Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mod base or collectors item?!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Mod base or collectors item?!
on: May 28, 2012, 04:09:06 PM
Hello fellow members!

although i do own SAKs for what feels my entire life (i think i got my first spartan in 4th or 5th grade) i am new to the world of modding (Knifes, that is - restoring and building motorcycles is my hobby for a good dozen years) and collecting.

I am planning my second mod and i am thinking about a Cybertool with an added metal saw/file as i think it will com in handy on many occasions i use the cybertool.

I already have a CT 29 as a starting point and i purchased an old 5 layer SAK. It has red cellidor scales with the Camping inlay and carries the tools tha Ranger has minus some back layer tools.

The opener layer has an Awl without hole on the back, the scissor and saw come without a backside tool and the metal saw/file has a small screwdriver/nailcleaner.

The Corkscrew has 4 windings and is fluted.

The Tweezers have an aluminium end

The main blade says Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei, back reads Officer suisse with cross and crossbow

Both blades miss their tips.

So, my question is: Is this a collectible although it´s damaged? Shall i look for another parst donor or can i tear it apart without feeling bad?

Thanks for reading,
Thomas

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Re: Mod base or collectors item?!
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:39:22 PM
Some pictures would help....

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:59:26 PM
I´ll upload some tonight.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:48:26 PM
I think with two damaged blades it sounds like a parts knife, as it's never really going to be worth a heck of a lot... but pictures are always good just in case there is something special.

Also you should know there are a few versions of the metal file/saw and you may prefer a different version.  Before disassembly check that the file will work with how you see using it.  The latest stainless-steel cut one is more robust and more aggressive.  A cool mod I've always though would be to have one of the earlier files and the later SS file since they really are different courseness and thin enough that if two were in the same layer without a spacer it would not be that much extra.  Obtaining the newer file can be tricky though, not sure if there is a model easily a vailable that is guaranteed to have the new file.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:30:14 PM
Thanks for the Info on the different versions - am i right in assuming that the ss one is always the "new" version?

I gave a new Ranger knife with a new file/saw to my dad, i believe...  ::)

Nevermind, here come the pics.

I was quite sure it wouldn´t be worth a fortune, but i was thinking maybe someone would rather put in new blades and have a good old Ranger than me ripping it apart.

So, feedback is welcome.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:02:50 PM
This is a mid-70s Ranger in less-than-good condition. Not very collectible IMO. Good condition ones can be had on eBay for $15. If it were an unusual model like an Outdoorsman or even a Master Craftsman I'd say repair, but Rangers are quite common.

If it were me, I'd use as mod fodder.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:57 PM
I'd have no qualms about pulling it apart myself, so I say just go for it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline rotokid

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:47:16 AM
Howdy all,
I would say you are fine either wa you go with that one. If you would like the parts to replace the bad blades I have them in stock.
For everyone else that has been looking for parts I am sorry about the delays. I have spent the last three days with some added assistance going through and sorting out parts. With thousands upon thousands of parts with variants across the product lines and the date ranges I have in stock is a huge undertaking. We made up allot of ground on finishing the sorting and labeling the parts. Hopefully I can get the time to finally finish off this project very soon.
Rotokid

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:41 PM
Thanks for the insight. As the Ranger isn´t a SAK i´d tyoically carry, I think I´ll tear it apart  - good for you as some scattered parts will find it´s way into new homes and some practice for me in modding SAKs.

BTW: Is there any functonal advantage in a fluted corkscrew or was it just manufacured differently in those days?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:15 AM

BTW: Is there any functonal advantage in a fluted corkscrew or was it just manufacured differently in those days?
With the current corks used there does not appear to be any advantage.  There were a couple of different ways to making the fluted corkscrew in the past so they are all not a like.  In fact it seems there was probably several ways of making it and materials used. Non of the older ones appear any better, some worse, than the current design for the current corks that have been used for a while now.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:55 PM
Thanks for your answers.

I guess the next couple questions will be in the Mod section.

Looking forward to some 91 mm modding.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD