Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

That's not a knife law, THIS is a knife law.

bg Offline fenofedd

Re: That's not a knife law, THIS is a knife law.
Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 08:51:24 PM
We have the same law.
We have to pay $428 each year to the state network, by law.
What if you don't want to own a TV set?
DM HG

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:37 PM
We have the same law.
What if you don't want to own a TV set?

If you have no TV you won't have to pay. But they have controllers who sneak around looking through your windows and such to check if you have a TV or not. They will also ask to come inside to check if you have a TV.  If they suspect that you own a TV they will send you a bill.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

bg Offline fenofedd

Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 09:46:59 PM
That sound like a fun job. Sneaking around and spying on people...
DM HG

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57:09 PM
That isn't the end of it, in the UK they have a fleet of detector vans that can detect the household use of TV receiving equipment from the street. For apartment buildings and the such, they use hand-held detection devices that can measure both the direction and the strength of a TV signal.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 11:13:12 PM
We have the same law.

We had something like that also, it was called the tv tax -- people had to pay a given amount per tv set -- and ended somewhere around early 90's. A few years later they re-introduced it on a disguise: a new "audio visual contribution" which is charged on the electricity bill... regardless if there is any audio visual device at all. Even garages pay, for example.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 11:16:18 PM
In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store

Now I know where to go next time I'll be in UK.  :P

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 11:50:19 PM
6 hours later and no one went for it? What's this forum coming too? :ahhh   Ok, I'll do it :D

Lightener:

In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow

Has anyone warned Gareth?

:D

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14:02 AM
We have the same law.

Wow! I'm curious how that's enforced and if it means fewer commercials. They get us in the U.S. for everything including the air we breathe with taxes but most people would just watch TV and never pay and if they were sent a bill they'd say they didn't own a TV.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 02:43:58 AM
And one thing that deters a criminal is a lack of victims. Another is harsh punishment.
Actually, research in several fields has shown it's not the severity of punishment that deters crime, but the certainty of punishment.

Ever wonder why murder is still a fairly common crime, but kidnapping for ransom isn't?  You can't really get away with kidnap for ransom anymore; the kidnappers are pretty much always nailed when trying to make the pick-up/trade.  With murder, it's the opposite; the automatic appeal process means that anyone who actually kills someone else and ends up in prison facing a death penalty doesn't end up being executed for years, usually decades, after they've committed the crime. 

Call that "statistics" if you like, call me what you like, but this is a scientifically verified fact.  Harsher punishment does not guarantee a reduction in crime. 

And, yeah, it is a stupid law.   :facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:55 AM
We have the same law.

Wow! I'm curious how that's enforced and if it means fewer commercials. They get us in the U.S. for everything including the air we breathe with taxes but most people would just watch TV and never pay and if they were sent a bill they'd say they didn't own a TV.

Commercials are illegal on the programming for the state network, sponsoring is a grey area. So no commercial breaks at all in the programs from the non-commercial network. It's a handful of TV and radio channels which are funded by the TV licenses. It's pretty much like a smaller brother to the BBC.

If you claim you have no TV, the controller will ask to enter your home to check, he has no right to entry, but many people don't know they can deny the controller entry if they don't want him/her in the house. (Yes, we have the detector vans in Norway as well.) Now, if you deny the controller entry, the state network has basically two options, either take your word on faith (which is the normal option) or go to court. (Or they can simply bill you and hope you cave.) Simple as that. Norwegians have a very different mindset from Americans. More naïve, less legalistic, for good and bad.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 08:25:58 PM
What if you just use your TV for computer monitor? Do you still have to pay?

That's pretty much how my parents use theirs.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 08:30:01 PM
What if you just use your TV for computer monitor? Do you still have to pay?

Yes. The whole system is silly beyond the silliness and questionable morality of a license for a receiver. But the state network now only has digital transmissions, so if you don't have a decoder, you don't have to pay.

bg Offline fenofedd

Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 08:31:12 PM
The point is that TV law is dumb :facepalm: On the other hand they have to compensate somehow for the lack of commercials
DM HG

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 08:38:58 PM
The point is that TV law is dumb :facepalm: On the other hand they have to compensate somehow for the lack of commercials

The sum of stupidity is constant? :)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:45 PM

The sum of stupidity is constant? :)

The sum of stupidity is a constant. Simple formula: Place one or more politicians in a room. Infinite possibilities, always the same result.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:33 PM
What if you only watch streaming TV online?  Does that count?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 06:02:40 PM
What if you only watch streaming TV online?  Does that count?

