Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll

Do you use your parking brake?

Yes, all the time
53 (68.8%)
No, I don't see a point to it
3 (3.9%)
Maybe, if I'm parked on a hill or something
15 (19.5%)
Do cars still come with those?
1 (1.3%)
Only when I drive a stick
5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted 77

Am I the only one who uses a parking brake? 5311

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,510 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Am I the only one who uses a parking brake?
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
I always use the handbrake when I park my car or Jeep, but my wife doesn't use it.  In fact I don't know of any of my friends who do use the handbrake.  My mother used to use it, and I suppose that's where I learned it from, but she stopped after an incident when it froze on in the winter.

So, here's a question for all of you- do you drive a standard or automatic, and if so, does it make a difference whether or not you use the handbrake?  And, in case there's a language difference, the parking brake is also called a hand brake or emergency or e-brake as well.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Keeper Of The PowerCut Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,886 - Allan

AHB dk

Re: Am I the only one who uses a parking brake?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
I always use the handbrake..  :)

"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius."
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,168 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Only on a hill.  It's how I roll. 8)

Mostly drive manuals, but we do have an auto in the big truck (Allison transmission).

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,517 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »
Only on a hill.  It's how I roll. 8)

Mostly drive manuals, but we do have an auto in the big truck (Allison transmission).

You're using it wrong  :pok:  :D :D

Manual car, and always put the handbrake on. I usually remember to take it off when I start driving too  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,741 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
I remember taking drivers ed back in highschool, they always said you only needed to use it on manuals, and thats the only time I do.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard
No Life Club Posts: 1,254
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
Auto tranny here, love manuals but they can get wearisome to drive here in NYC. I never use the parking brake but my wife does. I always think she somehow screwed up the car every time I drive it after she parks it, then I look down and the parking break is on :whistle: I think I got out of the habit after a similar experience to Grant's mother.

Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 42,959 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »
Never rode a bike with one :P :D

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
No Life Club Posts: 2,184 This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:24:58 PM »
Always park with the handbrake on and the car left in gear just in case.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,733 You're amongst friends.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
I never use the parking brake, and when I have in the past, I have forgotten to disengage it and driven with it on!   :ahhh

SAW
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,340
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
I only drive manuals, so I always use the handbrake.  Also use it to go around a tight hairpin (just kidding  ;)).
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,909 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
I use the handbrake. We only have an automatic now, but years of driving a standard get you into the habit, I guess.
Full Member Posts: 178
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
Automatic here, always use it no matter what.  Except mine isn't a handbrake as such, it's a pedal on the floor.

One should always use the brake even in an automatic, not doing so causes undue wear on the "parking pin".

From wiki:

Park (P)
This selection mechanically locks the output shaft of transmission, restricting the vehicle from moving in any direction. A parking pawl prevents the transmission from rotating, and therefore the vehicle from moving, although the vehicle's non-driven roadwheels may still rotate freely. For this reason, it is recommended to use the hand brake (or parking brake) because this actually locks (in most cases) the rear wheels and prevents them from moving. This also increases the life of the transmission and the park pin mechanism, because parking on an incline with the transmission in park without the parking brake engaged will cause undue stress on the parking pin.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,510 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
Good to see I'm not the only one.  Once years ago I was driving a friend's car to the store and back and the brake felt weird and the car kept stalling.  Turns out it was off (he never used it) and I'd put it on...  :ahhh

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,459 Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
An unplowed empty parking lot in winter, get some speed, cut the wheel and pull the e-brake.....does that count?  :think:  If not, than the answer is no.

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D
Newbie Posts: 39
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »

Same here , last week a friend had his camper damaged by a car rolling down into him , he then did the same (handbrake not on properly ) a couple of days later , he was lucky, it did not hit anything.

Technique and Confidence
Full Member Posts: 139 In brightest day....
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »
I used to use it all the time until I got married.  My wife never used her parking brake so she would forget to release it on my car.  I stopped using it since I figured if she drove (even for a short distance) while it was engaged it was riskier over time than damaging the parking pin.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:47:28 PM by powerring »
No Life Club Posts: 3,785 Why is it doing that?
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »

+1 :tu:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,371
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I only use the parking brake when parking on an incline.
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,590
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »
I didn't realise there was anyone out there who wouldn't use the hand break!  I drive a manual and use the hand break every single time.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,168 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
OK.

I KNOW I should use the parking brake every time, but I'm reckless and carefree.  If I don't perceive a rolling risk, I don't apply it. It's my automotive equivalent of BASE jumping.  :D

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,220 buh
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »
I didn't realise there was anyone out there who wouldn't use the hand break!  I drive a manual and use the hand break every single time.

same here, i dont leave it in gear though, aren't you meant to on hills?

I
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,590
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »

same here, i dont leave it in gear though, aren't you meant to on hills?
I do if it's properly steep, also I've been know to turn the wheels in to point at the kerb.  That way if it should somehow start moving it'll roll into the kerb stone and not straight down the hill. 

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
No Life Club Posts: 1,254
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »
I do if it's properly steep, also I've been know to turn the wheels in to point at the kerb.  That way if it should somehow start moving it'll roll into the kerb stone and not straight down the hill.

They used to give you a ticket here in the city if you didn't turn your wheels towards the curb but that hasn't been the case for many years now. I'm just waiting for the city to start ticketing again for that since they are always looking for new ways to generate revenue :ahhh
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,378
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
i use it all the time in the jeep

stick shift

:like:    :MTO:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,241 AKA Knife Crazied
Am I the only one who uses a parking brake?
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:20 AM »
Only when parking on a hill.

Sent from Ash forum mobile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 02:35:20 AM »
I'm glad to see other folks using the hand brake as well- now I don't feel quite so alone.  I use mine all the time in both my VW (automatic) and my Jeep (manual) although since I usually park the Jeep on the hill at the side of my house I usually put it in gear and get the tire onto the curb too, just in case.  I'd hate for it to roll down the hill and make a mess of my neighbor's house.

When I'm in a level parking lot or stopped on level ground I usually just put the parking brake on and leave the stick in neutral.  I'm always afraid I am going to forget that I left it in gear and when I start it, it'll lurch forward and hit something, so I don't leave it in gear unless I have to.

Years ago when I had a Chevy Tracker I used to put the transfer case in neutral whenever I left it with the top down in case anyone tried to hotwire it, they wouldn't get far!  :D

Def

Hero Member Posts: 968
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:31 AM »
Manual and I use the handbrake.  In our automatic it's 50/50 if I use it.  There is one vehicle that has what I consider a design flaw so I only set that one on a hill.

Sent from my MB860

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill
Hero Member Posts: 717 Tupperware Hunter
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 05:09:26 AM »
I've seen a number of people (even helped tow one car out of a field) have their car disappear from their drive way of its own accord because they relied on the auto transmission to hold their can in place.

I used to have a manual Saab 9-5 - which the key was in the center console, and was fitted with a mechanism that wouldn't allow you to remove the key until you'd put the transmission in reverse. Using the handbrake is more important that most folks realise!

Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy
Newbie Posts: 39
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 06:23:42 PM »
I have owned a couple of Saab's , great cars, the gearbox lock is a really good idea , apparently steering locks are very easy to disable . But it did confuse me at first  :-[ , only because the previous owner neglected to tell me about it . Key sat in the ignition for two days  :).

Technique and Confidence
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,452 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
since I recently got my license and car which is manual, I was taught to use it... so I do...

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $232.83
PayPal Fees: $13.55
Net Balance: $219.28
Below Goal: $80.72
Site Currency: USD