Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions on an entry level DSLR

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Opinions on an entry level DSLR
on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:27 AM
I am attempting to break into photograpy pretty soon, in order to create images for a website/print material for a business.  I decided that the cost and legal issues connected to subscription stock photos aren't worth it, and I know I can create the images I want myself.  I've done a bit of reading and due to budget constraints, have decided to stick to around $500 for my budget which, depending on how lucky I get, seems to be enough to get a decent entry level DSLR.  I have my eye on a few, but I keep coming back to the Nikon D3300.  There are plenty of stores that sell it with two lenses for $500 - $600 and it gets good reviews overall. 

I'm basically looking to shoot simple composition photographs of people both indoors and outdoors, maybe a few landscape shots here and there, and some shots of objects on tables and such, indoor and well lit.  What would you MTO photogs suggest I do? 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Opinions on an entry level DSLR
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:35:10 AM
any known brand should serve you well. Nikon, canon etc.

Make sure you budget for lenses too, as you may need extra wide angled lenses (landscapes, indoors) or telephoto ones.
Also look for proper Macro capability, if you will be making close-ups.

Examine the lenses you get with the package as they may not be suitable for what you want to do. (I assume they will be 18 to 200/300 combinations.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:38:42 AM
Yea, most of the cameras I am looking at come with at least an 18-55mm lens, some come with a 55-200 or 300.  I have literally no clue what lens to buy. 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:19 AM
Try the camera in the shop or, even better, at home. See if the 18mm (which in 35mm equivalent - real life- is a lot bigger) may not be wide enough to cover  the room you want to take a picture of/in.

More expensive lenses will be faster, have better optics/picture and enable you to take pictures with less light.
The 18mm to 200mm is a good general purpose combination and is low cost.
Tamron and others also produces lenses that work on the main brands, which may allow you to get a better lens for a lower cost than one branded as Canon/Nikon etc.

I have several lenses but generally just use/carry the 18-200 unless I know exactly what pictures I will be taking.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:57:18 AM
The Nikon 18-55 VR lens is very good, and pretty cheap - and I believe the new VR II version is even better.  It's probably the only lens you'll need for what you're describing, and it does macro stuff too.  I reckon the D3300 + 18-55 kit would be a great place to start (I have the 3100 and am very happy with it).  You don't have to buy other lenses straight away.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:07:53 AM
Thanks!  I have found it refurbished at Adorama for much less than anywhere else.  Pending some funds coming in, I want to order it. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:08:58 AM by Mercury »
Sean

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:33:59 AM
I ended up going with the D5300 instead of the 3300.  I got a deal on a refurbished model from Adorama, comes with the same 18-55mm kit lens.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:23 PM
Nice.  Let us know how you get on. :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 12:34:31 PM
I will!  It arrives tomorrow, and I plan on spending a few days tinkering with it straight off.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%