They would really like to include it, but since the license legally speaking is for the receiver, streaming online doesn't count.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 06:31:00 PM
Here in the UK it's having the ability to watch live TV as it is broadcast ... including online streaming of programmes. You can however stream TV after the fact, such as news highlights etc. I had an inspector come to my house yesterday as it happens to find out why my address is not licensed. I have already registered as "do not need a license" but if they didn't check up, then everyone would be saying that I suppose. I was at work at the time so got back to a glossy folded card thingy which said "important:open immediately" or words to that effect. It said that an inspector had tried calling ... but not what to do about it other than pay for a license I don't need  :-\ I phoned the number, got through to a human being (wasn't easy), and tried putting them on the spot, and was told ...

Them: They'll try to call again
Me: But what if I'm out again
Them: They'll try again
Me: and if they still can't catch me in ...?
Them: They'll notify us
Me: Then what ...?
Them: It won't be a problem as you've told us you don't need a license
Me: But you already knew I didn't need a licence before this call
Them: .... (inane waffle because they were clueless)
Me: Look - they're checking I'm not lying - it's their job, but what if they can't confirm it ... is anything silly liable to happen that I need to nip in the bud. I believe you can issue a fine if you "suspect" I am avoiding a license illegally. How do I make sure this doesn't happen and you don't start issuing fines just because I work for a living?
Them: ....... they're just trying to confirm ...
Me: I know they are (repeat the question)
Them: ......  :shrug:
Me: ...  :bnghd:

Problem 1: Buffoons at the call centre
Problem 2: Inability to comprehend that someone might not want to watch telly because it's crap and there's far better things to do with your life
Course of action: Sit back, ignore everything, and accept that at some point there'll probably be some beaurocratic legal stupidity that I need to deal with  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 07:05:08 PM
Here in the UK... and accept that at some point there'll probably be some beaurocratic legal stupidity that I need to deal with  :-\

It's times like this that I am thankful that I live in the States. No governmental bureaucracy, everyone that works for the government is kind, understanding, intelligent, and has a firm grasp of common sense.
 :whistle:

bg Offline fenofedd

Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 07:09:22 PM
@ 50ft-trad

Can they really issue a fine on suspection without proof? This seems unconstitutional to me ???
DM HG

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 07:56:51 PM
t's times like this that I am thankful that I live in the States. No governmental bureaucracy, everyone that works for the government is kind, understanding, intelligent, and has a firm grasp of common sense.

For my next drink, I'll have what turnsouth's having.  :rofl:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 08:18:04 PM
@ 50ft-trad

Can they really issue a fine on suspection without proof? This seems unconstitutional incompetent and moronic to me ???

Fixed  :tu: :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:31 PM
Here in the UK... and accept that at some point there'll probably be some beaurocratic legal stupidity that I need to deal with  :-\

Those things always remind me of this bunch.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 08:43:50 PM
I love "Yes, (Prime) Minister", but I can't watch too much of it in one sitting, because I become depressed. It's simply too realistic.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 11:23:04 PM
I love "Yes, (Prime) Minister", but I can't watch too much of it in one sitting, because I become depressed. It's simply too realistic.

But less funnier  :facepalm:

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:19 PM
We have to pay tv and radio use licenses thru electricity bills... So everyone, even if they don't ever watch tv, like me, has to pay for it or they will cut our power :ahhh

After all, why you need electricity if you don't watch tv, right? :facepalm:

Also, we have many private companies that collect music listening rights fees for their clients. Each company is affiliated with some musicians, singers e.t.c. So, let's say I have a shop, I am required by law to pay each and every "rights" holding company (as long as they ask me to) even if I don't ever listen to their music (or any music) in my shop! Or even if I only listen to free-from-rights songs, or I sing my own song! :facepalm: Fees are calculated using complex mathematics which takes into consideration, among others: wind direction at the time the collector enters your shop, how much he likes your face, did you had his coffee ready when he appeared?, how tall are you, is pluto over scorpio at the time e.t.c. If you deny paying him, he will come the next day with a policeman which will cause you real trouble if you continue denying paying at a private company for a service which you don't use... :facepalm:

It's one thing to have naive or idiotic laws and another thing to have laws that allow and support "selected" private companies to pick your pockets at will.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%