing at my little finger when I use the knife.
 The canopener really stick out of the handle when closed, wich is kind of a designflaw in my opinion. On the other hand, it might just be that my hand dont fit the grip properly.

I guess I could cut the canopener off, as I probably wont need it. (Or I could cut off my little finger ;) ) But knowing Murphy and his laws, I would probably need it after it has been cut off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any good solutions?

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

bg Offline fenofedd

Re: Canopener on Wenger Rangergrip 61
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:56 PM
Use the knife while the can opener is not closed. I figure it won't get dramatically in the way if it is opened.
DM HG

us Offline Currahee

• Merely a figbar of your immigration.
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:24:08 PM
I own a RG178 and have never experienced a problem with the can opener bothering my pinkie finger. In fact, after I read your post I got my knife out just to get a better understanding of what you might be experiencing. Perhaps the additional layer on the 178 makes a difference? I don't know. What kind of cutting chores are you doing with that large blade that would be lengthy enough to cause the irritation your experiencing?

The saw blade adds an additional layer: http://tinyurl.com/RangerGrip178 Never had a problem with the can opener. Based upon my experience with the RangerGrip178 I am having difficulty grasping the problem?
Shoot low, they might be crawlin'

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:13 AM
Use the knife while the can opener is not closed. I figure it won't get dramatically in the way if it is opened.

That will work.
Only problem with that is that it wont be a easy onehand opener if I also have to open the canopener. :-\

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:12:42 PM
I own a RG178 and have never experienced a problem with the can opener bothering my pinkie finger. In fact, after I read your post I got my knife out just to get a better understanding of what you might be experiencing. Perhaps the additional layer on the 178 makes a difference? I don't know. What kind of cutting chores are you doing with that large blade that would be lengthy enough to cause the irritation your experiencing?

The saw blade adds an additional layer: http://tinyurl.com/RangerGrip178 Never had a problem with the can opener. Based upon my experience with the RangerGrip178 I am having difficulty grasping the problem?

The extra layer might make a differense. Or it might just be that my hand is the wrong size for the grip. 
I was feathering a peice of firewood with it when I started to feel it gnaw on my finger. Took only about 10sec to notice it. (I always test new knives by feathering a piece of dry firewood. This test reveals very fast if there is something bothering me with the blade or handle. This is something I usually do every time I light a fire.)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%